LCHF and your arteries?

Options
kristamas
kristamas Posts: 30 Member
I've just been doing this WOE for about a week and I'm loving it so far, and there seems to be a lot of research on its ability to help obese people lose weight. But does anybody know the effect a high fat diet has on your arteries? Looking for any info, thanks!

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell it's not fat that clogs up your arteries, it's sugar and carbs. Check out the book "Eat Fat Get Thin" by Mark Hyman...very interesting research he is quoting in the book.
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For a cliff notes version of how carbs/sugars are the culprits of artery clogging you can watch the movie Fat Head.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sugar is damaging to blood vessels! Imagine throwing a handful of glass shards against a thin bedsheet (can't think of a better illustration right now), over and over with every beat of your heart. Creates a damaged area that other blood cells can "stick" to, which can create blockages. Read the books recommended above! Very eye opening! And no, it's not fat that creates heart disease! The "experts" have gotten this wrong, and have created obesity, and diabetes epidemics from trying to treat it! Another good book to read is "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter, MD. Is written in layman's terms so is easy to understand. He shows the correlation between the low fat revolution, and diabetes/obesity which has now being shown to be the cause of dementia and Alzheimer's (so sad!)! Good luck! This information goes against what the "experts" have brainwashed us with for years, but they've gotten it terribly (detrimental to our health) wrong!

I feel they know that they have gotten it wrong (some of them have to!), but don't know how to change it for fear of the lawsuits that will follow! So I don't think anyone is ever going to step up and say they got it wrong, but the verbiage will gradually change in their recommendations (as it is now with the recommendations for "healthy fats" and decreasing carbs).
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Sugar is damaging to blood vessels! Imagine throwing a handful of glass shards against a thin bedsheet (can't think of a better illustration right now), over and over with every beat of your heart. Creates a damaged area that other blood cells can "stick" to, which can create blockages.

Great info!
    Thank you for this visual, Karla...I plan on thinking of it every time I say..."just a little won't hurt me!"
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kristamas wrote: »
    I've just been doing this WOE for about a week and I'm loving it so far, and there seems to be a lot of research on its ability to help obese people lose weight. But does anybody know the effect a high fat diet has on your arteries? Looking for any info, thanks!

Welcome!

If you haven't yet stumbled across the sticky item, LCD Launch Pad, I'd suggest you set aside a few hours and look through this great resource.

Among other gems of information, there are lists of books and videos. Personally, I think the books by Phinney and Volek (and sometimes Westman) can't be beat for completeness and credibility. They are academics and athletically inclined, and they've been at LCHF for a long time.
    • Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is a great 30-course soup to nuts feast on LCHF topics;
    • New Atkins for a New You is similar - it's a major, modern makeover of the Atkins diet and written in simpler terms for a broader audience; and there's also
    • Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It tends to improve your health across the board. Even when it comes to heart health.
    I just listened to a fantastic podcast today. I'll bring a link back for you.
    http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/14793/1138-dave-feldman-attempting-to-crack-the-cholesterol-code-with-n1-experiments/
  • PBAUSA
    PBAUSA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A good book that I am reading is called 'Life Without Bread' by Allan and Lutz (a PhD and MD). It contains their recommendation of eating no more than 72 utilizable carbs a day (carbs-fiber) for optimal health. It also contains a fair amount of scientific research and practical experience treating patients with this WOE.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    From my understanding the fat makes your arteries a blood flow slip n slide all just flows right through!

(totally joking there is no scientific research backing this up ;) )

On a serious note though, my boss did a no fat vegan diet for over a year. He stopped that diet after he had a stroke. Thankfully he was with someone at the time it happened so treatment was there in minutes. They determined he had scar tissue in his vertebral artery that led to the stroke. The scarring was from aggressive neck adjustments for neck issues. His Dr believes that because of the no fat diet his arteries were much more brittle than they should be leading to the scar tissue build up. It's been a few years now and he eats whatever he wants, he was telling me last month his cholesterol is just as good as it was when he ate the no fat vegan diet.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAWdHYSrh7M
    Peter Attia has a good explanation of cholesterol.

Another Attia video that goes into depth on how the science has actually been quite clear about the relationship between dietary fat and heart disease risk (ie - the scientific community has been pretty clear that there is no link).
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that all bets are off if your fat sources are not natural fats from real food.
    Manufactured oils are highly inflammatory and its inflammation that would be more concerning regarding vascular health.