Weekly Post - 28.8. - 03.09.2016

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
Had a very warm night and an interesting visitor at 2 am....had all my windows open and heard / felt wing flapping over my head...birds don't fly at night...bats do. Oh my. Opened my blinds and curtains and it found it's way out. Bats are big, when they fly around your apartment.... :#

It's gonna be hot again today. Thus brekkie on my balcony before having to go back in because it's too hot out there

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I would have freaked out!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I kinda did in a quiet way...but all it wanted was to get back out, so opening the curtains seemed the logical solution at 2am ;)

As a spirit animal, it probably came to me for a reason... bats are a sign of intuition, communication and a few other things that are of importance in my life atm...
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I probably would have freaked out too, which wouldn't help the situation. Glad you stayed so calm flumi :)

I haven't been able to fast for a couple of weeks due to nausea and stomach issues. Feeling better now, so I might try a fast on my next rest day (can't fast on running days, end up feeling sick).
  • oolou
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you've not been feeling well, ACSL.
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I moved my Monday fast to Tuesday (today). This flexibility is what I love about 5:2. There were temptations and ideas of just skipping the week, but held strong. I even went to the grocery and stuck to under 500 calories. Exercise has been non-existent because I strained my hip flexor. I broke down and booked a doctor's appointment to get a professional opinion instead of continuing to self diagnose via Google. I just want to run again!

Have a great week!
  • oolou
    Options
    Cool to hear you had a good FD, dry! I hope the doctor can sort out your problem.

I had a pretty easy FD on Monday and will have my second tomorrow (Thurs). I've switched my fast day menu from one large meal at the end of the day to having three small meals of porridge instead - mid afternoon, early evening, late evening. This is working well for me and is also bang on the 500 calories mark each time.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    ACSL3 - hope everything normalizes soon and you feel better
    dryheatfitness - a doctor's opinion is a good idea...hope it heals quickly!
    Good job on your fast oolou. If three meals help you go for it! I do well on a small lunch and a 350cal dinner. If my meals are too many and too small I get hungry ;-) But some people are grazers.

My monday fast wasn't perfect, but it was OK. Had two good 'normal' days on Tuesday and today including biking to work and back and then a horse back ride today. Next fast is tomorrow. Food is planned and ready, so let's do it!
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Today I have my second FD planned. I've really been struggling with FD and my new schedule. I've been exercising A LOT and honestly, it's making me super hungry, which is leading to less than optimal FD. I'm finding it hard to find that "sweet spot" of exercising enough without causing me to eat everything!! Sometimes, the hunger is tolerable, but lately, it's unbearable. It's almost like there has to be two elements present, hunger and the drive to eat. Sometimes I'm hungry, but my drive to eat is manageable. Lately, I'm hungry and the drive to eat is overpowering. It's happened to me before and I just ride it out. It usually passes. Right now, it seems to be lasting longer so I'm paying more attention. Anyone else have a way to ride this out? Has anyone else found a balance between amount of exercise and ability to manage hunger?
  • flumi_f
    Options
    That's a hard one flossy. But cardio makes me hungrier than strength and a 300cal burn doesn't trigger my hunger like 500+ burn. Then there is the hormonal cycle...this triggers cravings that are very hard to resist! In the end it seems to be more of a question of my mindset than anything else. I'm doing OK atm, but really struggled to get in a good fast for most of last year and truth be told...often didn't log or at least not everything on nfds. That led to weight gain and I have returned to more honestly and that has helped me get back on track.

Had a good fast day today and used my new toy. A spiralizing gadget...zucchini spaghetti with a tomato onion tuna sauce spiced with chilli flakes and fresh herbs. All for 180cals and very yummy! Have had a good week and will bike to work tomorrow. Weather is beautiful and it gets me a few extra cals for tgif-ing B)
  • oolou
    Options
    I had a good FD yesterday. Your new gadget sounds intriguing, Flumi ^^

Sorry, I have no advice to offer flossy as I'm doing hardly any exercise these last couple months so have yet to experience a fast day on a day with a lot of exercise. It does sound very frustrating though :(
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    What a week people ... Bats!! I would really freak out on that!!

I've got a pear tree that has blessed us with more pears than we've ever seen! So unfortunately I've been baking all week! Pear & blueberry crisp! Pear pie, pear muffins, tarts, pears sliced in the freezer, pears everywhere!! No time for fasting right now. Out for dinner twice this week too.

