What to eat after illness? (Saltine alternatives)

Options
CeliaSea
CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
So, last night I went out with friends to a local music venue and ordered a burger with an over-easy egg, no bun. It was served over a bed of spinach. It was wonderful. And, a few hours later, I ended up violently ill. Blissfully, the bout was short-lived and I felt a whole lot better when I woke up this morning. My question is this: What can I eat? Normally, I'd turn to saltines. I had a little broth but now I'm quite hungry and that's not cutting it. The thought of cheese or meat or even eggs is completely unappealing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    yogurt?
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know it's still cheese but maybe changing the texture would do the trick - Parmesan Crisps http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/parmesan-crisps-recipe.html
  • CeliaSea
    CeliaSea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I would love a little yogurt. I don't usually keep any in the house, but I can run up the street and get a small container of Greek yogurt. Thank you, @tcunbeliever.
  • VictoriaEllis1984
    VictoriaEllis1984 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think if you have a dicky belly you should avoid dairy products. You could try some scrambled egg with cauliflower mash (minus the parmasan - unless you can stomach it). You also need to get some nutrients in you, so perhaps a smoothie with some mixed berries (1 cup), unsweetened almond milk (250ml), handful of nuts (almonds work well 25g) and sweeten to taste. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Take a shot of ACV with mother and see if that gets your appetite back. Maybe settling the stomach will help. If you don't have that I always just drank an ounce or so of pickle juice before I had any ACV around.

You could just sip fatty coffee or tea today as another option.

Also, when I don't feel well for any reason I immediately take an extra dose of vitamin c. I always take a maintenance dose of 10,000mg but add another 5,000 if I might feel a need. For someone not taking it regularly, the 5000 should be divided into 2 or 3 doses over several hours