what vitamins and supplements are you using or none?

Options

Replies

• BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Centrum 50Plus
    Wild Salmon & Fish oil
    MCT Oil
    Magnesium
    Potassium
    Calcium
    Vitamin D3
    Fenugreek
    Lutein
    B12
    Tumeric

i usually try to get the Natures Bounty or webber naturals when I can
  • BennettVicious
    BennettVicious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Code Women
    Primal Calm (oh my gosh, this is so good for anxiety)
    Primal Omegas
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone who has answered so far. I was wondering if I was kinda the oddball who took a bunch of pills every day. I'M really surprised only one person far has said they take none. I also find it interesting that many of us take a combination of deficiency replacements, and supplementals.
  • TraceyScullion
    TraceyScullion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Magnesium
    Potassium
    Vit B
    Vit D
    Fish Oil
    Multivitamin
    Spirulina
    Probiotics
  • BrittaniMyChelle
    BrittaniMyChelle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Right now, just a multi, protein powder and amino preworkout
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I probably need to do some more research. I currently take:
    Vitamin D3 5000
    Vitamin B12 sublingual
    melatonin 6mg (that's a new one)
    probiotics

I have inositol that I need to start taking but haven't yet.

Be careful with melatonin. That's a very large dose. Even the 3mg which is the lowest dose I've found in stores is best broken into 3 to 6 pieces for proper dosing to prevent your own melatonin from down regulating.

I was prescribed 15 mg by a psychiatrist for chronic insomnia with no ill effects, although some people have nightmares for a couple weeks even on small doses. He said they routinely prescribed those levels and even a bit higher for children and adolescents, too.

I currently take 6 mg each night.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    D3 w/K2, B-Complex,Milk Thistle, and Magnesium.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone who has answered so far. I was wondering if I was kinda the oddball who took a bunch of pills every day. I'M really surprised only one person far has said they take none. I also find it interesting that many of us take a combination of deficiency replacements, and supplementals.

The best way to avoid needing supps with LCHF is to eat plenty of offal. Unfortunately, due to consumer tastes, getting it can be a pain in the *kitten*. Most of the stuff never even sees a market, and just ends up being used in pet food and the like.

Make friends with a butcher who runs his own shop though, and you'd be amazed at what you can get.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    On top of my prescriptions for thyroid medication and progesterone, I'm taking magnesium, selenium (for T4/T3 conversion), Tryptophan (for insomnia), GABA (for insomnia) Ashwaghanda (for adrenal issues), B12 (deficient), D3 (deficient) and B6 (to help metabolize the Tryptophan). But I am quite ill, having had several years of almost intolerable insomnia brought on by decades of insufficient thyroid treatment.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Honestly I fell out of the habit of taking my supplements months ago and haven't started back. I feel ok and my latest labs didn't show anything low. I have a liquid electrolyte mix I use after tough workouts or if I think I'm at risk of dehydration.

So now I guess there are 2 no supplements/vitamin people here!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

The best way to avoid needing supps with LCHF is to eat plenty of offal. Unfortunately, due to consumer tastes, getting it can be a pain in the *kitten*. Most of the stuff never even sees a market, and just ends up being used in pet food and the like.

Make friends with a butcher who runs his own shop though, and you'd be amazed at what you can get.

We butcher and process our own deer and pigs and I have to say that offal goes to the dogs here too...YUCK!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

We butcher and process our own deer and pigs and I have to say that offal goes to the dogs here too...YUCK!!

Boooo. If I were anywhere near you guys, I'd definitely be interested in a lot of the pig organs. Not sure about deer though, as I've never had the opportunity to do anything with theirs.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Being a gastric bypass patient I am on supplements for life!
    over 50, women's multivitamin
    B12 (injections)
    D3
    Calcium
    Vitamin C
    B complex
    Vitamin E

Keto supplements I haven't been able to stop because of continued leg cramps, even after 19 months:
    Magnesium citrate capsules
    Sodium chloride tablets (hate the taste of salt!)
    Potassium (2-3 times a week, not daily)

I love the fact that I take more supplements than actual prescriptions now!

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Honestly I fell out of the habit of taking my supplements months ago and haven't started back. I feel ok and my latest labs didn't show anything low. I have a liquid electrolyte mix I use after tough workouts or if I think I'm at risk of dehydration.

Three! I don't supplement either.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss has some definite ideas on the what and when...

@RalfLott - Sorry for the delay, I was in the middle of a tortured and lengthy move. I have way to much CRAPPOLA! Need to work on paring it all down, that said, this is what I also posted in my blog recently...

Knit's Rules of Pill Popping - hee hee, come on, y'all know me, right? *giggles like a schoolgirl*

Otherwise Known as Suggested Medication/Supplement Staggering

I've been asked tons of times about scheduling of meds, pills, supplements, and whatnot. This is what I do. Obviously, some things won't apply to some folks, and some things that apply to y'all won't to me, etc. But the same things apply. If you need to stagger things, this is kind of a way to do that without too many headaches. Happy to answer any questions - or take any feedback, because I could be 1000% wrong, as I'm not an expert of anything, but yeah, so here's how I pop my pills.

Caveats:
    For me, probiotics and thyroid meds (or anything that has to be taken specially) have about the same kind of timing. Without food. Extra enzymes/acids will kill most of them before they get where they are going...

