40-50 carbs anyone?

Options
moss11
moss11 Posts: 236 Member
Hi all
Have decided to increase carbs. After almost two months of averaging 20 carbs, I just don't have the energy levels I used to. Macros are 65%fat, 25% protein and 10% carbs. I have got the fat about right but been keeping the carbs lower, they should be 46!
Just wondering if anyone else has similar macros and how they are doing? I am concerned that increasing them will trigger cravings but I really need to try it, increases will be mainly vegetables with a small piece of fruit. Hopefully I will have some macro twins :-)?

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Are you just low carbing or attemping a Ketogenic diet?
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my carbs a little higher, actually, right around 70 per day is my goal.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I was following Keto and recently increased carbs to 40ish per the request of my doctor. I havent fully reached the 40 mark yet as i am still use to keeping them super low but have added fruit and more veggies and will be attempting the 40 mark starting this week (was away at funeral so got behind on the increase) I havent noticed any increase in cravings but I was never really a sweet tooth kinda gal... suggest maybe increasing 10-15 g at a time and see how that works for you.. best wishes you can do it!!
  • moss11
    Options
    Thank you. Eating wise I didn't find around 20carbs too difficult, it has changed my life craving/ binging wise! Not particularly going for ketogenic just low enough carb to lose weight and keep appetite under control. On MFP last year I just counted calories but ate a lot that didn't suit my metabolism! This time I have tried to make the fat macro fairly accurate followed by the calories. Now because of the decrease in energy I am trying to keep them all about where I have them set just concerned I guess that increasing carbs will resurrect destructive old patterns! Good to know that some of you are managing at a slightly higher level of carb!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I keep it around that number and haven't had any cravings in awhile.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    I live / lived on 40-50 for months on end. I found that after some time I started to feel down / sluggish. My personal opinion is that this is down to the body adapting and expecting a restricted intake and so adapts its energy expenditure. For me having a day of 150-200g of good quality carbs once in a while did me the world of good. It makes sense really... it just simulates nature. Your body then knows that carbs are available and is happy to metabolise fat for energy once again.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-should-i-increase-carb-intake-for-weight-loss/#axzz2Z79bvQTv
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I keep mine between 45-50g and feeling fine. I notice when I don't drink enough water, I feel alittle sluggish so trying to keep myself hydrated. Good luck.
  • featherheather81
    featherheather81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 40-50 net carbs daily and am doing well so far.
  • moss11
    Options
    Thank you all. That's another day with macros almost spot on so will see how it pans out! Thanks for link wigglingalltheway! Very interesting, leptin may be low as I really seem to have lost my bounce, whilst eating a good natural diet. I am not mentally ready yet to up the carbs a lot one day due to my past history. However there are always occasions now and then when my present food choices are limited so I could refeed that day! :-)
  • 86toronado
    86toronado Posts: 19
    Options
    When I am at 40-50g of net carbs, I am in ketosis. This is according to my urine test strips. I also tend to not feel hungry, and after the first day or two, I don't have any cravings or "keto-flu" symptoms to speak of.
    (On a side note: I do have dreams about eating large quantities of breads and sweets during these first two days. It's how I know to check my urine. 9 times out of 10, bread dreams = ketosis)
    I am experimenting with the higher carb day once every week or two, to see if it improves my losses. The jury is still out on that one.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    When I am at 40-50g of net carbs, I am in ketosis. This is according to my urine test strips. I also tend to not feel hungry, and after the first day or two, I don't have any cravings or "keto-flu" symptoms to speak of.
    (On a side note: I do have dreams about eating large quantities of breads and sweets during these first two days. It's how I know to check my urine. 9 times out of 10, bread dreams = ketosis)
    I am experimenting with the higher carb day once every week or two, to see if it improves my losses. The jury is still out on that one.

That's hilarious. I have cake dreams when I'm in ketosis!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 113g and I regularly get 30g fibre. I found it too restrictive on 40 and this is a happy medium. I know MDA says this is maintenance levels but my boodwork is great and I'm dropping weight like crazy at 1800 calories/day. I think it's important to experiment with our bodies so we can get to know them better. You'd be surprised at how well it will treat you if you listen to it :p
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 113g and I regularly get 30g fibre. I found it too restrictive on 40 and this is a happy medium. I know MDA says this is maintenance levels but my boodwork is great and I'm dropping weight like crazy at 1800 calories/day. I think it's important to experiment with our bodies so we can get to know them better. You'd be surprised at how well it will treat you if you listen to it :p

what is MDA?

I'm still up in the air as to how many carbs I'll eat daily. Primal says <50 is ketogenic, 50-100 carbs daily is the sweet spot so I might shoot for this sweet spot but I've been mainly focusing on finding ways to eat more fat. In focusing on fat, I've naturally lowered the amount of carbs I eat in the range of 30-60 g. This WOE is new to me so there's a lot I have to learn about in the kitchen.

On a side note, does anyone experience feeling better after eating "some" carb? I notice that if I go the entire day eating very little carb at the end of the day (around dinner) I feel the need to eat something with carbs (I get depressed or moody). I usually have something that is about 14 g of carbs and then I feel better. Still for the grand total I am always less than 60 carbs a day (usually between 30-55). It seems I don't feel good unless I'm within a certain range of carbs a day. I'm wondering if this is normal.

On the opposite end of this, I notice that if I eat too much carbs I don't feel good. I get tired after the meal and I feel stuffed. Of course I haven't binged on a high carb meal for this same reason. The effects of doing so doesn't appeal to me but eating too little carbs also seems to affect me negatively. I haven't read anything about this anywhere else so I'm just wondering if it's normal.