September Goals Thread

Options
cmchandler74
cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
We're through the worst of the summer heat. Time for some fall weather to cool things down. This is an AWESOME time of year for exercise. I'm just sayin'.

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1. Increase weight training time
    2. Start running again to train for fall/winter runs
    3. Increase protein intake to account for increased exercise
    4. Water water water water water
    5. Cut back on coffee. I'm getting junked up on it again.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I hope to get my 4.5 mile running loop down to a continuous pace. It's a difficult loop, because the hills don't kick in until after the first 1.5 miles. and they are long, angry hills.

Once I can make it all the way around, I'll work on squeezing in another .5 mile for the even 5. I never thought I'd consider myself a "runner".
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Since my surgeon has me shifting gears with my exercise routine, my plan is -

30 minutes of HIIT 5 times a week min
    30 minutes of strength 5 times a week min
    yoga 2 times a week
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure to hit my protein goal daily--including weekends when I tend to slide
    2. Incorporate exercise on one weekend day each week
    3. Continue current weight/cardio routine
    4. Go to bed earlier
    5. Consistently plan, shop, and cook for meals
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Ok...time to get serious again. The summer is over, and so are my excuses.
    1. Get back to a set routine at the gym. I'm trying to build muscle, but also want something maintainable in the long-term, I'm thinking 3x/week, any extra days are bonus. (trying for spin class 1x/week)

2. Start wearing my darn fitbit again. I had lost it, then found it, then lost it again and got used to NOT wearing it. I need to get it on to keep me moving and more easily accountable on the days I'm *not* in the gym. No gym does NOT equal lazy!

3. Get back to planning all my meals in advance. Shop and cook in batches.
  • nimietyisnotenough
    Options
    Hi all! This is my first time participating in a goals thread; nice to meet you all. I'm recently sleeved (and would be happy to have more friends who are working with this anatomical modification!).

I'm a lapsed competitive powerlifter looking to minimize muscle loss during this process so I won't have lost years' worth of work when I make it back into serious training. My surgeon wants me to hold off on loads above 100 lb. until the end of month 2. I was sleeved 7/28, so that's the end of September. But, it doesn't make sense for me to go back to my serious lifting gym when I can't eat to support strength gains. So, my goals for this month:

1. Check out the rec center across the street from my apartment to see if their facilities are now okay for lifting (i.e. have they gotten a squat rack since last I checked them out several years ago?). Formulate a Plan B if not.
    2. Get in at 6 weeks (when I can lift loads heavier than 20 lb. but lighter than 100 lb.) to do some movement-pattern and habit-building work.
    3. Stay at the upper end of my 60-80g protein range—or above it if I can manage.
    4. WATER. I'm finding that 64 oz. daily is not quite enough.
    5. Try a few new foods. I'm finding myself conservative/reluctant/skittish about advancing my diet and still subsisting mostly on protein shakes and mushy textures.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    Hi all! This is my first time participating in a goals thread; nice to meet you all. I'm recently sleeved (and would be happy to have more friends who are working with this anatomical modification!).

I'm a lapsed competitive powerlifter looking to minimize muscle loss during this process so I won't have lost years' worth of work when I make it back into serious training. My surgeon wants me to hold off on loads above 100 lb. until the end of month 2. I was sleeved 7/28, so that's the end of September. But, it doesn't make sense for me to go back to my serious lifting gym when I can't eat to support strength gains. So, my goals for this month:

1. Check out the rec center across the street from my apartment to see if their facilities are now okay for lifting (i.e. have they gotten a squat rack since last I checked them out several years ago?). Formulate a Plan B if not.
    2. Get in at 6 weeks (when I can lift loads heavier than 20 lb. but lighter than 100 lb.) to do some movement-pattern and habit-building work.
    3. Stay at the upper end of my 60-80g protein range—or above it if I can manage.
    4. WATER. I'm finding that 64 oz. daily is not quite enough.
    5. Try a few new foods. I'm finding myself conservative/reluctant/skittish about advancing my diet and still subsisting mostly on protein shakes and mushy textures.

I waited 3 months to get back into powerlifting and basically started at the beginning because I wasn't sure how well I would do with eating 1/4 of what I used to, plus having lost a bunch of weight. In the meantime, I used dumbbells in the 10-20lb range starting after about a month. It's been a little over 3 months since I've picked powerlifting back up, and the only thing I'm really struggling with is my squat. I've had to change my stance quite a bit since I don't have so much girth to work around.
  • nimietyisnotenough
    Options
    I waited 3 months to get back into powerlifting and basically started at the beginning because I wasn't sure how well I would do with eating 1/4 of what I used to, plus having lost a bunch of weight. In the meantime, I used dumbbells in the 10-20lb range starting after about a month. It's been a little over 3 months since I've picked powerlifting back up, and the only thing I'm really struggling with is my squat. I've had to change my stance quite a bit since I don't have so much girth to work around.

Oh, amazing to talk to another powerlifter! Did/do you squat high- or low-bar? I'd been out of the gym too long before surgery (hence the surgery, in part—I had to let go of serious training for schedule reasons, but didn't let go of eating like I was in serious training). Can I ask what percentage 10-20 lb. dumbbells represented of your previous normal work weights? And were you using them in simulation of competition lifts, or for more assistance-y work?
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1. Hit the gym at least 4 days a week. Elliptical/treadmill 2-3 days a week; swimming laps in between those days. Strength training 2 days a week.

