Living the Lifestyle - Thursday 9/8/16

Options
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Topic: Good LTL reading

Question: What books, articles, blogs, etc. have been helpful to you as you lost weight, or are losing weight, or are maintaining? Why?

Alternate question: What good books have you read lately?

Replies

• 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love Cooking Light magazine. Great seasonal recipes and articles about all kinds of things related to health. I don't care for their website however, it's a combination of their publishers different magazines, so for example, when you search, you'll get more than just Cooking Light recipes. This sounds like a good thing, but when I'm looking for a pared down version of something and I get the fully loaded, calorie laden version that looks delicious, it's a challenge!

Currently, I am reading the Inspector Morse series by Colin Dexter in order. I realized as I watched the last PBS episode of Inspector Lewis that I couldn't remember if I'd ever read the first Inspector Morse book. It's going to be interesting to see how the character morphs into the one "as seen on TV" and if any inkling of Endeavor is to be found.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    Options
    I try to read some of the MFP articles, but many of them are irrelevant. I do look at the recipie listings on the Hello Healthy section. It links to all sorts of recipes from many sources. I debate getting Cooking Light on and off.

I am working my way through the Kurt Wallander series by Henning Mankell in order. After watching the final episode I decided to start. Next up is the Morse series. The Morse/Lewis and Wallander PBS series were some of my favorites.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I loved Wallander! The final book is a little of a downer, especially if you're getting up there in years yourself, but the characters are great. Something about those Netherland countries writers - they are very absorbing. If you like that genre, Jo Nesbo and Asa Larsson are really good too. Jo Nesbo especially (the Harry Hole series is one of my favorites).
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl and Simple Nourished Living - Skinny Weight Watchers Friendly Cooking & Living (on FB) have good recipe ideas.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I did not rely on any of those specific tools for weight loss or now during maintenance. But when I run into a blog or article regarding health/food I typically will read them and find most often they validate the approach of WW for the most part.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is one of my favorites. I love her recipes. Yoni Freedhoff's blog is insightful.

I just finished After You. It was good. Just wish I'd read Me Before You first LOL. Just starting The Rosie Project.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    I find the articles at SparkPeople to be concise and informative.

Mindless Eating is one of the most important books I've read relative to LTL.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I enjoy Yoni Freedhoff's blog and I loved the Rosie Project!

I read a lot of blogs. Some of my other health or weight loss related favorites are Losing Anonymously, Roni Noone, Runs for Cookies, The Sassy Pear, The Weigh We Were, Running off the Reeses, and Stop Hating Your Body. I find that they're a quick way to stay mindful of my goals. Plus a lot of the bloggers I read deal with similar struggles than I do so it's nice to feel that sense of community.

For regular books, I just picked up The Tumbling Turner Sisters and am enjoying it a lot. I love historical fiction and am always on the lookout for new finds.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I must admit I've done almost no weight loss reading since Day 1, with the exception of GOAD and intermittent checking of a few other boards, including some on MFP since we transitioned over here.

I haven't read many books recently (well, maybe any). My 'focus' is on photography forums and when I have free time, that's primarily what I read. Having been approached recently about licensing some of my pictures, most of my reading has been about copyright and picture licensing. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but could be nice to make a little money selling rights to few pictures.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for some great ideas, both WL and other. One thing that I look forward to in the fall and winter is having more time to read. :)

I am going to restart the Beck Diet solution. Got to day nine earlier this year, and put it away, but what I did read and the exercises I did make me want to go back and finish the book.

I've been reading Elizabeth George (Thomas Lynley) sequentially, and am enjoying her books.
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Judith Beck's Diet Solution

Pelican Road a novel by Howard Bahr
    A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage a novel by Marly Youmans
    The Burning Room ( Harry Bosch mystery series) Michael Connelly

Tim

• beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    One of the most helpful books I've ever read was "The K.I.S.S. Guide to Weight Loss".

Currently I'm reading Quarterback Sneak.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I enjoy Yoni Freedhoff's blog and I loved the Rosie Project!

Good to hear! I'm struggling to get into it but not very far at all. Actually picked up an easy read but just finished that this morning so I'll have to pick up Rosie and give it a serious try :)

I love to read in the summer (my other commitments/volunteer work slack off so I have more time. Especially love to sit outside with a good book, but it's been oppressively humid lately! Hopefully breaking soon so the pup and I can get back out.

And I love Beck! It was really helpful! We should work through it together sometime @MICHGOLFER2
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Murple's recommendation "Shrink Yourself" I've never read a book about food or dieting and this one deals with emotional eating. I only just started but he has some interesting things to say that I think I can apply to myself.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    Options
    Thanks again - I'm taking notes for my reading list!
  • MICHGOLFER2
    Options
    @Flintwinch - I am enjoying the Harry Bosch series as well.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    @Flintwinch - I am enjoying the Harry Bosch series as well.

Michael Connelly is my favorite.

The Bosch TV series on Amazon is very well done. Connelly maintains strong control over the production (as he did with the Lincoln Lawyer movie), and it shows. Currently in production for its 3rd season.