Takeaways and Search Function

Options
Jo2926
Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
I am sure this question has been asked before - so I appologise, but I cannot find a group search function (please tell me where it is if I'm being stupid!)

My question is about what to eat from a takeaway. I've been really good up to now, and prepared all my meals at home so I was in control. But today I have no choice. I am starving, on a train, and my only options the other side are grabbing something from ether McDonalds/Burger King/Starbucks etc. Any relatively safe options? I'm already annoyed with myself so no need to tell me to plan better next time - I'm feeling this lesson painfully!!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10452011/low-carb-dining-out#latest

ETA: also google Keto and Fast Food. Many suggestions will come up.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can't search the group's with mfp search it only works on the main forums. If our group wasn't private it would be searchable via Google but sadly it is not
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,472 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When fast food of that sort is my only option I usually get a double burger with one slice of cheese and no bun and just salt and mustard and heavily and I'm good to go. Depending on the place that could be anywhere between about 220 and 550 calories. Usually great fat and protein and low carb. I just eat it with a fork and knife but if you prefer a handheld option most places will wrap it in lettuce.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with @nicsflyingcircus
  • Jo2926
    Options
    Thanks everyone. In the end I powered through with a bottle of water and just arrived home to the smell of husband cooking a lamb roast for me! I need to do more research for next time though. (I was going to bunless burger but local macdonalds was packed and couldnt face explaining!!) Thanks for all the ideas though (and the link which included 5 guys and really made me hungry for that one!!)
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In mcdonalds I don't bother asking for a bunless burger, just grab a double cheeseburger or hamburger and eat the patty right out from inside the bun! It's quite easy when you've got the technique! And stops you feeling odd. You can also ask for a salad bowl and stick the contents of your burger on top. Then you get cutlery!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    At my local fast food places they gladly do any burger without a bun and put it in a bowl super easy no questions asked I think they are used to it
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    moonlights wrote: »
    In mcdonalds I don't bother asking for a bunless burger, just grab a double cheeseburger or hamburger and eat the patty right out from inside the bun! It's quite easy when you've got the technique! And stops you feeling odd. You can also ask for a salad bowl and stick the contents of your burger on top. Then you get cutlery!

Asking for a bunless burger isn't odd. They put it on a little plastic platter with a clear snap on lid and give you *gasp* cutlery. No questions asked. Strange but true. Then I'm not throwing the bun away. While I may not care to eat it, tossing it is a waste.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Chuckling to myself about myself and my varying choice/s.

When in my "save the environment" mood, I'd much rather throw away a bun than add another plastic plate and piece/s of plastic cutlery to the dump.

When in my "starving children in the world" mood, I'll order my burger bun-less hoping there will then be "dated" buns leftover that will hopefully be donated to a local food bank.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Chuckling to myself about myself and my varying choice/s.

When in my "save the environment" mood, I'd much rather throw away a bun than add another plastic plate and piece/s of plastic cutlery to the dump.

When in my "starving children in the world" mood, I'll order my burger bun-less hoping there will then be "dated" buns leftover that will hopefully be donated to a local food bank.

I wash and reuse the plastic containers and cutlery. Then once they are worn they go off to the recycle bin or to my brother in law to melt down and make his own plastic things lol. What sucks about taking the bun off is half the cheese sticks to it and I love cheese :( but if you do go that route you can save the bun and feed it to the squirrels
  • kpk54
    Options
    Lol. That's what is cool about this world and the people in it. We're all different. One of the last common critters I would choose to feed is a doggone squirrel. I wouldn't hurt one and will even safely swerve to miss one in the road but feed one? Heck no! Perhaps thougm, your suggestion will be favorable to someone else...many miles away from me. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love squirrels! I make mine peanut butter sandwiches a couple times a week.
    I have had one that would come take food from my hand and sit with me eating her sandwich. :smile:
    I know it was female because she had babies in our shed every year and I would always have to relocate the nest to get to things we needed for spring yard work.
    Then I got to watch her take little sandwiches to the babies too.

I actually have a sticker on my car with a squirrel in a heart! Lol
  • kpk54
    Options
    Cool beans @Sunny_Bunny_ . Keep them happy and healthy in OH. :)
  • Jo2926
    Options

Asking for a bunless burger isn't odd. They put it on a little plastic platter with a clear snap on lid and give you *gasp* cutlery. No questions asked. Strange but true. Then I'm not throwing the bun away. While I may not care to eat it, tossing it is a waste.

Are you in the UK? Certainly round my way it would be odd!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I love squirrels! I make mine peanut butter sandwiches a couple times a week.
    I have had one that would come take food from my hand and sit with me eating her sandwich. :smile:
    I know it was female because she had babies in our shed every year and I would always have to relocate the nest to get to things we needed for spring yard work.
    Then I got to watch her take little sandwiches to the babies too.

I actually have a sticker on my car with a squirrel in a heart! Lol
    I

I do the same thing!! Back in another state, I trained them to tap on my sliding door for peanuts from my hand. I think they are really cute and hoping by feeding them they don't eat the shingles on my roof. LOL

• nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Jo2926 wrote: »

Are you in the UK? Certainly round my way it would be odd!

Ah, nope. Cultural differences :wink:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    No, no, no! Don't order bunless burgers! Order the meat and cheese a la carte. A plain bunless 1/4 pounder with cheese is like $5. A 1/4 pound patty with two slices of cheese a la carte is around $2.25 (less than half). It takes a bit more courage to order it and sometimes the person needs helping ringing it up right, but it's worth it. Especially for me, because I usually want 4-5 patties and nothing else. Buying that as bunless burgers would kill my wallet.
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I wish this were the case but in the UK asking for a bunless burger at a standard fast food chain causes huge confusion - believe me, I've tried. At larger McDonald's they might give you the patties in a cardboard box if you take some time explaining and let them look at you like you're crazy, but at a busy train station? No way. They just either don't have a procedure for it or it isn't widely known - which surprises me tbh but there you go.

However some of the more upmarket chains - 5 guys, Byron, GBK have bunless burgers as a menu option.

Given the amount of food McDonald's toss out I don't really feel my single bun once every 2 weeks or so is too wasteful - I know a lot of people who eat things that are harmful to them as they've been raised not to waste anything. I'd also rather toss a bun than a plastic bowl - but! If you're eating on the go there are always hungry birds who will take care of that bun x
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Not at mine. I very clearly said "no bun" 3 times.
    I ended up with a burger on a bun. But no condiments. So I give up and just order it normal and keep the bun to use at home or to feed the goats.

You can't fix stupid...not here anyway.
    I'm lucky they remember to actually put something on the bun. :smirk:
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Lol. That's what is cool about this world and the people in it. We're all different. One of the last common critters I would choose to feed is a doggone squirrel. I wouldn't hurt one and will even safely swerve to miss one in the road but feed one? Heck no! Perhaps thougm, your suggestion will be favorable to someone else...many miles away from me. :)

I like squirrels, but I'd feed my bun to Koujo and Benji, our pet raccoons....or to one of my 5 dogs...or to the pig- which is probably the smartest since everything I give the pig eventually gives back to us when we slaughter and process it.