Adaline // Daily 20-23 hours fasting. My weight loss experiment.

AdalineIF
AdalineIF Posts: 21 Member
Hello! 

I am 38 years old / 1.65 m / 72 kg, and almost 2 weeks ago I've started my weight loss experiment, daily 20-23 hours fasting, in hope that this will help with my insulin resistance and binge eating problems. In the last years I’ve tried all the classical strategies to lose weight (restrict calories // restrict junk // restrict carbs) but without success on long term, because all forms of restricted eating trigger my binge eating problems. Now I want to try if this IF pattern (IF 20/4 and IF 23/1=OMAD), without restricting anything else, helps me to lose weight, without triggering binge episodes. 

Until now I'm very happy with the results, not necesarily the weight loss (1 kg fat loss), but mostly the fact that I've adapted very well to only one meal a day. In the first week I had 3 days OMAD, and 4 days 20/4, but in the second week I had only 1 no-fast day, 4 OMAD and hope to make them 6. And I hope to be this easy until the end of my weight loss journey, at 50-55 kg (a girl can dream :) ).

In my journey helps me keeping a daily journal on my blog in an embedded google sheet file, to record the weight fluctuation, my goal progress, intake of good carbs and junk, binge episodes, notes, details about the daily fasting pattern. This helps me to see "the big picture" and not to make the same mistakes like in the last 3.5 years. 

I've decided to join this community, because I like that it is motivational and full of good advices for my long journey that I have ahead. And because you can not have "too much motivation", yesterday I've decided to start a 15 Weeks Progress Challenge - with weekly status of Lost weight, Remaining until goal, Progress % Achieved Goal versus % Time past. I've posted here a Demo Template that simulates status after 4 weeks: dailyfastingweightloss.blogspot.de/2016/08/15-weeks-progress-challenge-2016.html . (I'm sorry, I do not know if I'm allowed to post links to my blog in this group. If not, I apologize, and please edit my message.)
The challenge starts on this Friday, 2 September, and I'll be happy if another OMAD fan would join to compare results (there are still 2 more participants, but on a different IF pattern.)

I will end my first message by saying a big Thank you! to Joe, for all his time, energy, knowdlege invested in his YouTube video channel and in leading this group. Listening his videos made me realize what mistakes I've made in the last months of trying OMAD and why I have not succeed until now. So again, thank you!

I hope to have only good updates to share and wish you all Good Luck! 

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi! Welcome! Outside links are fine. We aren't that regulated here! :-p
  • AdalineIF
    Yeah... my relationship with dieting in the last 4 years. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trJnFGVdaR8

If anyone is interested:
    The Movie “Fixing Dad” Is Now Free to Watch.
    “Geoff was overweight, over-worked and resigned to a premature death from a catalogue of health conditions. In November 2013 his doctor felt he and Geoff needed to talk about the possibility of foot amputation due to his type 2 diabetes. The arch of one foot had already collapsed as a result of Charcot’s foot (a complication associated with diabetes) and the other foot was developing ulcers due to poor circulation. It was at this point that his sons, Anthony and Ian, decided that their own lives had to wait and they embarked on a mission to restore their dad’s health and enjoyment of life.”
    About the film.
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Welcome Adaline (LOVE your name, so classic and lovely), so glad you're here! Also, thank you for your kind comments on my thread and for the movie link too!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Welcome Adaline (have you seen the movie with your namesake? Age of Adaline -spelling may be different)

It sounds like you have a good plan, look forward to reading more! I'm new to it as well.
  • AdalineIF
    Yes. Twice. :)

Wish you good luck!
  • AdalineIF
    Time-Restricted Eating – a Detailed Intermittent Fasting Guide
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Howdy! Looking forwards to reading more. I appreciate your efforts. I learn a lot and it helps all of us sharing experiences I believe.
  • AdalineIF
    Thank you blambo for your message.
    blambo61 wrote: »
    it helps all of us sharing experiences I believe.
    My opinion exactly!

• AdalineIF
    I've posted these 3 studies on another thread, but I will copy-paste them here, if anyone is interested.

I’ve also read that when-the-eating-hours-are is important for weight loss. If you have your eating window in the daytime you are losing more weight than having it in the evening. And the cause is that insulin release is greater in the evening, at identical meals.

