Has any one tried carb cycling?

Options
gunnerslove77
gunnerslove77 Posts: 299 Member
I've heard a little bit about this and have tried to have a high carb day once a week this last month, but found it was just an excuse to be naughtie :s is this concept viable or am I being stupid? Has any one tried it and found it beneficial? To be honest I tried it Friday supper time as I knew given a whole day I'd have a week full of treats in just one day!! I don't find it hard going back to under 50g and I'm actually down 4lbs since last week!!

Replies

• jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It was viable for me and my family. I lost 30 lbs last summer doing carb night...and trust me I was very naughty (dairy queen blizzards and donuts), BUT if you can be not naughty (really hard for us carb addicts) and just do "normal" carbs then it could work for you too.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lady above. It's much too slippery a slope for this. SuperGal. I blew it twice before, in the past two years, messing around with sugar. Doesn't work for this addict. :)

Let us know what happens!
  • gunnerslove77
    gunnerslove77 Posts: 299 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks for replying I'll let you know if carb cycling is viable for me.. i also have a bit of a carb addiction but love this woe and find it really easy to keep to. But hard to limit treats to just one so if I can't keep the calories down I'll try just increasing carbs with fruits and veg!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually have one night a week that my carbs are quite a bit higher. I don't eat meat so my high carb meals are usually vegetable and potato based or I splurge on extra fruit. I figure that since it isn't grains or refined sugar, it isn't too bad, and it doesn't seem to trigger junk food cravings. It hasn't stopped weight loss, although now that I am within 10 pounds of my goal, the weight is coming off a bit slower.
  • ketold727
    ketold727 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did carbnite and it just maintained me. No matter how many calories I cut I would just spend the week losing what I gained in my 4 hour carbnite. A relative did it with me and kept losing (a woman). Maybe it is better for women or maybe it just doesn't work for some people. I was very strict in following the book.

It was the beginning if my weightregain.

Lesson learned carbnite is not for me.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I learned my lesson last Christmas when I thought after six months of strict LC I could indulge in some holiday nibbling. I didn't gain any weight but that was only because after a few "treats" I was bloated up like the Goodyear blimp and miserable. It seemed very unfair at the time but now I see it as a blessing. We recently attended a well catered wedding, with all the traditiobal carb bombs before and after, and nothing looked worth the discomfort. (I inflicted serious damage on the shrimp and bacon wraps, however.)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    For me, I've learned with just a bite or two of something carb filled makes me feel lousy. I can't even imagine eating doughnuts with all the sugar and flour.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    For me, I've learned with just a bite or two of something carb filled makes me feel lousy. I can't even imagine eating doughnuts with all the sugar and flour.

Now see...I can TOTALLY imagine eating donuts.....which oddly keeps me from doing so. I imagine eating different foods from time to time....like seriously focusing on the bite, the texture etc. Therefore, I really experience it without the physical experience....maybe I meditate too much lol
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I had family over for barbecue and it was really hot so I had a few beers and few potato chips with onion dip, my fave and I thought for sure I would eat the whole bowl after having just one but I surprised myself and only had handful. The next day I went back to my IF and feel good about it. I think for myself if I want something that is not part of this WOE I am better off to have it that one day and then get back on track next day. I have been on this plan for about 4 weeks and this is the first time doing this "cheat". As long as it does not happen all the time I feel one cheat meal is ok.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have introduced carb cycling after 6-8 weeks before usually when I start to stall weight loss wise and have enjoyed my results. Usually it will coincide with some weekend event and i'm always right back on the next morning. For me though I don't have any medically influencing reasons to eat low carb...I just use it to drop summer pounds so I'm not worried about falling off the wagon or anything like that.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I definitely carb cycle and try to have at least 2 higher carb days a week...I do try to make them healthy carbs like fruit or vegetables or rice, not junkfood...I do try to workout a lot...it doesn't seem to impact my scale weight - but to be fair my scale weight fluctuates so much from day to day for no apparent reason, I'm not sure I would notice...like anything else in the health world, everyone responds differently so give it a try and see how your body reacts!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I started a protein heavy CKD last week, to supplement my lifting regimen. My refeeds are not something I would recommend to anyone who isn't training hard, or lacks proper discipline. Last Friday's was about 460g of carbs, in the form of a medium Papa John's Spicy Italian Pizza, and an order of breadsticks.
    Like many here, I woke the next morning to a large increase in scale weight (157 up to 160). However, unlike most, there was no bloat. There was massively increased vascularity, more notable striations in the musculature, and I am still wrecking *kitten* in the gym, days later, despite having dropped right back into keto within 24 hours.

