Kooky breakfasts

Options
moonlights
moonlights Posts: 141 Member
I'm currently enjoying egg fried cauliflower rice for my breakfast, delicious with sesame oil and gluten free soya sauce.

I don't really eat 'breakfast' foods anymore, except occasionally bacon and eggs or coconut flour pancakes. I might have cheese salad or courgettes in creamy sauce for example.

What unusual low carb breakfasts do you enjoy?

Replies

• KetoGirl_ZC
    KetoGirl_ZC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From very frequent to almost never:

- No breakfast.
    - Plain coffee.
    - Coffee with butter or coconut oil.
    - Eggs.
    - Unsweetened greek yogurt.
    - Burgers.
    - Salmon.
    - Greek yogurt with fruit.
    - Leftovers.

Mostly I only eat "breakfast" if I anticipate no lunch. The more hectic I anticipate my day to be the bigger breakfast I have.

::flowerforyou::
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I make low carb/keto versions of all my favourite breakfast foods. Including baking my own bread for toast, making my own cereal, making my own porridge. That in itself is kinda kooky to my family. Because why make it when you can buy it(because CARBS!!!)? Too much effort.
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    Options
    I make low carb/keto versions of all my favourite breakfast foods. Including baking my own bread for toast, making my own cereal, making my own porridge. That in itself is kinda kooky to my family. Because why make it when you can buy it(because CARBS!!!)? Too much effort.

Recipes, please. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

• Shadowmf023
    Options
    LCHF Coconut and Flax bread;

1 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup flaxseeds
    1/2 cup flax seed meal
    3 tablespoons Psyllium husk
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon Erythritol and stevia mix
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    2 tablespoons Coconut oil
    3/4 cup warm water
    4 tablespoons mixed seeds

Preheat oven to 180°C. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk the eggs and mix in with the dry ingredients. Melt the coconut oil in the warm water and mix in with the dry ingredients. Mix well and let the dough rest for 2 minutes. Pour the dough in a buttered bread pan and sprinkle the mixed seeds over. Bake for 45-50minutes. 1 bread has 15g carbs in total. I want to experiment with placing the dough in cookie sheets. Because the bread doesn't rise. So if it's already flat in the sheet, I can just cut it into slices. It might change the baking time though.
  • Shadowmf023
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LCHF Coconut porridge -

1/2 cup dessicated coconut
    2 tsp butter
    1/4 cup cream

Microwave for a minute or so until thickened. (Super small serving... Super filling)

LCHF Porridge #2 -

3 cups nutflour of your choice
    2 tbsp Psyllium husk
    1.5 cups flax seed meal
    1.5 cups dessicated coconut.

Mix it all together. To prepare, mix 3-4 tablespoons of the mixture with a little warm water. Serve with cream or coconut cream.
    4g carbs p/serving

Variations - Chocolate porridge - add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon erythritol and stevia mix to the ingredients.
    5.5g carbs p/serving
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    Oh I should add (sorry for spamming the thread! Lol) , as you can see, south african lchf recipes use a lot of Psyllium husk and flax seeds. So these recipes count net carbs, because almost all the carbs in flax and psyllium are from fibre...which also means that these recipes are HIGH fibre and high fat. Just saying.

I once made the mistake of accidentally eating 40g of fibre in one day... It was a fun day on the throne that's for sure. :joy:
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 2 tbsp butter, dash of cinnamon... microwaved for a minute or so and then mixed. It is a recipe from a keto cookbook I just bought.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    pbiwbj01yuf5.jpeg
    5 slices of turkey bacon, topped with two slices of melty Havarti cheese is my breakfast today. :smiley:
  • AshStout83
    Options
    Cooked in butter, of course. :wink:
  • KetoGirl_ZC
    Options
    @Shadowmf023 thank you so much!

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @ashtaylor83, not meaning to pick on you, but I have a hard time calling anything not made of pork "bacon." Besides, why lose the extra fat real bacon has?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    In my pre-LC days, I used to work two jobs. I would work at Starbucks in the morning and then go to a job at the mall in the afternoon. In between the two shifts, I would grab what was considered breakfast or my first meal of the day. It would be 10AM and I would be eating sushi. So I feel like that is the weirdest thing I've eaten in the morning.

That being said, I have also had things like chicken stir fry in the morning as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    @ashtaylor83, not meaning to pick on you, but I have a hard time calling anything not made of pork "bacon." Besides, why lose the extra fat real bacon has?

Many do not eat the flesh of swine.
  • AshStout83
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Don't worry, I don't feel picked on. I too have a hard time calling it bacon. Real bacon is a bit rich for me in large quanities and I don't like to eat pork. My breakfast contained 32g of fat and 22g of protein. My macro goals are 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carbs. It's working well for me.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    If you are anti-pork, another option might be beef bacon. I haven't personally tried it, but heard it was good.

http://beefbacon.net/

I wasn't thinking about being Kosher or other reasons to not eat pork.
  • AshStout83
    Options
    If you are anti-pork, another option might be beef bacon. I haven't personally tried it, but heard it was good.

http://beefbacon.net/

I wasn't thinking about being Kosher or other reasons to not eat pork.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
  • cstehansen
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »

I have to try this. I will probably replace the pickles with jalapeños though.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always have salad with protein and tons of olive oil for breakfast around 10am. Time to switch it up though to something I can heat up though because it's getting cold where I live so salad won't work for me