nausea

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
edited September 2016 in Social Groups
Can the "flu" symptoms come and go? I felt great last week, especially this past weekend, but today am really nauseous. Trying not to give in and have some crackers. I'm not sure if this is diet related, or am I getting a bug :neutral:

Also wondering if I have a drink on weekend, or eat higher carb on weekend, am I likely to go back to the beginning and feeling "fluey" ?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My answer? Yes. My short 5 months of experience? Yes. I've never let myself get "ill" from not having proper electrolyte balance but have learned my 1st symptom/s which for me tends to be a little "clamminess" so I'll make my "go to" which is chicken boullion with added salt.

My way is probably not the "best way" but it seems ok for me. I still don't like sucking down a bunch of salt but when I need it, I recognize it quickly. Many will say it is best to keep your sodium level up on-goingly because by the time you start feeling "ill" you're already losing magnesium/potassium.
  • merflan
    Options
    Ok thanks that's helpful. I thought once I got over the initial week, all would be good. I misunderstood. Thanks
  • merflan
    Options
    Thanks I just reviewed. Getting enough magnesium for sure because I take a supplement, but I wonder if I should start having some broth every morning to start my day? Doesn't anyone find taking that sodium keeps them retaining water, or do you still manage to lose despite it?
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's a continual thing. I don't need to keep my sodium level up anymore either, but as soon as I feel a headache I'll have some bouillon or a pickle (some people drink pickle juice straight out of the jar *blech*!) It's like magic :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    merflan wrote: »
    Thanks I just reviewed. Getting enough magnesium for sure because I take a supplement, but I wonder if I should start having some broth every morning to start my day? Doesn't anyone find taking that sodium keeps them retaining water, or do you still manage to lose despite it?

That doesn't necessarily mean you're getting enough. But leg and/or foot cramps are a clue to magnesium deficiency. Just FYI

The very reason you NEED the sodium is so you CAN retain water. The symptoms you're having come from the water/sodium balance being off. Do you happen to notice you're going to pee fairly often? You're losing too much water. And sodium too. It seems strange but you can actually be dehydrated while drinking hundreds of ounces of water a day if you don't have enough sodium to retain any.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I get nausea off and on, too. Part of it is if the plumbing is getting blocked up. Since I don't "go" like I did when eating all those carbs, I need to take action a couple times per week to keep things moving.

Also, I made a 1:1 mix of table salt and lite salt (which has potassium). I mix half a teaspoon of this in water or in my ACV one to two times a day. That helps a lot, too.

Between the two, the nausea is much better.