Standing in Store without a clue

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
I am stuck.....Low fat, Low Carb, Low Sugar, Low Cal....I have forgotten what to eat.....what I should eat. I know I need to eat whole and wholesome foods, but I am standing in the store wondering what is a yes and what is a no................

Ideas of what you would or would not eat?????

I am freaked.....

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You could maybe try one and see if you like it. I normally find in order to reach my daily allowance I do not need to go low ..... on anything. They also usually have more additives which would be something I would have to think about and it can get quite complicated.

If it helps I buy fresh veg for cooking with, use tomatoes as a base for most of my sauces and then add various herbs and spices. Usually have greek youghurt, cheese (not low fat),olive oil and butter in the house and work these into my allowances. Walnuts, almonds and sunflower seeds are there for munchies or to add to the yoghurt and fruit.

:smile:
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I saty away from anything that says low unless it the price. if its low fat then its high sugar, there is always a pay off. I personally dont have anything in the house with artificial flavours, colours, additives. I would rather eat the real deal then let my body deal with it. We have so many "food like substances" that our body doesn't know how to deal with them. Companies add artificial flavours to get us hooked and eat more....MSG is the worse.

I used to take a book around the groceries with me that had all the numbers to check. Once you read what one chemical can do then think about what a chemical storm some "foods" are it will make you rethink.

The book was called chemical maze, you can get an app too. Another great resource I've recently found is Food Matters.

It it had a mother or was grown from the ground eat it....if not pass. But if it is processed go for natural with no added crap. Another good tip is to shop around the perimeter of the groceries as that is generally how they are all designed to have produces, meat & dairy there.

I agree with the other poster, nuts, avocado, coconut oil. Some margarines have the same chemical make up as plastic......and we wonder why so many people are getting ill.

I'm not sure if its any help but I hope so. Yell out if you want anything else. We I live does not have the amount of fast food chains like you have in the US though. So they are not as easy to access. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • disintegratedgirl
    disintegratedgirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm really new to this eating more thing so had a similar dilemna to you. I'd been restrictng my food intake for over 4 years and so have gone for "low" options of most things for what seems like forever. A couple of the things that I have re-introduced and can't believe i ever turned away from have been full fat cream cheese and full fat greek yogurt. Its been a relevation! I would suggest maybe trying to introduce one non-diet option a week and see how you go? You can keep an eye on your macros to make sure you are still in the ranges you want to be and go from there.
  • ChanceyRose
    Options
    Another good tip is to shop around the perimeter of the groceries as that is generally how they are all designed to have produces, meat & dairy there.

All of the above but mostly this ^^

I dart into the aisles to pick up canned beans, canned tomatoes, tuna, coffee, peanut butter, pasta, and spices. We recently banned processed snack food (even low cal/low fat varieties) from the house. The teenager was very unhappy about it but *shrugs* she doesn't need it anymore than I do even though she is a healthy weight. Peanut butter and celery makes a better-for-you snack than a 100 calorie snack pack, IMO.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is calories in vs calories out, you can google healthy protein, fats, and carbs and get a laundry list of products that are great to eat. Also protein shakes if you are on the go can be good.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I guess I just need to get used to eating what I want now. I have been off of fast food for a very long time now (occasionally I will have something, but very rare), and I do not eat snack packs or chips or stuff like that. For the last 2 years I have been eating basically Low Carb - I did HCG with a VLCD for 1 year, but that diet does not allow for alot of carbs either. so choosing the good carbs to get me into my 40% range has me scratching my head :P I was almost in tears when I decided to get the warm hand made corn tortillas I picked last night at the mexican sotre, knowing there was a better option in wheat tortillas. But my husband hugged me and told me buy them and eat 2 when you want to, and enjoy them. So I decided, when I am having a taco day and I want to eat that sort of thing, I am doing it on a day that I am working out......It's just getting used to the mindset is all. I have been eating at my TDEE for some time, but my macros are needing the work at this point.....I am just reminding myself, if you want OJ, go pick the oranges and get a juicer out! I have a garden that grows my veggies, wholla. Berry and fruit trees to provide me with some sweets in my protein shakes...WHOLLA. I just have to relax...1 st shopping day down :) Day 3 of the REST OF MY LIFE EATING REAL FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You are half way there with a great vege garden, fruit trees and berries. I'm sure after a while of retraining yourself you won't be afraid of carbs....they are not evil. It will take time but we are all here to support you. Small steps will get you there and by the sound of it you made one with the tortilla.....good on you. Can't wait to here how you progess :)
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    You are half way there with a great vege garden, fruit trees and berries. I'm sure after a while of retraining yourself you won't be afraid of carbs....they are not evil. It will take time but we are all here to support you. Small steps will get you there and by the sound of it you made one with the tortilla.....good on you. Can't wait to here how you progess :)

Thank you! I am starting to get used to things.....still hyper focused on foods right now, I cannot wait to get to a point where, I think of food, I eat it , I move on......just rough :)