This study I think it says it all: the study compared the effect of eating a large breakfast versus a large dinner: both groups ate 1.400 calories, BF group lose 8.7 kg, D group lose 3.6 kg. So yes, the time of your eating window is essential for weight loss.

“So what this study did was to randomly assign two groups of overweight women to eating a large breakfast (BF group) or a large dinner (D group). Both ate 1400 calories/day, and the macronutrient composition of each diet was matched – only the timing of the largest meal was changed. While both groups lost weight, the BF group was clearly superior for both weight loss and waist size (important measure of visceral fat) by almost 2.5 times (-8.7 kg vs -3.6 kg).”

Extras from Dr. Fung’s article: Circadian Rhythms – Fasting
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/circadian-rhytms-fasting-17/

And here is the link for the whole study: High caloric intake at breakfast vs. dinner differentially influences weight loss of overweight and obese women.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.20460/epdf

Another 2 studies I found in this article in The Washington Post: Why eating late at night may be particularly bad for you and your diet.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-eating-late-at-night-may-be-particularly-bad-for-you-and-your-diet/2015/08/24/ad8b85ac-2583-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html

Extras:
    “Two recent studies have shed new light on the potential impact of timing. In a study of 420 overweight or obese people published in 2013, those who ate their major meal after 3 p.m. lost less weight during a 20-week weight-loss program than those who ate that main meal before 3 p.m. — even when the amount they ate, slept and exercised was the same.

“This is the first study to show that eating later in the day . . . makes people lose less weight, and lose it slower,” even when the amount people ate, slept and exercised was the same, says the study’s lead author, Marta Garaulet, a professor of physiology at the University of Murcia in Spain. “It shows that eating late impairs the success of weight-loss therapy.” In the 2013 study, the early eaters lost 22 pounds, the late eaters only 17.

In a subsequent small study of healthy women published this year, Garaulet and her team showed that when participants ate lunch after 4:30 p.m., they burned fewer calories while resting and digesting their food than they did when they ate at 1 p.m. — even though the calories consumed and level of activity was the same.

What’s more, when the participants ate late, they couldn’t metabolize, or burn off, carbohydrates as well as when they ate earlier. They also had decreased glucose tolerance, which can lead to diabetes. (The two-week study did not track whether the women gained or lost weight.)”

Direct links to the studies:
    1. Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756673/

2. Meal timing affects glucose tolerance, substrate oxidation and circadian-related variables: A randomized, crossover trial.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25311083

• blambo61
    Interesting but the feasabiltiy issue is important to me. I could not eat my big meal for breakfast and then fast for the rest of the day and into the evening. Once I start eating, I get hungry and want to keep eating. It would be pure torture for me. The appetite suppression from fasting while sleeping and after waking is what has enabled me to not eat for 21 hours consistently and lose weight. I don't doubt it might make a difference between morn and evening eating but I don't think it would work for me. It may for others though and could be tried.

I think the reference you gave on by Fung said that sugar in the morning caused higher insulin spikes due to the hormone cycle mentioned. That is what I remember anyways.
  • OMADing1
    Thanks for all the helpful links and stats!

My meal time is between 6pm-10pm and I must say, that time is so very natural to/for me. Eating a night for me has helped me overcome the dreaded "snacking and a bit of this and a tad of that throughout the day, which helped make me and keep me fat and lazy. My cravings for sugary/carby/junky stuff is virtually gone out of my system because of eating my OMAD at night. It's truly a no brainer, no fuss, no muss no pain timing for me. Because when it's my evening mealtime, by the time I'm done with my planned meal for the day, I usually don't have any space in my tummy nor desire for the junky stuff I may have wanted earlier in the day, it's nothing less than amazing.

If I were to have my meal time earlier than what's natural and good to/for me, I'd be HANGRY most of the day, grouchy, lethargic and quite frankly tempted to binge or worse, to give up all together. Eating at my time of evening is truly a gift of sorts to and for me. OMAD is a lifestyle to me, but if I were to eat earlier in the day, it would be a like all the other "diets" I've tried in the past...a feeling of deprivation would overcome me, it would be more of a "forced" and unnatural/less intuitive and more "will power" deal for me. Eating my OMAD between 6pm-10pm takes NO will power or strain or stress at all--it's perfect for me and the pounds and inches are flying off of me too. Though the stats show one will lose more if eating time were earlier, I'd much rather have the delight and overcoming power evening mealtime gives me than the few extra pounds I could lose if my timing was different.

