Just starting...

Options
becka63
becka63 Posts: 712 Member
Hi, I'm just starting YAYOG, using the app, today.

Any tips / advice / success (or failure) stories?

Thanks

Replies

• stephen4232
    stephen4232 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I am justing starting week 2 using the App.

I love it!!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Following the book and loving it - even seeing some definition and definitely seeing strength gains.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well, I messed up the first workout - I had been browsing the future programs on the app and forgot to go back to the beginner one, so my introduction into YAYOG was not the basic program! Eek. Never mind, I ploughed on through....did the proper first one today, was a killer!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I just bought the app. I'm doing 10k training 3 days a week, and I was doing NROL4W for strength training 3 days a week too, but now I can't afford the gym anymore. A $2 app to do strength training at home?! OK! Sign me up :smile:

Edited: I was able to answer my question with some research. Just needed to not be lazy. lol
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Just started this week with the app. and I love it! I'd been doing at home dumb-bell workouts, and then got lazy for 6-8 weeks, and just felt like changing things up. It's totally kicking my a@@, and I can't wait to see how I can progress. I'm doing the beginner's 10 week w/o, and it's more than enough for me.
  • jkirby79
    jkirby79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I got the e-book in March 2013 and have completed two of the 10 week programs. I finished First Class and then Master.

The exercises are definitely challenging in the beginning and left me sore for the first few weeks. I enjoyed the creativity that Mark Lauren demonstrated throughout the book that allowed me to get a solid workout without leaving my house.

I was not overweight when I started out so I can't really comment on how the programs helps with weight loss. My goal has actually been to gain lean mass, but not too much. My starting weight was around 142 and I'm currently at 148. I think my strength gains have been very good for four months worth of exercises. When I began I could not complete one pull up and now I'm up to 9. The other day I decided to see how many decline push ups I could do and I stopped at 50. I think I've made some real progress.

I also found that the YAYOG program rarely left me out of breath. It is not anything like interval training (except stappers, which are tough). Sometimes it even felt too easy. I would say if you think an exercise isn't pushing you hard enough then you should use a more difficult variation or even a different exercise that falls in that day's theme (push, pull, etc.).

So I guess what I'm saying is that as long as the program meets your needs you should keep going. I stopped after Master and tried a program from the book called "7 Weeks to Getting Ripped." It's more interval style but also consists solely of body weight exercises. When I finish with that I think my next step will be to create my own workouts consisting of exercises where I can only do around 10 reps per set in order to gain muscle mass.

Hope that helped someone!
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Wow! I started today and my arms are like jelly! I'm using the app. I ordered "Body by You,"and haven't received it yet, so I'm doing the YAYOG app exercises. I've been lifting weights (deadlifts, squats, etc.) and I thought my arms were pretty strong. Realizing now they are not as strong as I thought!
  • Kmoeser1028
    Kmoeser1028 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am just staring as well and am a bit confused. I bought both books, Body by you & you are your own gym. Mainly becasue i am going to ahve my 2 teenage sones start the program as well, figure its a more natural way for them to add muslce for their respective sports. I will be following the bodt by you, the femal focused program. I ahve downloaded the app and noticed that when I get to the workout schedule, they are not the same. The app is 4 days , the book is 3. has anyone else noticed this? i wonder...do i shrink the 4x a week to 3 and roll over the extra day to the next week? add an extra day, which wouldn't hurt. Just curious as to how others have apporached the schedule of book vs app.
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am just staring as well and am a bit confused. I bought both books, Body by you & you are your own gym. Mainly becasue i am going to ahve my 2 teenage sones start the program as well, figure its a more natural way for them to add muslce for their respective sports. I will be following the bodt by you, the femal focused program. I ahve downloaded the app and noticed that when I get to the workout schedule, they are not the same. The app is 4 days , the book is 3. has anyone else noticed this? i wonder...do i shrink the 4x a week to 3 and roll over the extra day to the next week? add an extra day, which wouldn't hurt. Just curious as to how others have apporached the schedule of book vs app.

I have the Body by You book and have just been following the schedule laid out in the book. I was under the impression that the app followed the YAYOG program, and they haven't offered a BBY version yet. Because I've been doing them every other day, there are weeks where if I want to fit four strength training sessions in I'll add a resistance band workout. This doesn't appear to have hurt my progress, as I've been able to progress in one or more of the exercises every week - but I started pretty low. I plan to move to the YAYOG program once I finish the third cycle of BBY.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can create a Body by You workout using customize on the YAYOG app? I'm still waiting for my book to arrive in the mail, so I'm not sure what the difference between the programs is yet.
  • ruthiebaby88
    ruthiebaby88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    From what I hear - the difference between BBY and YAYOG is that there are more increments offered in Body by You - more levels in between so that you improve bit by bit. Also BBY suggests working out 3x week while YAYOG suggests 4x week.

So I think the progression is slower - but that's fine for me since my arms are pretty weak. Now on week 4 I'm still doing arm exercises at the level 5, while my bending is at level 16! I'm hopeful that my arms will catch up at some point.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do, would be to just follow the YAYOG app for now until your book arrives. You will gain strength that will mean that when you do the starting test in the book - you will test out to start at a higher level.

Apparently, plenty of women used YAYOG before the BBY book was created. It sounds like YAYOG may be a little more challenging than BBY.

I plan to get the YAYOG book after I graduate through the cycles in BBY.
  • ruthiebaby88
    ruthiebaby88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of the Body by You book and one thing I am relieved to share is that the soreness subsides.

The first week I was so sore that it was slowing me down at work!

After the first week or two, I still felt sore after workouts - but more a mild, not too bothersome kind of sore. Nothing like the hobbling soreness of the first week.

I guess my muscles are adapting!