Im new and have no idea what im doing

Options
dejavuohlala
dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
My Name is Carol from UK.

I am in my senior years. that's sounds better than saying I'm old!!!

I have been in a Plataea for 6 months and have had a 1200 daily calorie consumption for 3 years.

I've been on MFP for 3 years. I have lost 50lbs but during a time It was suggested I eat more I gained 4lb and only managed to get rid of 2lb of that 4lb gain.

I work three days a week office/desk job. I consider myself light activity, I sue a static bike daily most days 30 minutes, so9metiem 15-20 minutes. take at least 6000 steps a day sometimes 8000 plus.

Looking for a way to move this Plataea. One of the ladies on here as kindly worked out my TDEE.
Thank you for reading Carol

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hey Carol, welcome to the group!
    Your starting point should be here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430416/welcome-to-em2wl-start-here#latest
    This is a our Start Here list of wonderful things to get you going and have an understanding of what we are all about. Take some time and read up on the thread and hopefully after that we can help you out a bit more and get you started:)

We are here to answer any questions for you and guide you along the way. Start with the reading and we can go from there!

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Thank you Kelly for your welcome. I'm finding it mind blowing at the moment especially the concept of eating more 2 weigh less!! But I'm
    Sure you all felt like that at some stage.
    Thank you carol
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Hi if you can see anything in my food diary that I could change- one thing at a time- pleased do let me know

Carol
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello Carol! First welcome to EM2WL!
    Everything will seem overwhelming, exhausting and unexpected in the beginning. You are coming from three years on under-eating, 1200 calories is for toddlers (or cats ;) ), not for active grown-ups. One of the reasons that you are on a plateau, even though you are only eating 1200 is that in the weight loss process your body got rid not only of fat, but of lean mass (muscle, bone tissue and others). Then it adapted to you calorie level and started running as efficiently as it could with the fuel you are giving, which mean, burning less calories.

The best way to get it back on track is a metabolism reset, which means increasing your calories gradually until you reach TDEE http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/. Will that be hard, yes, but will it be worth it, definitely! http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/

Eat More 2 Weigh Less is a lifestyle focused on eating the proper amount of calories or using a small deficit to lose weight. We encourage focusing on protein intake (which most of us don't eat enough before getting here) and strength training (which is what will help transform your body). We do not recommend restricting foods (unless you have health or religious concerns) and making your diet work for you, with foods you like. This is a journey for life, not a quick fix.

A @Raynn1 wisely recommend above, go through the Start Here thread. Read, reflect and slowly apply it to your life. Don't try to change everything at once, focus on one change at a time. I would say that increasing your calories would be the first one. I understand the fear of gaining numbers on the scale ( we all fear that at one point or another), but that's the only way to change and get out of this plateau.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Thank you so much Tereza. I have just tried to download the free guide for the second time but it says its on its way but has not arrived, is there an issue with the system?

I have got some resistance bands so going to start using those very slowly.
    I'm keen to make some small changes to my food diary too, although I believe it to be very healthy obviously I am not doing this right. I welcome all the input and will gradually make the changes, if you can keep an on my diary and advise that would be great

thank you so much Carol
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Check your inbox. Maybe it went to the junk mail?
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Just had to let you ladies know.
    When I had cottage cheese years ago I hated it and never touched it since. But since being on here I have been given suggestion and I just had cottage cheese and melon and grape medley for lunch oh it was so yummy. That has given me a fresh idea to take to work as that is a grabbed rushed affair with little time. Thank you EM2WL ladies I appreciate all the tips please keep them coming. Now another question:
    When doing a reset of metabolism I am seeingpeoequotingvariousnber like TDEE, decreasing and defecit? What are these numbers and how should i record what I am doing daily since yesterday, that wasn't start day. Thanks ladies
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Tdee is the total amount of calories, exercise included. Also called maintenance.

A reset is when, over time, you raise your body's amount of calories up to estimated tdee.

A deficit is usually after a cut. It is a small amount of time (never more than 12 straight weeks) where you decrease your calories by 10-15%. In between cuts you eat at maintenance so your body doesn't adapt to lower calories. A deficit is used to slow fat slowly while retaining muscle mass.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Tdee is the total amount of calories, exercise included. Also called maintenance.

A reset is when, over time, you raise your body's amount of calories up to estimated tdee.

A deficit is usually after a cut. It is a small amount of time (never more than 12 straight weeks) where you decrease your calories by 10-15%. In between cuts you eat at maintenance so your body doesn't adapt to lower calories. A deficit is used to slow fat slowly while retaining muscle mass.

Thank you Saranharm,
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Well today I thought I did really well with my protein but it seems I am still miles away on my macros. Any suggestion help please
    Thank you
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Just focus on the protein for now. Once that becomes habit you can focus on the others. But a lot of people get there protein high and the rest usually fall into place overtime.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Ok Saranharm, I suppose the final of 28% wasn't as bad as I thought

• brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I was living on too few calories for several years. When I started to increase my intake, I had started lifting weights a week before. That made a difference. I have increased my calories from 1300-1400 to 2000. My weight has not changed since I started.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Thank you Beverleyriley900
    I am not able lifts weights as such but have started using resistance bands, so far upper body.
    I just find this process all very complicated and difficult to get my head around the concept but it is a very interesting concept. It's good to hear what others are doing so thank you for that. Have a good day.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Is the book available in hard copy please??
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    I put my stats in the free calculator and it said 1350 is this correct.

I used the following
    12.10lbs
    age 69
    height 5.6
    sedentary.

want to lose another 21lbs
  • TerezaToledo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What is the weight in lbs you put in the calculator again? If you are already doing some sort of activity, you are not sedentary anymore, choose at least moderate level.
    The EM2WL books are ebooks, but you can definitely print them at home.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    What is the weight in lbs you put in the calculator again?

178lbs Tereza
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    The BMR (lowest number the calculator gives you) is the minimum amount of calories you would need just to breath if you were in a coma. You don't want to eat only that.

So you need to be eating at your TDEE to maintain your weight, a little less to lose weight. In a reset you would increase your calories slowly until reaching the TDEE, spend time eating at tha level and only then cutting down by 10% to lose weight.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    dejavuohlala, I have been working my way up to 2200 calories a day from 500 - 800 a day for over a year. Some days I make it and some days I don't. I am hoping to be consistent at that level by Christmas. :smiley: I have a connective tissue disorder that doesn't allow me to lift heavy, so I lift light. :smile: I'm talking 4 lbs light. It still has made a huge difference in my life. I also have LOTS of allergies and kidney disease, so food choices can also be daunting, but it's a long way from impossible.

I've found in the last year that a lot of this process is mental. I've fought with myself over so much this past year. First was eating at all. It was so hard to go from eating once a day to three times, to five times a day. I still fight with this much more than I care to admit to. I do better when I can eat five tiny meals a day, but I just get so sick of eating when I do. One of my biggest fights was with the idea that because I was overweight, I didn't deserve to eat. I'm not going to lie to you and say that I don't still feel guilty for eating sometimes, but it's not as bad as it was at first.

I still struggle a LOT, but everyone here is so supportive and understanding that it makes the whole process so much easier than if I were to go it alone.

Welcome to the "family" and best wishes for a healthier you!