Here's a new Joe video's that help explain better than I can:

When is the Best Time to Eat My OMAD Meal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFiUcYJMB8

• AdalineIF
    edited September 2016
    Thank you for describing how is in your case.

I start to eat when I'm hungry, because otherwise (pushing the meal at the end of the day) it affects my circadian rythm, puts a lot of stress on my body and that means not only no-OMAD, but 100% binge.
    In the last months I've tried all the possible fixed options without success. The winner is "eating when hungry". In the morning I'm not hungry, so I don't eat. Fung wrote about this in a very interesting article: The Dawn Phenomenon: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/ Natural hunger, for me, comes usually around 10-11 am, but I have days when I'm super-busy, and hunger comes at 3-4 pm, after I'm done with all the work. And I eat, absolutely no binge, and fast the next 20-23 hours without problems, no cravings, no aditional hunger, no lethargy, no nothing. Interesting thing is that in the first week I had the same problems that you are saying: if I've started to eat during the day, over 4 hours I will feel again strong hunger, sometimes I could resist, but sometimes not, so no OMAD that day. Here is the pattern for the last 2 weeks (last 4 columns): http://dailyfastingweightloss.blogspot.de/2016/08/daily-fasting-weight-loss-journal-start.html . First week: first 3 days "error". Next 2 OMAD. Another 1 day "error". Next 3 OMAD. So my body adapts and I'm getting better and better at this, at fasting 23 hours. Day 10 was "big error", no fast at all, but after that, 8 OMAD in a row. And counting. I think that after the first week, the body knows now that I'm eating only once a day, every day, when natural hungry, whatever it craves, until full. And after that meal, 23 hours fasting is natural. There are sometimes harder days (when I'm sleeping less, or stressed more), but until now I've managed to "ride the waves of hunger". But in this helps me to make the difference between.. (let's exagerate) "starvation hunger" (from too large caloric deficit, many days in a row) and "hormonal hunger" (stress). If I will feel the first one (a sign for this is if I would feel the urge to binge on my first meal), I will eat my second meal that day. If not, I try to resist.

I've watched Joe's video yesterday (and I LOVED the second one :) ), and I'm in the middle. I guess the correct answer is to eat when is more intuitive and less stressful. For some is lunch, for others is dinner. The body will adapt to any pattern, as long is consistant, predictible.

I liked this 2 articles. Useful info for me to know.
    Fasting and Hunger
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-hunger-fasting-17/
    Cephalic Phase Response and Hunger
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/cephalic-phase-response-hunger-fasting-18/

Bookmark: Coolest thing about IF ;)

https://youtu.be/oY27KJyPX7Y
  • blambo61
    Great pic!
  • AdalineIF
    edited September 2016
    @Bob: Joe's merit. :)

Hi newmeadow and thank you for your message.

For me, it's about Joe's message in that video, not his favorite meal. (But if it were up to my taste, I would have added some potatoes B) , and leaved the juice for another meal without fruits.)

But since you've opened the 1.200-calories-subject, when I'm eating OMAD, I believe in eating-until-you-do-not-want-to-eat-anymore. Some days it's 800 calories, other days it's 1.300 (with fruits eaten an hour early). I let the body decide "how much" and for me is less stress.

I also don't believe in "minimum 1.200 calories/day" to not enter in "starvation mode". As long I listen to my body and eating-when-true-hungry, and have weekly days with 2.000-2.500 calories, I think there is no danger in eating around 1.000 calories/day, a few days in a row.

But everybody's different. For some probably is less stress with 1.200-calories-rule. Important thing is that the rules we each have, "to do their job" and get us safely to our target weight.

