The More Carbs I Eat => The More Depressed I Feel

Options
Abm4n
Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
edited August 2016 in Social Groups
Has anyone else noticed that when they eat more carbs they feel depressed? I have been eating a fairly strict LCHF diet for several months and have been feeling so good for so long I forgot what it used to feel like. I have recently gone back to eating waaay too many carbs as a result of several birthday parties and social events. As a result I have put on 2 kg and now I am noticing that I am starting to feel melancholy. Small things seem to affect me in ways that they never used to. I am putting this down to losing my low carb mojo. Anyone else noticed this?

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything scientific to add, I'm no rocket surgeon....BUT this ain't my first go around with keto. I remember my previous attempts, and I do clearly remember, as I looked up dazed, from the cake, after the sugar buzz went, I was fairly melancholy myself....I know if I went the way of the sad'ers at this point of this particular journey, I'd be supermelancholygirl. Although...I'd jump right back on the wagon immediately.

Did I help?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think there is a multifaceted situation here - First I do think carbs can make our affect as sluggish as they make everything else and for me personally when I feel like I am failing at something that also has an effect on my affect. If you are feeling like your gain and slip with the carbs is a huge let down to yourself then you may very well be feeling that in other ways - the little things. I have had horrible depression with near suicide over the years starting with post partum when Anna was born 16 years ago but my weight sure as hell had something to do with it over the years. I feel good because I'm being good to my body and my body is happy. I feel good because I'm dropping weight and because my body functions better these days - as does my mind. I don't think I'll ever feel a deep depression again because my life is so wonderful these past few year compared to my 20s regardless of my weight but I know I'd be melancholy were I to undo all my hard work. So, yes, I do understand exactly what you mean.
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    @Abm4n, yes for me too. Like @SuperCarLori I am no scientist, and this is just my best guess here, once our brains make the switch to using ketones as energy, the pleasure center of our brains adapt as well. It starts anticipating the ketones. Then when we send it glucose, it doesn't know what to do with it, so it releases melatonin. An increase in melatonin is what causes those down in the dumps, melancholy feelings. Also we are our own worst enemies. We beat ourselves up when we mess up and do things/eat things we know are not good for us. Those "now why did I do that" questions on top of a melatonin release can cause us to want to curl up in the bed, pull the covers over our heads and say "nope, not today." Or worst case scenario we order a large pizza, eat the whole thing then pull the covers up over our heads. This is just a bump in the road. Make yourself a homemade bullet proof coffee, recenter yourself and start today doing what makes your brain and body feel good. You got this! And as my granny used to always tell me: "If you don't like the direction you are going, turn around and go the other way." Hope this helps.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If I have carbs too early in the day then I get grumpy and moody. I try not to have anything really carby until after my workout in the evening. The quality of the carbs definitely has a big roll in how I feel after eating them too.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I thinks so. I have struggled with moods (pcos) I had a slice of pizza and the next day I was sooooo moody and grumpy and it was hard to be around myself lol. Exercise seems to help for me. If I have a slip up the next day I am so moody till I exercise then I feel better.....I don't feel that way if I don't eat the wheat......I never want to go back to the daily mood swings!!!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It can only make things worse for us that the carbs we overeat are rarely, say, watermelon or baked potatoes. Hardly anyone binges on rice cakes. It's those banana splits, holiday desserts and Moon Pies that do us dirty.

Don't know what a "Moon Pie" is? Lucky you. People here in the Land of Mardi Gras adore them and even in my darkest days I could never understand why. I rode on a Mardi Gras float a couple of years ago; witnessing what seemingly normal people are willing to do when one of those goo-bombs is thrown into the crowd is enough to shake your faith in humanity.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It can only make things worse for us that the carbs we overeat are rarely, say, watermelon or baked potatoes. Hardly anyone binges on rice cakes. It's those banana splits, holiday desserts and Moon Pies that do us dirty.

Don't know what a "Moon Pie" is? Lucky you. People here in the Land of Mardi Gras adore them and even in my darkest days I could never understand why. I rode on a Mardi Gras float a couple of years ago; witnessing what seemingly normal people are willing to do when one of those goo-bombs is thrown into the crowd is enough to shake your faith in humanity.

LOL, I have enjoyed moon-pies since I was a kid, but havent had one in a while now.

I don't know if I experienced depression when I eat high carbs, but it does leave me feeling very "blah", unmotivated, headache, etc. Basically it makes me want to lay around and do nothing.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that when they eat more carbs they feel depressed? I have been eating a fairly strict LCHF diet for several months and have been feeling so good for so long I forgot what it used to feel like. I have recently gone back to eating waaay too many carbs as a result of several birthday parties and social events. As a result I have put on 2 kg and now I am noticing that I am starting to feel melancholy. Small things seem to affect me in ways that they never used to. I am putting this down to losing my low carb mojo. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes. For ME carbs aren't created equal. I don't restrict any vegs. I love vegs and my body loves vegs too. The trouble starts when I eat too much GRAINS and SUGAR...too often. It's a question of volume and frequency. Once in a while is OK, but if I pile on the pasta for dinner every day my mind gets frazzled and fragile, like it gets overly sensitive. And this may sound cuckoo: But I also get more suspicious. Like my brain has fallen into the Hobbesian side of life. Have you seen "Stranger things" on Netflix? What an excellent portrait of depression/nightmare.

I can have rice without the same detrimental effect on mental state.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think i am allergic to the "white carbs" because of the puffiness and lethargy. Some of those symptoms are the same as depression. But, also, it's kind of a chicken-egg question. Do I feel bad because I ate carbs/sweets or do I reach for "comfort food" because I feel bad?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @kmn118. Maybe for you. I don't have any guilt about eating carbs. I'm at the higher end of lowcarb anyway. I only take notice of effects of patterns. So I'd like to imagine my observings as "neutral".
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Finally got my eating back on track today after several days. My mind feels sharper and I have been focused at work. @Foamroller it was interesting to read your comments. I really think that we are emotionally affected in so many ways that we don't even realise (by what we eat).
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @Abm4n so happy to hear you feel back on track!

@mandycat223 mmmmm....microwaved or frozen moon pies....I don't like marshmallow as a rule but used to love those as a kid. When I got older my marshmallow fix was in the form of Nabisco Pinwheels...I can eat a whole pack of those in a minute. But I otherwise can't stand marshmallow...weird, eh?
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed this?

Most definitely. In my case, when I'm in that state, it can become self-perpetuating: I then seek carbs, which prolong the problem. To break the cycle, I take in a bit of fat, some water & then go do something to keep me busy.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    IMO, the depression is from the constant surge and drop of dopamine and serotonin you get from eating carbs. This is also what makes for the addictive effect it has on the brain. You eat carbs, dopamine and serotonin are released, you have that sugar high and it feels great. Then the drop in sugar hits, the dopamine and serotonin drop and you get that low, depressed feeling and want to feel good again. More carbs...repeat the cycle. Worst feeling in the world.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    IMO, the depression is from the constant surge and drop of dopamine and serotonin you get from eating carbs. This is also what makes for the addictive effect it has on the brain. You eat carbs, dopamine and serotonin are released, you have that sugar high and it feels great. Then the drop in sugar hits, the dopamine and serotonin drop and you get that low, depressed feeling and want to feel good again. More carbs...repeat the cycle. Worst feeling in the world.

I was straight keto for the first 6 months of this year. I started LCHF on Jan 1. I planned on a celebration binge after breaking the 200# mark (which was 36+ pounds lost), which coincided with me running my second 5K race.

I ran the race, took my 3rd place medal and went directly to a diner where I ate waffles, biscuits and jelly and some biscuit and gravy. I planned on 2 days, but it turned into three. I ate everything I had denied myself for 6 months. After 3 days I couldn't wait to go back to LCHF. I felt like garbage from all the carbs! That constant up/down swing takes it's toll! It took a few day to get back on track.

It was actually worth it, because I learned how I felt on carbs directly compared to fat/protien. I have let myself have a few high-carb days since then, but nothing so major as that first. Small occasional treats are much better than a weekend bender!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed that. I did note that when I lowered carbs too much my menopausal symptoms seemed to get worse. I had to find a happy medium.
    I also know that the *type* of carb matters for me now.
    And the type of caffeine, and alcohol. Sheesh!