Bingeing vs. Overeating - Difference / Gray Area?

Options
I read that with bingeing you feel more out of touch with reality (during the binge), and feel more out of control, whereas with overeating you're more aware of what's going on.

But sometimes I find myself in that gray area... where I'm not sure if I technically binged or not. Anyone else ever feel this way?

What is the difference for you as individuals, personally?

Replies

• MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    For me there is no difference. Letting go for a bit and over doing it is not a binge or overeating . I have normal ups and downs. That holiday I take from good sense eating will be counteracted by low calorie high nutrition days that come just as easily.

Overeating/ binging is different. I can be well aware and do the "wrong thing" anyway. I may feel driven to stay full. Distraction may be my goal. A very large meal is an example of one form of expression. Emotion or discomfort could be the trigger.

Binge eating and overeating are the same for me. It does not matter if it is a single meal; over several hours; or over several days. The problem is I've consumed too much and it falls outside of normal variances in eating habits.

Some would say if your "normal" is more than your body requires you're an overeater and not a binge eater. I believe the definition is more individual. One may be a chronic binge eater; overeat by habit; or define their behavior another way.

Personally, I needed to find my own definition. There was no addressing my compulsive over eating until I gained this important self knowledge.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My personal binging is typically related more to compulsive eating and a lack of control. For me, overeating is just, "oh, that's good, I'll have a second serving, even though I don't need it." Binging leads to me having to unbutton my pants to sit comfortably or lean back so I don't press my overfull belly - or leads to heartburn/indigestion, etc. Overeating generally leaves me with that passing thought, "I didnt' really need that, but it's life!" Whereas binging leaves more feeling of regret and angst and guilt and all that (though I've worked on banishing this myself!), etc.

But, despite these differences, if I have to ask myself if it was overeating or a binge, and I start any level of negotiation (less calories than last time, or a serving less or it was just a nibble, or I didn't eat as much at lunch, blah blah blah), that tells me there is guilt, and even though I work not to let it influence me much anymore, I label it a binge and move on. For me, it really comes down to the fact that if I have to ask, there were emotions and a lack of control involved. If there are any of these, to me, that's the path I'm working to avoid. Does that make sense, @denisemarielarnder?

Essentially, in the end, the labels don't matter. If you regret the choice, actively, work towards not repeating that choice again. If it's just a blip in life, move on and put it behind you, no matter what it's title.

And something that helped me get out of this loop was to ask myself why I was really needing to define the difference? Did it matter that I felt like I failed? A binge is NOT a failure. It is an event, generally one in which we do not have full control and couldn't stop. If you have a car accident because you were drunk behind the wheel, that is your fault. But if you have a car accident due to mechanical failure, do you sit and beat yourself up over not being able to overcome a system/mechanical issue you weren't aware was about to fail, etc.? Perspective is the only thing that helps me fight back, really, in that mental arena. Supplements help with the compulsions, but perspective helps the mental aspects...

Regardless, best of luck in your own struggles.