Living the Lifestyle Thursday Sept 1

Options
2»

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I eat I front of the TV all the time. The battle takes place in the kitchen where I still weigh and measure.

This is probably why I could never make it as a dark sider. There's still an element of strapping on the feed bag for me. My program is to not eat stuff that's not on my plate and control what goes on the plate.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    "Darksider"?
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,312 Member
    Options
    I like the Darkside.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others regarding weighing and measuring and plate prep before I eat in front of the TV. Taking a bag or container of snacks to the couch to keep me company is not something I tend to do without knowing the calorie count.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    not something I tend to do without knowing the calorie count.

I'm finding that knowing the calorie count is really freeing. I thought I would hate tracking, but it is just the opposite
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Your responses, as always, have given me things to think about and specific strategies to implement. WW had a series of promotions about "spaces" a while back (my leader mentioned this yesterday as well) that I found very helpful at the time, but the concept had drifted to the back of my mind. Measuring out servings and getting rid of the large bags or boxes is something I can do to prep my space in advance, rather than trying to make the best decision at my weakest time.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Was out of town last night with slower internet than usual and can't do more than a few sentences on my phone without uttering a whole litter of *kittens*!

Anyway, I'm a mixed bag on this one. Sometimes I really enjoy sitting (or standing) and being present with my food. Lots of times though, I'm eating before leaving home or shortly after getting home. Those times tend to be busier with household chores, catching up on the day's events, etc.

I'm actually not much of a TV watcher, though I do have some shows I watch on my computer. I don't often eat at the same time only because I find I either focus on food or the program but usually not both together. However, I also read various things on the internet while eating so it's a little like TV I suppose. More to the point, it's distracted eating.

I'd guess I'm probably about 50/50 distracted vs not. Right now I'm not feeling the need to change.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,003 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think the point of the advice was more around "mindfulness" than environment or location.

For many of us, eating in front of the TV was part of "grazing", or eating for entertainment. How many of us got here because we took 17 chips from the bag and ate in front of the TV, and how many because we took the bag and ate in front of the TV until the bag was empty?

(Note - we really need a "raises hand" emoji here.)

So I eat at the kitchen table, which is next to the family room and TV. At breakfast it's food and the Boston Globe on the iPad; in the evening it's dinner and some DVR. Like Steve-O, however, the meals are pre-portioned and the the food is gone the meal is over. There's no grazing; it's just about the environment.

(Busy week at work; I'm part of the "better late than never" club here.)