Never knew it had a name...

Madpiano2
Madpiano2 Posts: 13 Member
I used to do low carb but it got too expensive. Switched to warrior diet for a while but somehow lost the way and gained the kilos instead. Growing a 5kg Fibroid didn't help. But that isn't an excuse anymore. Had it removed 4 years ago and was just lazy.

As a child/teenager I never ate breakfast and rarely lunch. Never liked sweets (chips/crisps and nuts are my downfall) and was skinny. Had my daughter and as I was breastfeeding started eating throughout the day. She was fed for 3 years and even though I was eating lots, I was really skinny. I never stopped the eating lots and the weight has crept on since then. Plus a more sedentary lifestyle and you can imagine. Oh, and an office that loves sweets, pancake day, pizza day, random free donuts, several people with a baking habit...

I restarted IF 3 weeks ago, but I never kept an 8hr eating window. I have no portion control whatsoever. Once I start eating, I eat until full. And 8 hours is like not fasting at all for me, as I never eat breakfast. I kind of always did IF (no idea why I keep slipping back to grazing) with just one meal a day. It was way easier than counting calories and having this big 8hr window to eat.

I started just having a couple of pieces of fruit (we get them for free at work) and a handful of nuts (we get free Almonds) at around 5pm at work and then dinner when I get home at 7ish (anyone familiar with Southern Trains in the UK knows my pain of trying to get home at a set time). I am not sure if this is good? Should I drop the fruit/nuts? I did lose weight, so I guess it's ok?

I also do once-a-month-cooking, so dinner is easy peasy and I am not tempted by takeaways, but no idea about calories. I don't like counting them. I just eat until I am full. Every 6 weeks I do Salad Week where I just have a massive salad in the evening that, according to fitday, has 2200 calories, but I still manage to lose weight.

Just returned from a 10 day holiday at my parents in Bavaria. No IF at all, lots of beer and quite a bit of weight gain, but I just love my mum's cooking and won't see my parents again until February next year. Any excuse :-)
My daughter took tons of photos. I didn't escape them all. They are now my inspiration to lose weight. Currently at 84.9kg and goal is 60kg. No time frame, but would be nice if I am close to goal next summer.

I don't use Gyms and I detest running. But thanks to Pokemon started walking a lot and want to get back into swimming as my posture is atrocious.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi, and welcome!

I would work to do strict OMAD. You'll be surprised how you adapt with just a little discomfort along the way. Gotta learn to reclaim your control. Once you do, it will be like a previously untapped source of knowledge and the feeling that you did something that was before thought to be out of reach.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome, @Madpiano2!
  • AdalineIF
    AdalineIF Posts: 21 Member
    Hi M. and good luck!
  • Madpiano2
    Good morning and thanks for the welcome!
    Yesterday was pretty hard, but I decided to go cold turkey and after 2 weeks of "splurge days" the tummy rumbled quite a bit. I managed to get to 5pm before I started eating. I am slowly moving that time back to 8pm to fit better with my lifestyle, I just don't want to rush it and end up overeating due to extreme hunger. Scales have gone down already, and I no longer shout "how much??? Has someone messed with the scales??" in the morning :D

Hope you are all having a wonderful day and may the pounds drop and our bodies shrink o:)
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Welcome and I'm so glad you're here! o:)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Welcome!
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Welcome M!

Bobo
  • Madpiano2
    Hello

check in for the day. Yesterday went really well. I didn't have the fruit/nuts in the office and was fairly hungry when leaving at 5:45pm.... caught a fast train home, but just after leaving the station the train broke down. Air con failed (and it was really hot here yesterday) and as the train had a reduced capacity it was so full, one couldn't move. It was stuck for 2 hours until we were rescued. Now I finally know how a stew feels in the slow cooker. At least I was no longer hungry, but it took me another 1.5hrs to go home as they closed the line and I had to go the long way round. Finally got home at 9:30pm and after a quick shower (you cannot imagine how blissful that shower felt) I had dinner. I wasn't really hungry, but as I only just restarted IF, I didn't want to do a 48hr fast quite yet. Scales were down again this morning - I will post weight at the end of the week.

