Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hungry!!

mrscc10
mrscc10 Posts: 6 Member
Hi everyone, looking for some help please.
I'm on my 2nd day of low carb, under 50g a day feeling tired but think this is normal, but I'm also very very hungry!! I keep reading how a lot of people just aren't hungry & don't eat all their calories.....will this come with time? Can't imagine it at the moment lol!!
I lost 1.5st just sticking to calories but I can't get the last 7lb off so really wanted to give this woe a go as I did it a long long time ago & remember feeling great on it with loads of energy. I'm finding it very hard getting my head round not going low cal tho! Mfp puts me at 1,300 cals a day, when you guys first started low carb did you still stick to calories too?
Sorry for long post......in need of help!
Thanks!!

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Don't worry about calories the first couple of weeks, eat lots of fat until adapted. Have you researched the launch pad? It has tons of helpful information for situations like yours. :)
  • mrscc10
    Thank you!
    Gonna have a good research tonight when kids are all in bed!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Are you getting enough sodium? 3000-5000 mg is recommended especially in the beginning (and maybe always) because of the normal diuretic effect of low carb.

As much as I didn't want to increase my sodium intake, I found it extremely necessary for balance of electrolytes and not getting symptoms of "keto flu". I have also learned that my feelings of hunger are often a need for increased sodium. This worked/s for me as I remain a calorie counter on keto.
  • mrscc10
    Thanks, that's the next thing I'm going to check!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    I echo what @SuperCarLori said - eat lots of fat. That's what keeps you satiated.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    If you're hungry, eat. Just make sure it's good fatty low carb foods.
    Once you're further into the adaptation you should feel the bliss of reduced hunger.
    Also, definitely sodium. Seriously. This is an absolute must.
  • mrscc10
    Thanks everyone! Determined to do it, but I'm
    Just so trained to low calorie eating that I'm terrified of putting weight on
  • atlathemis
    atlathemis Posts: 18 Member
    I agree with other posts about making sure you have enough sodium to help prevent "keto flu." I add salt to my drinking water and actually like the taste quite a bit. And, I have gone through the keto-adaptation phase three times in the past six months (i.e. I went back to eating carbs and had to start again.) I've noticed that my appetite was pretty much the same when I first started eating low carb/high fat. After I lost the water weight, which was about 5 lbs, my body just stayed put -not losing or gaining- as I continued eating the same way. However, after about a week to 10 days, I found that my appetite lessened. I no longer have the crazy hunger pangs in the middle of the afternoon. No more desire to snack between meals, and I can eat fairly small low carb meals and feel full. Just give it time and think of this as part of the transition phase.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    mrscc10 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Determined to do it, but I'm
    Just so trained to low calorie eating that I'm terrified of putting weight on

• moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    The lack of hunger takes a while. I'm always starving for the first week so just eat what you need as long as it's low carb - rich food like cheese and bacon can be good as they really feel like indulging.
  • mrscc10
    That's brilliant, thank you everyone!
    Really hope this helps me shift the last of the weight & gives me more energy in the long run.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    I agree with what the others have said here, add more fats and protein until you don't feel hungry anymore. For the first couple weeks I only tracked carbs, not calories. I ate until I was full. I snacked on almonds, DARK chocolate (90% or more), beef jerky. I ate loads of veggies, bunless burgers, cauliflower mash, twice baked cauliflower, meatballs, chicken wings, fathead pizza, salads, you name it. Take the first little while to re-learn how to eat and what to eat, otherwise you might get overwhelmed and start binging, or worse, giving up. One step at a time!

Important to add though - I didn't add anything with artificial sweeteners until later on, maybe a month or so later until my body had adapted, otherwise they'd send me into a hunger spin constantly craving food! I had to get all the sugar out of my body and then slowly re-introduce those sweeteners later to see how they'd impact my hunger/cravings.