September Workout Thread!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i was thinking of doing 'half' deadlifts, i.e. just light ones to keep my muscle memory refreshed in time for 'real' deadlifts at t-space this week. i've been switching up a few things with my form, which is why i didn't want to let a whole 13 days go by before i went and did them again in working mode. so i started out with warmup sets of five from 70, did 20 pound jumps up to 120. changed my mind and decided to just do the 'real' thing after all. did the first set of 120 as five, second set of 140 as three . . . then overloaded all the way up to 170 on the last set because i was too lazy to do the 165 math and go hunting for fractional plates.

then i changed my mind back about making this 'real' when i tried to break that off the ground :P i took a lot of weight off and went back to doing singles at 120 because i like the 'new' form so much and i still felt as if i'd been forgetting it 50% of the time. it involves a different cue routine that seems to work better for me. and is re-introducing some things i'd been getting downright sloppy about.

i didn't do anything else, except for a ton of band pulls to counter-act the effects of my bench, plus another new-form project for overhead press. i truly did stay light with the press though. just 3x8-ish with 30 pounds.

now i really want to make beef barley soup, but really don't want to go do the freezer digging that it would take to locate my beef stock. i'm planning to eat a megaton of protein in SOME form or another though.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym last night after work instead of before, so was doing deadlifts at midnight. Then I worked at 7 am this morning after maybe 4 hours of sleep. Not a lot of staff for morning but it also wasn't needed as it was super slow customer count wise. Though they scheduled people who often cashier all for afternoon and none of the usual people for morning. So, split the shift with someone so we could both get other things done too. However, headache started to develop and now it's blah. I've been trying to hydrate more as I've had headaches almost every day for around a week. Will have to see if it helps soon. Lifting last night was tough but nice to have the basically empty gym and not really much traffic getting there and home again. However, I had to alter the squats as my right hand has been bothering me for the past few days so front squats weren't going to work. Ended up doing goblet squats. Deadlifts weren't easy but made it through.

front squat 1x8 @ 45, low bar back squat, 1-10 @ 45
    goblet squat 3x8 @ 45
    good morning 3x10 @ 95
    deadlift 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185, with belt 4x3 @ 225

Nothing else as needed to get home and sleep.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    todays workout,
    squats 5x5 @60lb. slowly working back up while working on form.
    bench press 5 5 5 5 3 @60lb. annoyed i failed on the last set but better than last time.
    rows. 5x5 @55lb.

• OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

This morning's session was

Squats 3x5x170 lbs
    Bench 5x8x75 lbs - I was supposed to do 80, but I'm mentally blocked so I went 75 and did more reps.
    Rows 5x10x65 lbs - Same here. I haven't been seeing a strength increase so I scaled it back with more reps.

I'm hoping the additional reps help. I have really weak upper body strength. :-(

also been incorporating inclined push-ups and weighted inclined superman lifts.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, gym vent. I really don't mind when a guy comes up to me to offer advice. Sometimes I agree and other times I disagree, but I appreciate the discourse. However, when you tell me I have to drop the weight, that I shouldn't lift so heavy and use very little weight I am going to nod politely and completely ignore your comments. Ugh. Also, don't give me advice if you don't know the difference between a high bar squat and low bar squat. Just because you do high bar, does not mean it's the only safe way to squat. Ok, rant over.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X10X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    2 miles
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Nice workouts everyone! Otiwan, haha people have some nerve!

Today's stronglifts:
    5x5 squats: 140lbs. Although i completed it, my form was off. I have a bunion acting up due to wearing flip flops all summer, im sure that is the culprit. Will repeat this weight.

5x5 bench: 95lbs. Felt heavy, but good.
    5x5 row: 95lbs. Heeeavy. Will progress but it's getting tough.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i told myself i was going to ride home without exerting any serious effort today, no matter how long that might take.

i wasn't kidding either.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    @OtiWanKenobi - agreed. Also, don't get cranky just because I don't take your advice on how to do wrist curls... As if I don't have a reason for my current method. Luckily, I rarely get approached and more often then not it's just cause they are surprised to see females lifting. Not many advice givers around so far.

Today I was lazy this morning, plus had an online newsletter due, so I went to the gym after work. While it means for a late night, I do like lifting after work and plus so much less traffic after 11 pm on the highway and in the gym.

Warmups: band pull apart 3x10, bench 2x10 @ 45 and 1x8 @ 65

CTE Time test (one minute)
    bench 12 @ 85 (should note can set it back and pause during minute test then keep going)
    assisted pull ups 10
    tricep pushdown 18 @ 35
    seated row 16 @ 72.5

bench 3x6 @ 85
    assisted pulls ups 3x5
    tricep pushdown 3x9 @ 35
    seated row 3x8 @ 72.5

20 minute jog on treadmill

Made it to day off too. After five days of working, I get a day off, then work a day before getting two days off. Lots to do during that time including gather quarters and do laundry. I miss having a washer and dryer in the apartment.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X7X 40

2 miles

Week one, day one of my transition from the 35 pound kettle bell to the 40 pound. Boy is it heavy! I am so glad that I follow the first four weeks of the five-week basic program. That way I feel confident that I will not injure myself. I will do this on strong lift rest days for the first four weeks.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Bench was awful today. Did a drop set at 70# instead of fifth set. Not sure if I should try one more or go ahead and deload. Darn turd kids lost one of my fractional weights. Grrr!

ubanfixw7zw1.png
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    bike ride. never squatted. i'm getting little firecracker messages from my si zone that i don't like, so i'm waiting and hoping that they'll go away.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout B
    Squats- 1 X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X45/50/55/60, 5x5X55
    DL-1X5X 150

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X 10 X 35

5 miles
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    work had a half-day social event that involved burritos the size of your head. so i skipped biking in favour of sack races, spoon relays, frisbee volleyball and stuff like that.

ate pretty much all of one of them burritos too. RAWR.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Today's workout:
    Squat 5x5: 140lbs
    ohp 5x5: 80lbs
    deadlift 1x5: 165

All felt good. Today's the end of my week, looking forward to the 2 days rest.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    todays workout;
    squat 5x5 @65 lbs .felt so much better today,looking forward to getting back heavier.
    ohp 5x5 @4olbs.
    deadlift 1x5@105lbs.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Lazy this morning so stayed in bed longer than necessary but still got a couple of things done online before going in for the afternoon shift. Went to gym afterwards, which wasn't too bad. Did have a headache yet again. Managed to lift through it and this time I managed to get what I tried last week with the squats. Food didn't go well today. Ate too much but eh, it happens. I'm planning things out to try and get better on this deficit. Need to grocery shop tomorrow.

squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x6 @ 135
    with belt - 2x4 @ 175 and 2x3 @ 185
    overload with belt @ 245 for 20 count
    pause squat - 1x4 @ 125 and 1x3 @ 135

Skipped sumo deadlift tonight. Could have worked out more cause yeah, but headache and the noise, etc. Decided to go home. Have the next two days off, so that is a plus. Get to work on other things plus might do upper body tomorrow, pending how things go.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-3X 10 X 40, 10 X 10 X 40
    Week one day two of transitioning to the 40 pound kettle bell. I accidentally did 10 swings for the first three sets. You get into the habit and it's easy to forget. The Kettlebell is really heavy! It is fine when I have it in the swing motion but when I put it down it makes a loud thud!

5 miles
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    trainer day, ohp 5's up to 55 (got 7), and deadlift 3's up to 140. i stopped on the middle set and backed down to do tinkering, and then i ran out of time.

stopped at the rec centre afterwards though to keep on tinkering. so i did quite a number of 120 and 130 and 130 deads.