I typically do my thyroid meds at 5 am when I get up.

At 6 am, allergy meds, etc.
    (Recently added an AM caffeine/amino acid blend about an hour before eating - still test driving)

7-9 am - Breakfast and all am supplements, including ACV pills and digestive enzymes.

11 am probiotic

1-2:30 pm, Lunch with digestive stuffs, second dose vitamin D3/K2

3 pm - second dose T3 thyroid med

6-7 pm diatomaceous earth (kind of a cleansing/detoxing thing, so needs to be away from EVERYTHING ELSE)

8-9 pm Dinner & pm meds

10-11 pm - late night/bed time/empty stomach meds (5-htp, l-tyrosine, l-glutamine, folate, C)

I've gotten it down to a schedule, but it's not overly flexible, except a few things. Like one day recently, I got my probiotics in the mail, so I took them at 6 pm, skipped the DE for the day... If I have to bounce on anything, it is typically the probiotics and/or DE... Those are the most restricted things - and the least important in my book... The other times may slide sometimes, but the template is the same.

Ugh, so my list is ridiculous, still editing it. WIll add later.

EDITED TO ADD -- Ugh, my updated list is RIDICULOUSLY LONG, so I don't wanna spam it here unless requested - but here it is linked from my blog here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/knit-s-rules-of-pill-popping-otherwise-known-as-suggested-supplement-staggering-886604

Happy to explain the whys of anything I'm taking...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I don't take any vitamins or supplements. I do think you may need to up your electrolytes while adapting, but don't necessarily believe you must continue to keep them high after you have adapted.

While in adaptation, I could see upping sodium intake, potassium intake (use a "lite" salt), and magnesium (that usually is in pills). I doubt there's much need for more than that, especially if your diet is fresh meat centered. If you have documented deficiencies in nutrients, obviously supplement to replenish those.

This is why I take D3 and B12 (documented deficiencies). The fish oil is an attempt to raise my HDL, the mag is for muscle cramping and also migraines and I plan to ditch the probiotic once I am done my current bottle.

@nicsflyingcircus - Did you know that the fish oil helps prevent D3 toxicity? As does taking A 12 hours offset from the first dose of D3 of the day? Also, did you know that K2 helps the D3 properly absorb - otherwise it can just sit about cluttering up your arteries - and cause calcium to do the same, rather than route it into bones?!?!?!! I was shocked to learn all this, as most docs have everyone taking D3, but without the co-factors, you might as well not even take it. :(
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Being a gastric bypass patient I am on supplements for life!
    over 50, women's multivitamin
    B12 (injections)
    D3
    Calcium
    Vitamin C
    B complex
    Vitamin E

Keto supplements I haven't been able to stop because of continued leg cramps, even after 19 months:
    Magnesium citrate capsules
    Sodium chloride tablets (hate the taste of salt!)
    Potassium (2-3 times a week, not daily)

I love the fact that I take more supplements than actual prescriptions now!

@Karlottap - have you checked into Dr. Berg's lectures? He suggests that if you are not taking the co-factor K2 with the D3 that you should not take Calcium at all - or as a stand alone at night by itself. Since you mention the cramps not going away, it waved a red flag in my face, because Dr. Berg said that was one of the signs of calcium overabsorption or absorbing and misdirecting into the arteries instead of into the bones...

For D3, you need to have K2 as the bus driver, so to speak (preferred form is usually M7), then the potassium and magnesium as the bus to transport it/get it where it is going, and Boron to strengthen the cellular walls to keep it there and prevent leeching.

Additionally, he says that you need to take some sort of fish oil once or twice a day, and vitamin A 12 hours offset from that D in order to prevent toxicity of the calcium and D3 issue...

I'm wondering if you add the K2, at a minimum, and or shift the calcium to bedtime by itself (or take a test drive of stopping it just to see if you notice a difference - Dr. Berg says that most folks consume enough calcium, we just don't have the D3 and K2 to properly absorb and route it, so it shows as a continued deficiency, even though we really have enough)... Oh, and this article explains the need for the boron more, too... http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

So, sorry, just thinking aloud with the calcium as a possible contributor to the ongoing cramp issues...
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Three! I don't supplement either.

Four of us. B)
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

Edited to add: Just like Karlotta - when people gasp at the number of supplements I take I remind them that I'd triple the amount of supplements if it means never taking drugs again for depression, hypertension, ulcers, joint and back pain, anxiety, chest pain, oh...and let us not forget the CPAP machine I got to give back to the pharmacy permanently!!

Ironically, a few years ago, while I was still working, I took 2 pills a day; my Synthroid in the morning, and my Ativan at night. I took the Ativan for years, and never increased my dose from 1 mg. Since I stopped taking it, I now take about 50 pills a day. Hate to say it, but I was way healthier on the Ativan because I slept and my body was able to heal itself. My thyroid wan't working all that well, but again -- sleep overcomes many ills. My weight was always under control nicely.

My doctor asked me to stop taking the Ativan for the sake of my health, so I did -- without much trouble -- and shortly after I became a raging insomniac with wonky cortisol, night time sweats, and a host of other nasty symptoms that I had to start treating.

This being being healthy sure feels suspiciously like being ill. :D