As for the exercise, I find that it curbs my appetite. I especially like how I feel when I get about 6k walk in early before eating anything, followed by a 30 min weights session, then eat. The trick is, in my opinion, is enough natural protein. I'm not vegan so not sure you, flossy, would have cottage cheese or eggs or not, but theyre a great source of protein. Unsalted nuts added to salads etc. help. I also like peanut butter right on the banana, no bread - any extra protein helps keep me full.

I'm hoping to get back to normal next week! I may try a fast tomorrow... Unless there is more socializing in my future :D
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The spiralizer thing is pretty cool, Flumi, and you can find some interesting ideas on Pinterest (zoodles, anyone?...aka zucchini noodles).

Mama, I'm picturing you buried in your house underneath a mountain of pears. Ah, the hazards of growing your own produce. Too much and the risk of getting sick of it!!

Had a very good, by the book fast yesterday. Backed off on hard core exercise. Instead, did a solid stretching session (which is still pretty intense) and then some paddle boarding. I am a little sore. Today, I have ballet. I'm definitely paying attention to the exercise/hunger crossover point. I'm still maintaining my loss, but I don't like that feeling of white-knuckling it to get through a FD. Next week I'll plan my FD for Tues (in subbing) and Fri (hubby is working, so no celebratory end of week pizza and beer night). Hopefully, my efforts to get back to what led to my initial success will help me get my mojo back ;) Happy Weekend and Labor Day (if you're in the US), everyone!!
  • flumi_f
    Options
    I agree with mama's comments on protein and fat. They keep me full while carbs (especially grain carbs) make me hungry. If you're a vegan a mix of a protein source and an avocado or nuts might help curb cravings.

Well I saw my bat friend this morning... it was up quite late (as in after dawn) flying around outside of my balcony. It seems to be living in the wooden beams in the balcony above me (nobody lives there). Don't know, if it's young or lost it's flock as bats normally sleep in groups.

Have had a really good week food and fast wise. Weight is reacting slowly. Had my sweets and my tgif beer today and barely touched my exercise cals. Grain carbs have been low and protein high...that helps me a lot. Also biked to work and back twice. Will get a run in tomorrow, if it's not too hot.

Loving my spiralizer. Cucumber spaghetti salad with tomatoes olives parmesan for dinner. The different shapes make for a different texture and taste. Had zoodles yesterday with a tuna tomato sauce (awesome fast day meal, quick, easy and fresh). Will try the gadget on beets for a beet and apple salad and on sweet potatoes to make fried sp-nests this weekend. Full of ideas...

Enjoy your weekend!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I had a pretty good week. I only got one fast day in, but I was pretty good the other days, so it ended up as a loss. :) I also faced the temptation of junk food in the teachers' lounge. I did have a chocolate donut with sprinkles, but I adjusted for it later and came out ok.
    I also joined a MFP exercise challenge. I have my eating in line, and I get a boatload of steps in during the school week, but I need to tone up all the flabby bits. So, I am going to add in a toning routine and the challenge will help me stick to it. :) Have a great day, y'all!
  • RoxianneM
    RoxianneM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @KateNkognito What challenge are you doing? I'm only getting about 5000 steps on school days, and this long weekend I did housework and lesson planning.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Still been doing my fast Days. With the long weekend I am changing my normal Monday fast day to tomorrow. Increased exercise and I feel like I'm always hungry. Doesn't help that it is PMS time. Hope everyone is trucking along!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Had a low cal day yesterday... Ended in the 800's so, not a fast....chocolate was to blame. It's a lot cooler outside now and I'm realizing I need a new jacket!!! My last years windbreaker is way too big!! So that's a nice visual! I'm hoping to purchase new runners too, mine were given to me for a bday present from the husband last October which was instrumental in me signing up to MFP to log my steps somewhere, only then did I realize you could log calories too! Duh! I really should have purchased new runners months ago, but they're so expensive! So, painfully waiting for my bday to roll around again!!

I'm still buried under pears here! Should've opened a stand at our local farmers outdoor market!!! I've learned how to freeze them beautifully so if anyone needs tips....! And if you've never made a pear pie, they're so good with fresh ginger! Weird I know, but delish!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    @RoxianneM It is the September Slingride. :)
  • RoxianneM
    RoxianneM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I want to sign up for a challenge. Just not sure what I can manage. I haven't even been to the gym this week.