Question for the ppl who have lost a significant amount of weight already

Options
BaconSan2
BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
Is there any way to avoid that dreaded melted candle look? I'm talking about excess skin. Even at my small weight loss I am noticing a crepe-ness around the very top of my arms & legs. I know exercise & replacing with muscle will help some but I wouldn't be able to replace 100 lbs with muscle without looking like the minotaur - even if I could do it which given my level of laziness I can not.
Yoga or pilates maybe? I don't want to go the surgery route. I have never had a general anesthetic & I worry at my age I might not wake up.
And there is the other thing - the older you are the less resilency your skin has, right?
Though in the end I would prefer loose skin to toxic fat and I know that the former is much healthier. I also don't expect to be in too many situations where a lot of naked me is showing anyway.

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Wattle is mostly hidden by a need to shave look.
    Slight bat wings, lifting at work keeps that under control.
    Inner thighs & butt, is only a little less hangy than my
    stomach flap :s
    only 75 more pounds to lose

>:) or o:)
  • aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A client of mine lost over 100 pounds. She doesn't look saggy in the least. She worn compression clothing while working out. Now, I don't know how much was just good genes and such, but she is mid 40s and looks awesome. She would not wait till her workout clothes were falling off her before buying new ones. I don't know if this helps everyone, but it might be worth a try if your concerned. I'm of the philosophy if it doesn't hurt you, why not?
    *Also, her workout clothes were just workout compression, not medical grade compression. I asked her:)*
    And if anyone has any other suggestions I would be interested:)
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    Thanks everyone. RowdysLady - I had a good laugh about Shar Pei rolls. I already have puffy ones. Compression clothing - I wonder why that would help? I don't go to public pools etc. I wouldn't be wearing a small bathing suit at this age, I don't go to the beach except to walk my dog & you are right all of my friends at this age have looked crepey for awhile. I know my DH though he has been incredibly supportive during my all my fat years would prefer me crepey to fat & I would too. I'm a chicken you know what about going in for surgery, both my mom & MIL died because of doctor errors. I would rather be saggy, happy and alive.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What @baconslave said

Your body will do a little housecleaning, over time. Lots of time. And it will be limited in how tight it's possible to go. It just depends on how much extra there is...
    What can help your body do the work is getting collagen. Lots of it. Bone broth is probably the best way to go.
    The Primal Kitchen bars have lots of collagen in them. Even more than a cup of bone broth.
    I add collagen to my coffee. I bought it from Bulk Supplements on Amazon. It's bovine collagen. I try to get several teaspoons a day at least. I haven't lost any weight in almost a year but I have gone down a size and a half in pants. I really think it's due to this skin and fat reconstruction.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Eventually you may consider surgical removal of excess skin

It will get in the way and become an irritant.

Not cheap but after two years of weight loss I was glad I did it

It isn't cheap but if you have lost lots of weight, the results are dramatic.
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the comments. I have a long way even to go until I get there. But I mean why not get a jump on worrying when I can LOL I told my hubby all about it he said "We will deal with it when we get there." Practical guy.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    A combination of adding collagen hydrolysate to any recipes you make at home and a combination of strength training and/or cardio exercise is your best bet to naturally combat loose skin.
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    Very funny
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @KenSmith108 Haaaaaaaaaaaa! That one really made me chuckle.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Being male, and having lost the majority of my weight (106 at the moment) over the course of three years helped immensely. The male part only really applies, because it will be much easier for me to fill in the remaining loose skin with lean mass. Unfortunately, women don't have it quite so easy, unless they want to go the anabolic route.

Basically, time, muscular accumulation, and surgery are the only things that do it in for good, and the first two can only accomplish but so much, depending on how much you lose.
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    I found this book on Amazon
    Firm Loose Skin: A Guide to Natural and Effective Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Methods
    by Melynda Majors (Author)
    Haven't lost enough weight to even have any loose skin but I like to have a plan for as many future potential disasters I can think up cuz thats how I roll
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

The excess skin talk starts at 32:42ish.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Why does the collagen hydrolysate have to be so darned expensive? :angry:
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    I was looking on Amazon & it is way too expensive - thought I would check the US Costco - would it be there with protein powders etc?