Anyone with odd flexibility?

Options
So, my legs are just odd... I can do the full lotus (that is me in the photo, just in costume), I can do the butterfly pose and rest my knees on the floor without even trying and can touch my toes to my forehead as long as my feet are not too close to me.

However, if you ask me to straighten my legs for a simple open-legged stretch (I am not super learned on the yoga names) I have no flexibility. Straightening my legs makes me less flexible than your everyday person, even those who don't work out. It's almost like something in my leg is strung up wrong (maybe another reason why I have knee problems).

Anyone else with weird quirks like that? Yoga is great at finding those out for you, hehe.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    So you have open hips but tight hamstrings? I've had some guys in my classes that are like that.

I'm pretty much bendy all over, except my neck and my ankles.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, eventually the straight leg stretches came to me though!
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    It's not really my hamstrings, it's a muscle or maybe a tendon on the inside of my thighs. I can do straight legged stretches if they are in front of me. It's when you have to open your legs wide I have no flexibility.

This is the one that kicks my butt:

http://ardenhotyoga.com/uploads/Dandayamana_-_Bibhaktapada_-_Paschimottanasana.jpg

Even sitting down, that is about as wide as my legs will open, no further. I can't touch my head to the ground either, no where close, but that is the back of my thighs holding me back more when I'm standing. Some days they are more flexible than others, probably because I do bike a bit. I should stretch more after.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That would be your adductors. And I was like that before too. Probably 2 years ago, I couldn't do a straddle past about 90 degrees, but now I'd guess it's probably something like 150 degrees? It just takes patience and consistency. :) I'm still making progress with it.
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    That is good to hear! Of course it's probably true for all yoga poses. I don't have any health issues that I know of that would make any completely impossible... unless there is a pose where you balance only on your knee caps. it would not surprise me if there was one.
  • agdyl
    Options
    That is good to hear! Of course it's probably true for all yoga poses. I don't have any health issues that I know of that would make any completely impossible... unless there is a pose where you balance only on your knee caps. it would not surprise me if there was one.

Hah - I'm sure there is. I can think of one where you do an arm balance on your elbows only, so there must be. Heh.

Horse is kind of like that, but only on one kneecap. You're basically kneeling on one leg and the other is in half lotus with the point of the knee on the ground.

http://www.absolutelyashtanga.com/sitebuilder/images/Sacramento_Ashtanga_Yoga1-255x285.jpg

And now that I think of it I remember seeing pictures of being in full lotus and balanced on the knees. I can't remember what that's called though. But that's probably not happening for me either! Haha.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

And now that I think of it I remember seeing pictures of being in full lotus and balanced on the knees. I can't remember what that's called though. But that's probably not happening for me either! Haha.

Goraksasana:
    http://www.katsaksyoga.com/2010/06/10/enjoying-a-brief-moment-in-gorakshasana-cowherd-pose/
  • agdyl
    Options

Goraksasana:
    http://www.katsaksyoga.com/2010/06/10/enjoying-a-brief-moment-in-gorakshasana-cowherd-pose/

That's the one! I wonder what that has to do with being a cow herd?
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    With my bad balanc and knees that one may never happen! I have a yoga book at home with David Swenson in it and he has a move where he's sitting crosslegged but balancing on his toes. Ie one foot is bent down and the toes are holding up his entire body. It looks pretty intense. He has a lot of poses like that though. I don't know if I'll ever get anywhere near his level but seeing what he can do is good modivation! I have his Practice Manual and I have used some of his routines. Apparently he also has a DVD so I might get that eventually.
  • agdyl
    Options
    With my bad balanc and knees that one may never happen! I have a yoga book at home with David Swenson in it and he has a move where he's sitting crosslegged but balancing on his toes. Ie one foot is bent down and the toes are holding up his entire body. It looks pretty intense. He has a lot of poses like that though. I don't know if I'll ever get anywhere near his level but seeing what he can do is good modivation! I have his Practice Manual and I have used some of his routines. Apparently he also has a DVD so I might get that eventually.

That sounds like the Bikram toe stand. I can't do that either with my knees - but in Bikram it's a progression. You start in their variation of tree, which is like a standing half lotus. You either hold your foot/ankle in place or bring your hands to heart center. And then if you were good with that on the first round, the second round is an optional toe stand, where you go back to the first pose, then do a forward fold, fingertips on the ground and then sit down on your heel. I can't get my foot into half lotus/Bikram Tree as high as is recommended or keep it there without holding it, so I just stay there. And I also can't let my weight rest on my heels if I'm just sitting on my heels/in Virasana (hero pose), so I'm sure that even if the lotus was ready, the squat isn't.

But never say never. Maybe someday! If it doesn't, that's okay too.