Day 1

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
My orthopedic surgeon recommended I try LCHF to lose weight pre hip replacement (I'm 42 years old). So today was my day to start, its 5:30 here and I'm not a happy person! I thought this was going to be tough, but didn't really get how tough the first few days would be. I'm sticking with it though. I just put some broth in the microwave which I hope will help. I'm still going to the gym tonight, although I don't feel like I have any energy to work out...but I'm so cranky I need to be away from my kids lol

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Welcome. It shouldn't be miserable, can you give more details on your plan so we might be able to help guide you to feeling better.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of information on the launch pad to help, especially with the first few days, lots of helpful people too. (My hubby had a hip replacement when he was 35, it wasn't as nearly as bad as he anticipated.) Good luck!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You've got this. Cheers to your doc for suggesting something that does indeed work. Ditto on the Launch Pad info. It's a life saver!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yeah, seems you're having a particularly difficult start.
    How much if it might have to do with simply not wanting to eat differently?
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, it seems your fat was a bit on the low side, and your protein was maybe a bit high. Have you set your goal macros?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Broth is a good idea. Some need a few cups a day to get that 3000-5000mg of sodium needed. I resort to adding a teaspoon of salt to my water. LOL

The energy dip should go soon, especially if you keep your electrolytes up. Hang in there. The first few days of a big change are tough.

And welcome. :)
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, it seems your fat was a bit on the low side, and your protein was maybe a bit high. Have you set your goal macros?

I wasn't completely sure how to figure out what percentage to set my macros at. I'm following Atkins, in the induction phase right now. I actually felt a bit better last night after my workout. The cup of broth helped with my headache for sure. I got cranky around the late afternoon, that time when I usually have my cup of coffee and treat :wink:
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    merflan wrote: »
    I got cranky around the late afternoon, that time when I usually have my cup of coffee and treat :wink:

Coffee with heavy whipping cream is an excellent treat :smile:

You're in what my sister and I call the "hungry phase", where you're going thru carb withdrawal (cravings galore!). In the first two weeks or so, I recommend not looking at calories at all, and when you get hungry, eat something fatty & salty. That cranky hungry phase will pass if you stick with it.

Here's a good calculator to help you figure out macros (and you can set carbs = 20 like Atkins induction).

http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

Don't be afraid of fat - fat is your friend! :smiley:

• trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The launch pad really helped me when I got started. (11 days for me). Have found that fat totally curbs the sugar cravings, and electrolyte balance keeps my energy level up. Welcome! The first few days are the worst, but you will get past them. And once you do you will feel amazing! Can't wait to read your posts about how good you feel. Going to send you a friend request. And here is my recipe for homemade bullet proof coffee:
    14oz coffee
    Sweetener of your choice (if you use)
    1Tbsb butter (salted or unsalted your choice)
    1Tbsp coconut oil
    1Tbsb heavy cream
    In a small bowl melt butter and coconut oil in microwave for 30 seconds, add to your coffe, mix well. I don't have a fancy blender, so I just use a spoon. Tastes great and really makes the tummy gurgle with happiness.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @merflan - do you make your own broth? Store bought broth may not have enough fat. I like to start Atkins with hamburger and scrambled eggs for breakfast, tuna with lots of mayo for lunch, and a dinner of fish fried in olive oil. My snacks were an ounce of cheese, or a tablespoon of peanut butter, or an ounce of mixed nuts. It may take a day or two to get adjusted.