Low Carb Dining Out

Options

Replies

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Dominican restaurants/delis - pernil, chicharones, ribs without sauce, roasted chicken - all so fatty and yummy!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Most Thai curries are low carb. (The thickener is coconut cream, rather than corn starch.) Some Indian restaurants use potato starch. It is supposed to be resistant starch, and my system definitely treats it that way.

Hmm. How does this work? (Constipating? :s )
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My fav local Mexican place does an unbreaded chile poblano, stuffed with either beef or chicken. They let me get this with guac and sour cream instead of rice and beans.

My fav local breakfast place has a 3 egg omelette, smothered with their green chili (3 net carb) that is on the early bird special menu.

Smashburger, you can order them all without the bun, works for an on the go lunch.

I am finding most places are happy to skip any of the side things, like fries, biscuits & gravy, pancakes or toast. I even get eggs benedict from a Le Peeps that will hold the English muffin, just putting the meat and eggs with the sauce on the plate, they give me some sliced tomato and lettuce instead, cause I am a regular there.

It is amazing how many places will gladly hold items for you, just ask with a smile. After all they don't have to put product on the plate, which helps them out too.

Someone has already posted Carrabba's, I just want to add they are one of the few places that serve spinach that is worthy of eating, it is sauteed in EVOO, with garlic slices.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    kmsnyg wrote: »
    I owe this thread and its particpants a big thank you. Reading it gave me the idea to go to Five Guys and I ate a bunless lettuce wrapped little bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onions, mayo and ketchup. It was the best thing I've ate in five months, ha! Under 500 calories and 10 g of carbs.

If you get a lil or regular bacon cheese burger, extra cheese and extra bacon are FREE! Just ask for it along with your other toppings. Also, an additional patty is $1.80 or so. Omnomnomnom.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I usually get a steak, or fish or a steak/salmon salad, or bunless burger when we go out. Often a restaurant has perfect low carb stuff if you ignore the potato or rice -- last night I had ling cod covered in macadamia nut crust with roasted cauliflower, broccoli, red pepper and beans. It was good enough that I didn't feel jealous of the Spousal Unit's taglliatelle with seafood and chorizo sausage.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ooh five guys was my suggestion and I'm getting one TODAY! Glad it helped x
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just went to my favorite Mexican restaurant Sunday and had a great guacamole salad. It comes on lettuce with a heavy dose of 2 kinds of cheese. I wasn't very hungry, but next time, I think I will get some of the fajita meat a la cart to go with it.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Red Robin (and most places) will lettuce wrap their burgers if you ask. You can also get broccoli for a side instead of fries, and if you want an app they will swap tortilla chips out for celery or mixed veg of some sort. I got the spinach dip with celery sticks.

The only low carb thing at the old spaghetti factory is their brown butter broccoli dish but OH MAN is it good. Their meatballs have bread so stay away!

Jimmy johns unwiches are GREAT, one of my favorite options hands down. The gargantuan is like 9 bucks but it's a huge sandwich and very filling.

Most mexican restaurants offer fajitas - I always get the biggest order of steak/chicken fajitas they have and just don't bother with the tortillas. Sub the rice/beans for whatever mixed vegs they have.
  • _tierachanel
    _tierachanel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I should be ashamed, but I'm not... there are SEVERAL mexican restaurants in town that are oblivious if I order their yummy food and bring my own low carb tortillas. :smile: sometimes I order burritos and unwrap and rewrap them, sometimes I just order the guts and then wrap them. It violates "policy", but meh.

OMG I NEVER THOUGHT TO BRING MY OWN LOW CARB TORTILLAS!! I know we arent allowed to do that but what they don't know won't hurt them :D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I should be ashamed, but I'm not... there are SEVERAL mexican restaurants in town that are oblivious if I order their yummy food and bring my own low carb tortillas. :smile: sometimes I order burritos and unwrap and rewrap them, sometimes I just order the guts and then wrap them. It violates "policy", but meh.

OMG I NEVER THOUGHT TO BRING MY OWN LOW CARB TORTILLAS!! I know we arent allowed to do that but what they don't know won't hurt them :D

My fave local Mexican place (Amigos) has a low-carb chimichanga. They use a low-carb wraps. Heavenly. At the other place I order their Carne Asada.

@Sabine_Stroehm -that is a great idea.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick with a meat and veg for most meals. I have to watch my dairy intake so I don't do much will cheese. I love a nice piece of salmon with sauteed green beans and extra butter. Yum!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I just have fajitas and don't eat the tortillas - but that's not because of Keto that's because I just like to eat the meat and veggies - the tortilla ruins it for me. The beans and rice I pawn off on others.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I just have fajitas and don't eat the tortillas - but that's not because of Keto that's because I just like to eat the meat and veggies - the tortilla ruins it for me. The beans and rice I pawn off on others.

I can get that!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I tend to stick with a meat and veg for most meals. I have to watch my dairy intake so I don't do much will cheese. I love a nice piece of salmon with sauteed green beans and extra butter. Yum!

We eat out A LOT. And I mostly get salmon and something. Caesar, veg, you name it. If not that, then steak and veg, chicken and veg....
    Again, for those who don't know me, I don't really think "low carb", but rather slow carb, and this works for me as a restaurant strategy. It's a GREAT one, actually.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wendy's will do anything in a lettuce wrap or you can order things a la carte to save money if you don't eat veg.

Also A & W does the same thing with the burgers and theirs have no antibiotics or hormones either.
    Tim Horton's makes a mean Caesar w/o croutons.... bacon chunks and shaved parm with full fat very low sugar Renee's Caesar dressing - 1 tbsp is 10g fat and 1 g carb.
    Also at Wendy's the blue cheese is only 35 cents, I get double blue cheese on everything, lol. I have the staff all trained, when they see me coming they pull out the tub of blue cheese and get that little scoop ready.
  • 3john2011
    3john2011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some very good Ideals for me being new to low carb. I have been just making sure I have my cooler in the car with if nothing else low carb wraps and peanut butter.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am definitely bringing my own low-carb tortillas next time my wife wants to go eat mexican!