Great benefit from doing low carb

Options
Bubba1922
Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
My black moods have gone and my state of mind has greatly improved. I tend to worry about things over which I have no control whatsoever, always imagining the worst scenario. Since being on less than 40 grs a day, I feel much better, much more positive. My only side effect is that I do not sleep as well as before. I used to be a heavy carb consumer, bread or pasta at each meal and always hungry - now the hunger is gone. . Also losing 2 lbs a week is such a bonus when you have 40 to lose. Wished I had known about low carb years ago.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Glad it is going well. :) Except for the sleep.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have found just the opposite. I take 200-250mg of magnesium at bedtime and really feel it helps me fall asleep. Watch out for vivid dreams!!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have found the same thing, it just crossed my mind last night. Really minimal mood swings and my heartburn is gone! I didn't take any meds this week. That's a first.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @supergal3, I sleep much better generally, too. I was taking a prescribed anti-anxiety med for sleep for years due to insomnia. I've been tapering off of it and have nights when I fall asleep without even taking it.

@merflan, ditto on the heartburn. I had GERD and was taking one med regularly and sometimes a second would be added. I haven't taken anything for weeks now. I drink ACV each evening, too.

I keep running into new ways I feel better on this WOE and I haven't found one where I feel worse (once I got past keto flu, lol).
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Guess I'm weird. I fall asleep within 30 seconds of hitting the pillow, sleep 5 hours and wake up ready for the day, with no alarm clock. Been that way my whole life. LCHF didn't impact my sleep at all.
  • Granchick
    Granchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My arthritis pain is gone. No heartburn. Less Anxiety and lots More energy. Not as cranky with a better attitude. As I continue on this journey I know the day will come when I can trash the blood pressure pills too.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Granchick wrote: »
    My arthritis pain is gone. No heartburn. Less Anxiety and lots More energy. Not as cranky with a better attitude. As I continue on this journey I know the day will come when I can trash the blood pressure pills too.

Yes, indeed with respect to blood pressure. I was taking a very low dosage BP med without any noticeable improvements before going LC and was determined not to step up the prescription strength. I'm completely off BP medication now and my most recent reading on our home cuff: 117 over 75. To be sure, hanging up my cocktail shaker no doubt helped as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Granchick my blood pressure kept creeping up as I gained weight. I finally decided BP meds were needed so started taking them but also decided to lose my excess weight and get some regular moderate exercise. Lost my excess 60 and the meds. My slim husband was on BP meds for years. Started walking regularly and is now off his meds. I know that doesn't work for everyone but we both though we were destined to high BP because of family history. I guess we were guessed wrong.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am SO looking forward to the day I can ditch the BP meds (and cholesterol meds). Maybe another 30 or 40 pounds will do it. At least I was able to get rid of the diabetes meds after just a few days of LCHF.