• blambo61
    edited September 2016
    I just eat tell full and stay topped off by grazing in the evening. I'm able to get away with that but I think some might not be able to. Doing that, exercising, and taking some ACV, I've been able to lose 2-lbs/week doing that. I do try to fill up on my protein and low carb stuff 1st so don't eat too much high carb and and a lot of my snacking is fruit but nothing is off limits for me and I seem to graze a little on several things. Again, that might not work for a lot of people but is working for me and takes a lot of stress off of me because I get to eat tell full and whatever I want after the main meal for my approx 3-hr window. If this wasn't working, I would have to cut back the eating window to two hours but I still would eat as I pleased to see if it would work. For me, getting full is important, even if it is just for the initial meal. The shrunk stomach helps protect me also from that being too much. I don't count cals anymore and won't worry about it unless I stop losing weight. I just go by how I feel for now.
  • blambo61
    I just eat tell full and stay topped off by grazing in the evening. I'm able to get away with that but I think some might not be able to. Doing that, exercising, and taking some ACV, I've been able to lose 2-lbs/week doing that. I do try to fill up on my protein and low carb stuff 1st so don't eat too much high carb and and a lot of my snacking is fruit but nothing is off limits for me and I seem to graze a little on several things. Again, that might not work for a lot of people but is working for me and takes a lot of stress off of me because I get to eat tell full and whatever I want after the main meal for my approx 3-hr window. If this wasn't working, I would have to cut back the eating window to two hours but I still would eat as I pleased to see if it would work. For me, getting full is important, even if it is just for the initial meal. The shrunk stomach helps protect me also from that being too much. I don't count cals anymore and won't worry about it unless I stop losing weight. I just go by how I feel for now. If I'm hungry, I eat in the evenings.

• AdalineIF
    edited September 2016
    I just eat tell full and stay topped off by grazing in the evening. I'm able to get away with that but I think some might not be able to. Doing that, exercising, and taking some ACV, I've been able to lose 2-lbs/week doing that. I do try to fill up on my protein and low carb stuff 1st so don't eat too much high carb and and a lot of my snacking is fruit but nothing is off limits for me and I seem to graze a little on several things. Again, that might not work for a lot of people but is working for me and takes a lot of stress off of me because I get to eat tell full and whatever I want after the main meal for my approx 3-hr window. If this wasn't working, I would have to cut back the eating window to two hours but I still would eat as I pleased to see if it would work. For me, getting full is important, even if it is just for the initial meal. The shrunk stomach helps protect me also from that being too much. I don't count cals anymore and won't worry about it unless I stop losing weight. I just go by how I feel for now.

It seems from the last 2 days, that I'm not able to eat OMAD in the days when I'm more active. So I have 2 meals, IF 20/4, more or less like you.
    After I've read Perfect Health Diet (Jaminet), I try to fill with resistant starch (500 cal carbs + 500 cal proteins & fats). Maybe I'm subjective, but it seems easier for me to fast 23 hours on this diet, weight-loss version.

Very good progress with 2 lbs/week. Congratulation!
    Today I've given up my hopes for 2 kilos / month. I can eat A LOT in 2 meals. But that's life. If I'm hungry, I will eat. If this means to lose only 1 kilo / month, so be it. Still better than none.
  • OMADing1
    Rooting for you Adeline! o:)
  • blambo61
    AdalineIF wrote: »

It seems from the last 2 days, that I'm not able to eat OMAD in the days when I'm more active. So I have 2 meals, IF 20/4, more or less like you.
    After I've read Perfect Health Diet (Jaminet), I try to fill with resistant starch (500 cal carbs + 500 cal proteins & fats). Maybe I'm subjective, but it seems easier for me to fast 23 hours on this diet, weight-loss version.

Very good progress with 2 lbs/week. Congratulation!
    Today I've given up my hopes for 2 kilos / month. I can eat A LOT in 2 meals. But that's life. If I'm hungry, I will eat. If this means to lose only 1 kilo / month, so be it. Still better than none.

It's a balance I believe. Too fast and we might get burned out and quit. Too slow and the same. We need to make descent progress but it has to be sustainable.
  • AdalineIF
    edited September 2016
    You're right about too fast / too slow. Hope in next months to be better adapted and to eat OMAD also in the days when I'm more active. And I remember that video "timeline of changes" and that means I need to be patient.

Bookmark:

https://youtu.be/fmbctWCacXg