What should I ask for to find a personal trainer that "gets" EM2WL? From a skinny fat fitness gal

Options
Thank you all who welcomed me! I am seriously wanting to be successful with the "eating more" philosophy, as my TDEE without exercise is only about 1400. I really want to increase that, as it is not a lot of food. As you all probably saw from earlier posts, I have been a fitness fanatic for 20+ years and really only have about 6 pounds to get to my goal weight. I am one of those who has been a cardio-bunny for years. I am 5' 6", 130 pounds (used to be 124 for years), and have always done plenty of cardio (4-5 x a week 30-40 min each time) and very light weight training (2 x a week, 30 min). IF I am going to improve on my strength training (see #1 below), I feel like FOR ME, the best first step is to get a personal trainer to get me started. Then I think I can take it from there and be successful with that part of the equation.

Questions:

1. Is there room for improvement with the strength-training regime or should this be enough to get me where I am supposed to be (and maybe I'm already there and just need to accept it)

AND

2. Since I know the 'basics' of fitness and have a good general understanding, I don't want a PT who is going to tell me more of what I already know. What can I ask and look for to find someone who 'gets' the whole EM2WL philosophy? Is this pretty common in the fitness industry or am I going to be seeking out someone difficult to find? Also, what if I find a trainer, get started with them, and realize they really are a little "basic" for me?? Thoughts?? I certainly would appreciate it...............I want to find the right person!

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    First of all, there's always room for improvement. Since you are coming from a cardio background and I am sure you don't have much fat to lose, once you start a good periodized program, you will see a lot of improvement. Besides strenght, you will see a different shape and tonus on your body. Actually everyone wants to be "toned", but you cannot tone what isn't there, you need to build the muscle first.

Second, hiring a trainer is up to you and if it is part of your plan and will help you achieve your goals, it's always a great idea. If the trainer tells you that you need light weights and high repetitions to lose your 6 lbs, RUN. Also, if your trainer tells you to eat anything less than your TDEE minus a slight cut, forget about it. The old dieting mentality will say you need to eat less and move more, but you can tell by your own experience that it does not work.

I've seen plenty of up to date trainers applying the EM2WL principles and their clients are achieving excellent results. But at the same time, there are still many trainers pushing their clients to eat less and workout more and making them spin their wheels. Now that you know moew about this process, ask them questions, see what they say. Look for someone who makes you feel confortable and guves you confidence.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for someone to set you on a plan? Or, someone to help make sure you are using the correct form?
  • misskitty0816
    misskitty0816 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, friends! Thank you, Tereza for your comments................I definitely don't want one who is going to tell me to eat less and move more! FOR SURE..............that is the last thing I need. Wasn't sure on the weights, so THANK YOU for being specific on what NOT to look for. I just feel bad meeting with one thinking I have wasted their time if it turns out their 'style' and approach is not what I need. I guess I need to just get over that! :smile: Sarah, I think I need BOTH.....................the motivation is there, so it's not so much to keep me going, just to get me started so I know what to do in the first place. I am hoping I can find just the right person :)
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Most gyms, or trainers, will be willing to have a consult before committing!

Em2wl has some great plans to follow if you want to work out on your own. But a trainer, or even a knowledgable friend can show you how to have proper form and that's a very good thing. I had nothing like that in my life so I taught myself. I watched lots of videos, practiced with my body weight, looked in the mirror, took videos of myself,etc.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @misskitty0816, as @saranharm said, EM2WL has great workouts and lifting programmes for any fitness level, even free ones: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/beginner-strength-training-instant/, http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/workouts/, http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/shop/ and also offers online coaching.

The reality is that, considering the diet industry and diet mentality that most have (and we used to have as well), unless you know what really is going on, you would quit before even starting if a trainer told you that you would have to eat more, not lose weight right away and that results would take longer to happen (not in a few weeks). Many trainers know that this is how it goes and that's the way to train to achieve results for life, but the average gym goer will not even imagine that that's what actually works and will definitely dismiss a personal trainer who does not tell them what they want to hear. So they end up giving in and saying what the client want to hear.

When I started my journey I still didn't know what I know now. The first trainer I met offered me the basics and sort of told me to eat more protein and lift and do less cardio, but looking back I can tell that he knew more, but I wasn't ready to listen. I didn't stick with his training sessions, it was at a popular gym and the contract was way beyond my budget (very important thing to consider), so I bought some books and went in my own, just like @saranharm did. In the end, I decided to become a trainer myself and got certified. I worked by myself for a while and over one year ago started working with an EM2WL trainer to learn more and reach farther.

The good thing of being part of the EM2WL team, is that as EM2WL coaches, we know that we don't have to say what the client wants to hear, but actually what is best and really works.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @misskitty0816 don't be afraid to "interview" the trainer. I am a massage therapist and I encourage my clients to visit with the person that they maybe working with. I love it when a potential client asks about my qualifications and how I work. It shows me that they are serious about their health needs. If their technique doesn't work for you, move on to the next person. One size does not fit all.
  • misskitty0816
    misskitty0816 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am absorbing all of this and it makes a lot of sense. And I definitely DON'T want a trainer who is just going to tell me what I want to hear - and know that a lot of people DO want that kind of person whether it's a trainer, or anything else they are doing in life. I will look at some of the links shared, too...............I do have a fitness background, it's just from 20 years ago................I don't trust myself to be knowledgeable at what's new, but I am capable of learning quickly, I guess I don't give myself enough credit! I am going to check out what you all shared, and think about whether or not to pursue getting some outside help. And thanks for that tidbit, @beverlyriley900 . I definitely didn't want to waste somebody's time :)