What to say to doctors?

Options
2»

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I believe in not misleading my doctor. If they don't know the truth, how could they ever hope to accurately help me?

My doctor was not thrilled with the meat-only thing. She also wasn't thrilled with my coffee consumption amounts. But, I am not seeking her approval. She gave me a huge packet of information about eating "healthy," and I took it without intending to actually follow it.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I believe in not misleading my doctor. If they don't know the truth, how could they ever hope to accurately help me?

My doctor was not thrilled with the meat-only thing. She also wasn't thrilled with my coffee consumption amounts. But, I am not seeking her approval. She gave me a huge packet of information about eating "healthy," and I took it without intending to actually follow it.

That's what I do when the Mormons are in the neighborhood, in order to lighten their backpacks.

But if she thinks you're following her sage pamphlets' advice... not misleading?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

This. So much this. When I decide to have my next doc appointment, I hope my results are such that I can help change medical "opinion" 1 Doc at a time. Seems many of you are already succeeding with that. Thanks!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have a check-up on friday. Im curious what I should say if the topic of my diet comes up. Should I just be vague and say "im watching what i eat"? or should I actually tell them im doing keto?
    I would have no idea how to respond if the doctor has a negative opinion of HFLC diets. (its a new doctor for me)
    Have any of you run into a doctor who had a problem with your WOE? What did you tell them? or did you just nod and smile? lol

This was the route I took last Monday with a new doctor. It turned out she viewed LCHF more a a good way to lose weight than a long term WOE but said it was working well for me based on my lab numbers so keep doing it.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Honestly? I'd lay it on them just to see how they react. MD's are not nutrition experts, and it is doubtful they stay up to date on the leading nutrition research. So if my medical doctor starts giving me a nutritional lesson, I don't return. Simple as that. A good medical doctor would ask questions that reveal if you have researched the topic thoroughly and perhaps share some insight on things that they may have read or experienced. But they aren't really qualified to give nutritional advice unless you are seeing one with a dual PHD, etc.

I've set up my doctors for many pitfalls like this. I once purposefully wore a pair of flip flops to see my Chiro just to see if he would lecture me....you be he did, and that among many other reasons is why I continue to pay him out of pocket.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Honestly? I'd lay it on them just to see how they react. MD's are not nutrition experts, and it is doubtful they stay up to date on the leading nutrition research. So if my medical doctor starts giving me a nutritional lesson, I don't return. Simple as that. A good medical doctor would ask questions that reveal if you have researched the topic thoroughly and perhaps share some insight on things that they may have read or experienced. But they aren't really qualified to give nutritional advice unless you are seeing one with a dual PHD, etc.

I've set up my doctors for many pitfalls like this. I once purposefully wore a pair of flip flops to see my Chiro just to see if he would lecture me....you be he did, and that among many other reasons is why I continue to pay him out of pocket.

Hey some wade in from the shallow end of the pool and other the other end. :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

That's what I do when the Mormons are in the neighborhood, in order to lighten their backpacks.

But if she thinks you're following her sage pamphlets' advice... not misleading?

I did tell her that I would read it but likely wouldn't change my diet. She said there might be something in there that I felt comfortable incorporating into my current way of eating. She couldn't argue with the bloodwork and results, so there wasn't much need for me to seek a change. I didn't pretend that I would follow it. I actually made it very clear that there was some stuff it recommended (high fiber) which I wouldn't even consider trying again.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    MD's are not nutrition experts, and it is doubtful they stay up to date on the leading nutrition research.

I'm beginning to wonder if many M.D.'s are even MEDICAL experts, based on the experiences my partner and I have had over the past few years.