anyone powerlifting?

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
I had to drop my deadlift weight by 25 pounds to 175 tonight. I know it would be individual, but anyone know how long it will take to get my strength back to normal? My workout felt like it went on forever tonight!!

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 can probably help you out. Hang in there!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? It took me 2 - 3 weeks to adapt. But it is different for everyone.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    <--- powerlifter. Not on a low carb diet though so perhaps that makes me useless =)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the mention Myrii.

Honestly, if you're committed fully to LCHF, I may not be the best person to ask. I've recently transitioned into a very specific CKD, because I was getting tired of being gassed out on deadlifts and squats after three sets. I was fat adapted for months before I started lifting again, so it wasn't a problem of being new to the diet either.

My lifts aren't exactly impressive yet either, as I just got back into it a little under a month ago, after a three year hiatus. Though, it's proving difficult for me to accept that my lifts will be lower at a bodyweight of 157, versus the nearly 200 I was at years back.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ketogains.com? They may have some more information.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 Are you bulking at the moment? By doing CKD, do you notice any weight gain or improvements in strength? Cravings?
  • merflan
    Options
    Thanks for the mention Myrii.

Honestly, if you're committed fully to LCHF, I may not be the best person to ask. I've recently transitioned into a very specific CKD, because I was getting tired of being gassed out on deadlifts and squats after three sets. I was fat adapted for months before I started lifting again, so it wasn't a problem of being new to the diet either

My lifts aren't exactly impressive yet either, as I just got back into it a little under a month ago, after a three year hiatus. Though, it's proving difficult for me to accept that my lifts will be lower at a bodyweight of 157, versus the nearly 200 I was at years back.

• merflan
    Options
    Thanks. I'm just getting started at this low carb thing. But its a real struggle for me. I'd finally gotten away from that "I need to be skinny" mindset and loved making new PRs every week on my lifts. Now I'm back there, needing to lose weight. I was thinking last night of having more carbs on my lifting days, lower on non lifting days, after this initial 2 week
  • merflan
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 Are you bulking at the moment? By doing CKD, do you notice any weight gain or improvements in strength? Cravings?

What is CKD?[b][/b]

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    merflan wrote: »

What is CKD?[b][/b]

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet.

Not to speak for @Gallowmere1984 but what's likely happening is that he's adding in high carb refeeds for performance reasons.

• merflan
    Options
    Thanks. Just read about it on bodybuilding.com. That's exactly what my trainer was telling me last night, he just didn't call it CKD.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    merflan wrote: »

What is CKD?[b][/b]

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet.

Not to speak for @Gallowmere1984 but what's likely happening is that he's adding in high carb refeeds for performance reasons.

This is exactly what I am doing. I run keto (and a caloric deficit) during most of the week, then on Friday I do a day long carb refeed of roughly 50g per meal, them a massive 400g free-for-all for three hours on Friday night. Then Saturday a protein sparing modified fast (nothing but shakes), then a higher calorie keto day on Sunday, then back into the normal keto and deficit until the following Friday.

My macros are also very different than most here, as I tend to run sub-20g carbs, then about 50-55% protein, and the rest as fat. From a theoretical/scientific standpoint, the extra protein is wasted; from an anecdotal/personal experience standpoint, I don't give a *kitten*. I've noticed markedly better performance with a higher protein intake, and I can still maintain keto just fine, in spite of the oft touted gluconeogenesis boogeyman. This may be due to my supps, training regimen, and bodyfat levels though, so ymmv.
  • merflan
    Options
    I was able to up my weights on everything last night so that was encouraging. Hopefully next week I'll be back at my 200 lb deadlift.