TL; DR- it works great if you are training hard, and already below 12-15% bodyfat. Otherwise, it's probably going to screw you, make you feel like crap, and take you quite some time to get back into a ketogenic state.

ETA: in the interest of full disclosure, I am also on a shitload of stimulants, and an estrogen blocker. So yeah, there's that too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And we have another *kitten proof* word! Woot!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My down hill spiral is attached to what type of carbs I reach for.....
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

Now see...I can TOTALLY imagine eating donuts.....which oddly keeps me from doing so. I imagine eating different foods from time to time....like seriously focusing on the bite, the texture etc. Therefore, I really experience it without the physical experience....maybe I meditate too much lol

I do this as well. I can usually visualize and taste it. If I do happen to cave and eat what I was craving it is never as good as I thought it would taste.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. My trainer is encouraging me to incorporate one "refeed" day a week after a couple of weeks low carb to keep my body guessing at what is going on. My weight loss has been non-existant so far counting macros and lifting heavy (though I've lost tons of inches and down two sizes in 6 months). Wouldn't normally be an issue, but I do have to get weight off my hip for my replacement.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    merflan wrote: »
    Interesting topic. My trainer is encouraging me to incorporate one "refeed" day a week after a couple of weeks low carb to keep my body guessing at what is going on. My weight loss has been non-existant so far counting macros and lifting heavy (though I've lost tons of inches and down two sizes in 6 months). Wouldn't normally be an issue, but I do have to get weight off my hip for my replacement.

If you're losing "tons of inches and down 2 sizes" you're in effect doing a recomp. Which is kinda like the holy grail in fitness. I'd try a calorie cycling approach before carb cycling. -300 to -500 kcal on rest days and + same amount on training days. Try it 3 weeks, reassess results? Remember that the the scale is probably the WORST measure of progress while exercising currently available. Many members in this group can attest to this, including myself. I went down from size L-M to size S-XS in spring summer 2015. The scales were not moving much.

Exercise can mask fat loss on scales cause inflammation for tissue repairs retains more water in the body. Usually the clothes fit better, though unless you have monster quads.

If your trainer or anyone tries to push something onto you, ask them to explain "why". Then do your research and make your own conclusions :)
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    merflan wrote: »

If you're losing "tons of inches and down 2 sizes" you're in effect doing a recomp. Which is kinda like the holy grail in fitness. I'd try a calorie cycling approach before carb cycling. -300 to -500 kcal on rest days and + same amount on training days. Try it 3 weeks, reassess results? Remember that the the scale is probably the WORST measure of progress while exercising currently available. Many members in this group can attest to this, including myself. I went down from size L-M to size S-XS in spring summer 2015. The scales were not moving much.

Exercise can mask fat loss on scales cause inflammation for tissue repairs retains more water in the body. Usually the clothes fit better, though unless you have monster quads.
    I wouldn't say he's pushing it on me, he's really knowledgable and I defenitely trust him. He's not the one pushing the weight loss, he loves that I'm his one female client not trying to "get skinny" and pushing PRs every week on my lifts. However, I need a hip replacement and weight is defenitely a factor in how long my new hip will last me...and even when the surgeon will be willing to put the hip in. I've defenitely lost sizes, but still a large woman ;)
    If your trainer or anyone tries to push something onto you, ask them to explain "why". Then do your research and make your own conclusions :)