2. More water! Invest in a jug with a sipper top or straw that has liquid measurements on it.

3. Prepare more meals at home/better meal planning.

4. More salads with protein.

• chubby_checkers
    Options

Oh, amazing to talk to another powerlifter! Did/do you squat high- or low-bar? I'd been out of the gym too long before surgery (hence the surgery, in part—I had to let go of serious training for schedule reasons, but didn't let go of eating like I was in serious training). Can I ask what percentage 10-20 lb. dumbbells represented of your previous normal work weights? And were you using them in simulation of competition lifts, or for more assistance-y work?

I squat low-bar. High-bar is too uncomfortable once the weight starts getting heavy. 10-20lbs was probably 5-10% of what I was doing pre-surgery. I did more assistancy-type work like good mornings, glute bridges, goblet squats, things like that. After about 2 weeks post-surgery, I started feeling incredibly flabby, so I was itching to get back to it.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    1. Lots of business trips this month so base running goal is 30 miles a week. Stretch goal is to manage a 60 mile week.
    2. Get to 145 pounds. My low weight so far has been 146.2 but I have been bouncing all over the place.
    3. Kettlebells or yoga at least twice a week.
  • nimietyisnotenough
    nimietyisnotenough Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I squat low-bar. High-bar is too uncomfortable once the weight starts getting heavy. 10-20lbs was probably 5-10% of what I was doing pre-surgery. I did more assistancy-type work like good mornings, glute bridges, goblet squats, things like that. After about 2 weeks post-surgery, I started feeling incredibly flabby, so I was itching to get back to it.

Low-bar squatter here too, and that's the thing I feel like might require the most tinkering, because of grip width and arm bulk and blah blah I won't really know 'til I get under the bar. I like the idea of doing some assistance stuff with dumbbells, maybe getting some kettlebells going (maybe I'll see if I can still remember how to do a Turkish get-up?). Thanks awfully for sharing your experiences. I've found that the overlap between powerlifters and WLS patients who also lifted pre-surgery is...small, so, forgive me for bombarding you with questions. Did you happen to speak with a coach or athletic nutritionist-type about accommodating post-WLS needs? I'm feeling weirdly shy about reaching out to my coaches, maybe just because it's been awhile since I was their trainee in a serious, committed way.

I also feel that itch. It's odd, because I'd been out of training for months even by the time I started the surgical process, but now I'm itching and itching for a barbell. Gimme.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options

Low-bar squatter here too, and that's the thing I feel like might require the most tinkering, because of grip width and arm bulk and blah blah I won't really know 'til I get under the bar. I like the idea of doing some assistance stuff with dumbbells, maybe getting some kettlebells going (maybe I'll see if I can still remember how to do a Turkish get-up?). Thanks awfully for sharing your experiences. I've found that the overlap between powerlifters and WLS patients who also lifted pre-surgery is...small, so, forgive me for bombarding you with questions. Did you happen to speak with a coach or athletic nutritionist-type about accommodating post-WLS needs? I'm feeling weirdly shy about reaching out to my coaches, maybe just because it's been awhile since I was their trainee in a serious, committed way.

I also feel that itch. It's odd, because I'd been out of training for months even by the time I started the surgical process, but now I'm itching and itching for a barbell. Gimme.

PM'ed you so as not to clutter up the thread too much. :D
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    @nimietyisnotenough and @chubby_checkers

You guys may want to check out barifit.com Tosha Knopp and crew may have more info, or may be able to steer you in the right direction!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »

You guys may want to check out barifit.com Tosha Knopp and crew may have more info, or may be able to steer you in the right direction!

Thanks for that! I've been looking for some resources since I've started running more. My insurance has health coaching available but they can't seem to find anyone that has experience with "bari-athletes".
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey there! New to this group, had gastric bypass April 18, 2016. My September goals:

1. Get in more protein and fewer carbs (this was easier for me pre-op for some reason)
    2. Get back to my kettle bell class - injured myself almost 2 years ago and have not been since. Been doing rehab with my trainer. Feel ready to go back..awesome workout
    3. Start working out on Sunday mornings even if it is in my community gym vs my gym that I pay for

Jen
  • NicoleL874
    Options

Thanks for that! I've been looking for some resources since I've started running more. My insurance has health coaching available but they can't seem to find anyone that has experience with "bari-athletes".

@amandacanales I signed up for the initial assessment with them and saw a HUGE drop in weight. It's time for my macros to be tweaked again. I'm going to contact for a revision soon, but have some traveling I have to get through first. They really do seem to know what they are doing!

@jcavanna2 HI!!! Great to "see" you here!
  • chubby_checkers
    Options

This is great! Thank you!
  • nimietyisnotenough
    Options

Yeah, this looks like the best resource I've yet seen for this specific situation. Thanks very much!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    So @amandacanales has inspired me a bit!
    Today, I'm going to start the half-marathon training plan from Darebee
    It's a 12 week course, which would have me running my marathon on Thanksgiving. Though with my current ability, I could shorten this to 10 weeks, I'm just going to give the full plan a go. There's no harm in 2 weeks of light days. My workout days will be routines pulled from that site as well. If everything goes well, and I don't break anything, I'll roll this over into the full marathon training.

I've never wanted to be a runner, and have always hated running (boring). The more I do it, the more I impress myself, the more I feel better about it.