Eating Healthy Working 12 Hour Shifts

Options
Hello Fellow RNs,

I was wondering what your meals look like on the days you work. It's not always an option to have a set meal time when working on the unit. I tend to do well about breakfast and lunch options. But when I get home for dinner, it's usually after 8 pm. I generally am in bed between 9:30 PM and 10 PM. I'm so so hungry when I get off work and I prefer to eat a real meal though I'm thinking it might be better to have a protein shake.

Here's what a typical meal plan for a work day looks like:

Breakfast at 0600: blend protein shake before heading to work (Quest protein powder and almond milk goes great together).

Morning snack between 0900-1000: Quest protein bar

Lunch (1200-1500): Frozen dinner light entree, side salad with 1 tbsp dressing and cup of fit & active greek yogurt. If I decide on hospital food, I choose a lean protein with lots of veggies for the sides.

Afternoon Snack (1600-1800): 100 calorie pack of nuts and/or 1 piece of dove dark chocolate. I don't drink soda pop so dove dark chocolate is my caffeine boost

Dinner: Often around or after 2000: Need ideas here. I've tried protein shakes with greek yogurt and fruit but I'm often craving a real meal.

Also drinking enough water is a challenge, especially on my busy days. I manage to get in around 60 oz of water minimum but I like to do at least 80 oz, esp since I'm on my feet constantly. I generally get in between 9,000 to 10,000 steps daily and am an advocate for taking the stairs.

Replies

• cinfinrn
    cinfinrn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you do a great job with your choices all day. I am always starving after my shift, too, and prefer a real meal. I'm always an advocate for real food! Try stuff you can cook quickly, like baked salmon, brown rice and broccoli. Also, taking some time on an off day to do meal prep is helpful. If you are like me, if it's not going to be quick, I will end up making bad choices or opting for a shake, etc.

Good luck!
  • Jensan03
    Jensan03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you should ramp up your lunch and go smaller at dinner.... So what I do is meal prep at the beginning of the week usually on Sundays and I cook a bunch of chicken and beef and stuff like that and I portion size and then I have prepaid pre-made meals and I eat my big meal in the afternoon and that way and I have a snack in the evening while I'm still at work and then by the time I get home I too am hungry still so that I have some yogurt or I have something light when I get home but then I'm not going to bed on a a big heavy stomach and it seems to work for the most part I seem to be pretty satisfied every now and then I'll be like starving but for the most part it seems to work.