Is anyone out there?

2»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    The hiking I've done in California has been in Yosemite and in the Redwoods. It was further north from where the really big redwoods are located... smaller redwoods at one of the state parks that is a part of the "Redwoods National and State Parks" system. I'm trying to remember the park name... Prairie Ridge? Wherever it was, I had selected that because it was a pretty easy day trip to pass through several varying ecosystems (some of the best hikes include ecological variety) from forest to a lot of ferns and eventually hitting the ocean before turning around.

Yosemite was just a day hike to Chilnualna Falls. It was raining / thunderstorms off and on, and when I got a bit past the falls, it was just rocky area (appeared to be above tree line) and I turned back because it was about as far as I wanted to go that day and being there on the rocks with lightning just confirmed it was time to turn back. As I kept going down in elevation, some of the smaller waterfalls and drainage areas crossing the trail were definitely flowing more heavily than on the way up - thus confirming my decision to turn back at that time.
  • kamamakai
    kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2017
    @kasaz @midwesterner85 The areas of California that you mention are truly beautiful to hike. Where I live, while lovely in its own way, there is not really any "destination points" per se to hike ... no waterfalls, beautiful rivers, trails covered by towering trees. I moved here by way of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, so it was a big change for me. When my son was young, we used to Geocache so as to find fun destination spots. Now that he's grown, I find myself just hiking for the love of the sport and appreciate the scenery that IS around me. ;)