Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low fat AND low carb?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm trying a compromise. Giving up butter, and replacing full fat yoghurt, cheese, etc with the lower fat types. That sort of thing. Perhaps its not "low fat" but its not high fat, either.

If you're trying to reduce the fat, I'd recommend focusing on leaner cuts of meat instead of saving it on the dairy. The fat in dairy tends to be replaced by carbs, whereas the leaner cuts of meat will just have more protein.

Unfortunately, in my case, not only did I get more carbs per serving when I used to eat fat-free and low-fat dairy products, but I got more servings, too. Dang! :s

A container of plain, full-fat yogurt now lasts me about twice as long as its LF cousin... :p
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Im finding this to be true already. Cut back on fat, increase appetite for carbs. Its not sustainable.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited September 2016
    Im finding this to be true already. Cut back on fat, increase appetite for carbs. Its not sustainable.

Welcome back to the dark side :wink:
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    My cholesterol decreased substantially after going high-fat, low carb.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited September 2016
    I too am in the same boat. My numbers are really quite good but because my brother has had two heart attacks in his 50's (one after a stress test!), I am in the high risk category and have to drive the LDL down more. Since I am over 60, and the doctor threatened me with medications or diet and I need travel insurance, I have to comply with diet changes, for now.

I have been doing low fat (25% - 30%) and moderate low carb (100g or less daily) for 3 weeks and it is getting easier. I have up the fiber a great deal to keep the net carbs down below 100. Food joy isn't great after high fat but I am gradually getting the hang of less fat with good taste.

I believe the others are correct, your LDL and Total Cholesterol will drop over time. But sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

Good luck! @canadjineh helped me to stop the whining about all the fats I was missing.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    My cholesterol decreased substantially after going high-fat, low carb.

Interesting! Mine did actually go up (along with my HDL). So far still in a healthy range.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Our bodies use cholesterol to make bile, our bodies make cholesterol as well as using what we take in from food. Soluble fiber is what helps really lower cholesterol. It binds with bile and takes it out of the body so it does not recirculate, the body then uses more cholesterol to make more bile. Brussels sprouts are great for soluble fiber, as well as many other vegetables. Try to get as much soluble fiber as possible, a little at each meal. Here is a soluble fiber calculator. I use it all the time. It's a little strange though the way they have it set up. Say you choose broccoli, it has a serving of broccoli set at 1/2 a cup. If you add a cup of broccoli to the calculator you add it as 2 servings. I don't understand the odd serving sizes in the thing but it does help. You could just enter your food either at each meal or at the end of the day to see how much soluble fiber you're getting. globalrph.com/fiber_content_soluble.htm
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Thanks for the calculator! @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    High cholesterol isn't necessarily bad.
    Without knowing the exact break down I personally wouldn't change a thing.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    You have had lots of advice here, but I didn't see this one... I recommend getting a second opinion.
    This is really good advice I think. A qualified second opinion would give you chance to talk through some of the ideas here.
  • High cholesterol isn't necessarily bad.

Yes! What part is HDL and what part is LDL! Great point!
  • @dasher602014 You're welcome! :)
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    I'm doing Dukan, which is high protein and low fat w/ veggies and oat bran.
    I seem to like it better than Atkins because of:
    - the oat bran: I really enjoy my daily oat bran muffin (tastes a bit like corn bread), and
    - goji berries = candy, not that I'm craving any,
    - and tons of veggies on my protein-veggie days.

It's only Day 17, so we'll see how this goes. I love how I haven't had any cravings!

I haven't gotten my blood works done yet. I have high cholesterol (but almost good ratio because my HDL is very high).
    I want to see what my numbers are after losing 25#.

Would love a diet buddy!

Amanda
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    huango wrote: »
    I'm doing Dukan, which is high protein and low fat w/ veggies and oat bran.
    I seem to like it better than Atkins because of:
    - the oat bran: I really enjoy my daily oat bran muffin (tastes a bit like corn bread), and
    - goji berries = candy, not that I'm craving any,
    - and tons of veggies on my protein-veggie days.

It's only Day 17, so we'll see how this goes. I love how I haven't had any cravings!

I haven't gotten my blood works done yet. I have high cholesterol (but almost good ratio because my HDL is very high).
    I want to see what my numbers are after losing 25#.

Would love a diet buddy!

Amanda
    What do you see as "tons of veggies"? (I'm a veggie lover).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I'm going to throw another idea in here: South Beach Diet and other low glycemic impact approaches.

Lean proteins, high fiber vegetables and later grains, nuts and seeds, dairy. Not low carb. Not low fat. But lower on saturated fats, and low on nutrient poor, low fiber carbs.

It's basically how I eat. It's "slow carb, low crap, no carbage."

Just an idea.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member

--

^^^^ I like that

---
    I think it's a good amount of veggies, especially compared to just the pure protein days.

This was my lunch on Saturday:
    - grilled lime shrimp with arugula, cherry tomato, and broccoli.
    14125541_10210813701684536_6753315009310466942_o.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    High cholesterol isn't necessarily bad.

True. In women especially, low cholesterol is more of a health problem than higher cholesterol.

My triglycerides tend to be too low. It always worried me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

--

^^^^ I like that

---
    I think it's a good amount of veggies, especially compared to just the pure protein days.

Looks like an Atkins amount of veggies. And MAN that looks delicious!!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member

--

^^^^ I like that

---

My macros fall under LCHF and my dinners often look like that, I just sauté the veg in some olive or coconut oil to get the fat (though I do occasionally use duck fat too, my cholesterol is super low, so I'm not stressed about it) and I keep the meat portion to a minimum to avoid excessive protein. My lunch is a salad most days, but I avoid the low fat dressings as they tend to have too much sugar and I stick with full fat dairy. There are plenty of healthy fat options if you're concerned about cholesterol. We don't all dump butter in our coffee lol, though I do use it to scramble my eggs :smile: