Pre-op emotions...Extremely nervous...

Options
Daisyboohoo
Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
So, I was sitting watching Fat Doctor on television... And all of a sudden I became extremely nervous ...
My operation this week Thursday...I am really scared...

Just wondering which emotions others went through you prior to their operation?

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I was a little nervous the week before the surgery. But I was a lot more nervous leading up to the decision. Once I had made up my mind, it was a lot easier.

There's a lot to be nervous about, but I think you'll find, like everyone else here, that it's the best choice you ever made.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm alone in this boat, but I was thrilled! I was ready. So ready. I knew the chances of something going wrong during those few, very controlled hours on the table were so much lower than the risks of dying from my health problems! I'm so excited for you! I remember it like it was yesterday - you will not regret this decision!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm alone in this boat, but I was thrilled! I was ready. So ready. I knew the chances of something going wrong during those few, very controlled hours on the table were so much lower than the risks of dying from my health problems! I'm so excited for you! I remember it like it was yesterday - you will not regret this decision!

^^^This!^^^ I was so thrilled also! I hated waited so long, went through so many denials before approval. I think my only apprehension was that I would get to the hospital (135 mile away) and they'd tell me it was denied again. The surgery didn't scare me, I knew what to expect anesthesia wise--I am very slow to wake up and my surgeon and I discussed this with the anesthesiologist. I had some friends I hadn't seen in about 25 yrs meet me at the hospital and my three sons were with me. My surgeon is amazing--he allowed all of them to come in the pre op room with me (and there were 7 people.) He searched them out after my surgery (in the cafeteria, no less) to let them know that everything had gone well and they could go up to see me. My surgeon is also MAJOR "eye candy" and his personality is just as fantastic. I have been blessed and honestly had no fears, no problems after--thank God, because the year leading up to the approval was such a roller coaster ride. It's a wonder during that year that my sons didn't shoot me--or at least have me committed! Relax. You are making a great decision and your life is about to change for the better!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I was completely calm, relaxed and chill during the entire pre-surgery process UNTIL I went for my appointment to review and sign surgery documents. I bawled HYSTERICALLY the whole drive there, thinking mostly of how horrible it would be for me to die during surgery and leave my son without his mom.

I composed myself and the awesome thing is, when my surgeon came in the room, any and all anxiety that I had completely disappeared. He was/is a blessing. He knows his stuff and does his best, doesn't sugar coat it, but makes it very clear that his #1 importance is doing his job well and making sure his team does the same.

My hope for you is that you not only get through this surgery without incident (which in all likelyhood will be the case!!!) and that your surgeon's capabilities comfort you as well. It will be over before you know it and your new life will be waiting for you when you wake up!!! :happy:
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I broke my shoulder by bumping into a concrete wall in church 3 days before surgery date. I denied I was injured for 24 hours, and finally went to a doctor, found out about the break. Orto doc called bariatric surgeon while I was in office. I was crying cause I knew surgery would be postponed, and I was so ready. Bari surgeon said he would work me into his schedule the next day after orthodox doc cleared me. I did physical therapy, every day, a much as I could, and in 4 weeks I was ready and it happened. I figured, if I could rehab shoulder in 4 weeks, ( usually takes 6-8). I was ready, no nerves, just ready to get losing. :smile:

My advice, follow the pre op diet to perfection, exercise, WALK, WALK, WALK,
    practice chewing ( jaw strength). And get lots of sleep, and stop watching crap TV AND DO NOT WATCH BARIATRIC CRAP ON U TUBE, You will be ready
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The night before my sleeve I was ready to call the whole thing off! I felt so nervous and my son was crying and begging me to cancel. On the surgery day, I felt great! Very calm and at peace with my decision. Your feeling are completely normal. It is a big change. All will go well :)
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was a bit jittery, but a few day before my surgery I met a woman in a grocery store. We were both in the vitamin section, searching. I asked her if she needed any help and she started talking. Long story short - her granddaughter needed emergency, life-saving surgery. The surgeon who saved her?? The same one doing my RNY. Peace and calm!!

All will be well. Prayers your way.
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My surgery is tomorrow morning and today I am a bit jittery but I am ready. No qualms. I think it is mostly being anxious. I just want the surgery to be over and done with so I can get on with the rest of my life. So want to go on a shopping spree.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Once I made the decision I was pretty calm, until I was at the hospital and in my gown waiting. There were some scheduling issues in OR, then my surgeon had an emergency. I was scheduled for 8am, but now it was looking like I would not have surgery til 1 or 2. I was taking this a sign that maybe I shouldn't have the surgery and started freaking out and was having panic attacks. My surgeon's PA and the anastegioloigist (SP?) talked with me very calmly and even offered to give me something to help me relax (which I turned down). But all turned out well and I had my surgery at noon. So happy I did not bale!!!
    Anxiety and fear are normal before any surgery. Even though we are very well prepared, there is still an element of unknown.Try and find some activities to keep your mind occupied - and breathe. It will be worth it.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My surgery is tomorrow morning and today I am a bit jittery but I am ready. No qualms. I think it is mostly being anxious. I just want the surgery to be over and done with so I can get on with the rest of my life. So want to go on a shopping spree.

Good luck! All of the best! Three more sleeps for me... I am feeling a bit better today, although I must admit I am still scared. I don't like anesthetics - that is probably my biggest fear... :frown:
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    They called to confirm my surgery for tomorrow and I find out it is delayed 2 hours. 1245 instead of 1030. That is frustrating,.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Keep us posted.
  • trueboo
    trueboo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very excited for you! Congratulations and best wishes! You'll do great! Jitters are normal with a situation like this, but you are taking your health into your own hands. It's alll good! :)
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was SOOOO extremely excited for it! Every day that went by just dragged for me because I was so excited to go in for surgery. I didn't get nervous until I checked in at the hospital to get ready. But that was pretty mild too. It'll be done and over with before you know it. Good luck to you!!!!!
  • katbirdinpa
    katbirdinpa Posts: 105
    Options
    I was so scared to. Read my post and let me know if you have any questions.