Eat all the fat% with 100+ to lose?

I'm 5'3" 277lbs (insulin resistant/PCOS).

Do I need to really eat 70% fat since I have so much body fat? I did read somewhere that as long as I meet the other 2 macros, fat intake didn't matter.

With that said, according to BB's calculator, I should be at 1700 cal for weight loss. Is that advisable with my keto macros? I really just eat fish, chicken, and turkey. I love dairy, but i do think it's keeping me from ketosis. Thus, I don't want to overdo it.

TIA

Replies

• Want2BeBetter
    Want2BeBetter Posts: 44 Member
    From what I understand to much protein can prevent ketosis and reduce fat loss. If you want to eat 1700 cal that will end up as a lot of protein. If possible at least eat the more fatty cuts of meat and a lot of cheeses are low in carbohydrates if you enjoy dairy.
  • Robica1985
    Robica1985 Posts: 7 Member
    My understanding is that the carb macro is a maximum to not exceed, your protein is a macro you should hit/ get very close to consistently, and the fat macro is just one to fill the void. Meaning, that's where the primary of your satiation comes in. I do agree with Holly though, you should be eating more in the beginning stages and the decreasing as needed for weight loss later. I would also suggest redoing your macro calculator every 5-10lbs lost to ensure you're scaling down appropriately.
  • Umm_Leila
    Umm_Leila Posts: 23 Member
    Robica1985 wrote: »
    My understanding is that the carb macro is a maximum to not exceed, your protein is a macro you should hit/ get very close to consistently, and the fat macro is just one to fill the void. Meaning, that's where the primary of your satiation comes in. I do agree with Holly though, you should be eating more in the beginning stages and the decreasing as needed for weight loss later. I would also suggest redoing your macro calculator every 5-10lbs lost to ensure you're scaling down appropriately.

I absolutely agree with this statement.
    Carbs are a limit, protein is a goal, and fat is an extra to fill hunger/energy needs (always remember healthy fats like avocado, coconut oil, etc)

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    The more fat you put in your mouth, the less your body will burn from your on-board Strategic Energy Reserve (which you'd like to reduce).

In other words, your body is not going to suffer if you don't give it more fat.

Certainly there's no need to force yourself to eat fat in order to hit % targets, especially if you're not hungry.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    I ate high fat during the fat adaptation period, then eased off after that. I wanted to train my body to use dietary fat for fuel, then lower fat coming in so it would begin using my stores. Now I only eat as much fat as I need to stay full. This has worked well for me :)
  • MoonriverDreamer
    MoonriverDreamer Posts: 24 Member
    The more fat you put in your mouth, the less your body will burn from your on-board Strategic Energy Reserve (which you'd like to reduce).

In other words, your body is not going to suffer if you don't give it more fat.

Certainly there's no need to force yourself to eat fat in order to hit % targets, especially if you're not hungry.

I have a question -- I tried my first 36 hour fast yesterday. Fasting BG was 160. I drank only plain black coffee and water. I went for a 35 min. brisk walk. My blood sugar level gradually lowered to 104 by 6PM, but was back up to 130 by 8PM. I am type 2 diabetic and have been doing intermittent fasting most of the time for the past 7 or 8 months (except Christmas holiday). A week before I'd been eating keto, with fat the highest percentage, carbs 25-35 and protein around 30-50.

I don't know why my BG spiked at 8pm but I decided to take my metformin and eat before bedtime. What is recommended for type 2s before going on longer than a 24 hour fast? I felt great at 25 hours but irritable and frustrated at all the information out there -- it's so much I sometimes confuse my facts.

What did you mean about "the more fat you put in your mouth, the less your body will burn"? I don't know what the on-board Strategic Energy Reserve means. Is that glycogen stores? Or fat? Because it seemed to contradict itself, not knowing what that term means. Thanks!