Today didn't go quite as well....it is even hotter today. September is turning into a better summer than June. And our Air-con in the office is playing up. Had a meeting and my colleague put an ice cream on my desk afterwards as I helped him a bunch. It would have been really awkward to say no, he was feeling guilty enough as I helped him during my PTO on a case (I work in support), so I ate it. It was thankfully only a small Mars Ice Cream Bar, but definitely really, really bad. Surprisingly I am not craving more food. The fact that we have around 32C in the office helps. London really doesn't cope with any temps over 25C (it's 31C > 87F outside).

Hopefully the scales will not kill me tomorrow morning. I guess I just wont lose today which isn't a great deal in the long run.

Have a lovely day and stay away from ice cream o:)
  • OMADing1
    I'm rooting for you and I just hope you enjoyed the ice cream, because this is an uphill deal...we're going to have a lot of wins and a few issues along the way. I like to look it at as rather than this weight loss/and other root issues being a sprint, it's a marathon. Slow and steady will give us the victory, that's for sure!

Also, I'm thinking part of the overall WIN for you is the daily commute problems, you've really got a terrific attitude about that!
  • Madpiano2
    Sorry, I didn't post yesterday - fairly busy day in the office and had to rush off straight after.
    The ice cream didn't do much damage at all. Went up 200g and lost it again the next day. Not something to recommend, but it's not like we get above 25C in London very often. Maybe call it my splurge day o:)

Unfortunately, something that has happened to me before, has started again. I developed Perioral Dermatitis. This happened the first time just before my holiday when I was on OMAD, but for some reason has reared it's ugly head again. Was really bad yesterday, but calming down today. Anyone know what it could be caused by? I haven't changed anything. Nothing special to eat, no new face creams, nothing. Bit frustrating. Hopefully it goes away soon. And stays where it belongs - where the sun doesn't shine :)

Other than that, nothing new here. Doing well with OMAD, yesterday came home late as I went to visit my daughter straight after work, and nearly didn't eat at all. I am surprised I am slipping so easily into it this time. My body has obviously learned to stop fighting and just get on with it and use up all that old storage for functioning. It's not getting any better by sitting on the shelf.

OMADing1 - yes, having a good attitude to commuting in London helps immensely. Trains are always late, way overcrowded and the elusive air con never works. If there isn't a rail strike or a signalling failure or a person on the tracks..... I have Kindle on my phone, so I just see it as extra free reading time where no one interrupts or moans that I have my nose in a book. B)

Going out straight from work again today to fix something at my daughter's (going out for drinks without eating first really isn't recommended...you'll be a VERY cheap date), so late dinner again. This is starting to get to a pattern... at least it means I am not hungry at work.

Take care and hope you are all able to enjoy the last bits of summer. Only 100 days until Xmas!!
  • OMADing1
    Hi!

Again, love your attitude. I never heard of the issue you're dealing with, but looked it up and here's some stuff I found:
    The cause of perioral dermatitis (from wikipedia)

The cause of perioral dermatitis is unknown.[2] It often happens after the use of topical steroid on the face.[2]

There are a large number of potential causes including chewing gum, certain medications, hormone changes, and autoimmune diseases.[2] Lip licking, lip chewing, sucking, and allergies to ingredients in certain dental products have also been reported as causes.[3] Balsam of Peru[citation needed] and cinnamic aldehyde (both often used as flavoring in food, lipstick, mouthwash, and toothpaste), rosin in some chewing gum, cinnamon, and peppermint are other potential allergens that may cause perioral dermatitis.[4]

Here's some natural cures: (you can find more here:)
    http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/perioral-dermatitis.html

Natural Treatments for Perioral Dermatitis
    Apple Cider Vinegar
    Apple cider vinegar is effective for a variety of skin rashes, including perioral dermatitis. It is diluted for topical use on the skin. Apple cider vinegar is often a "go to" natural remedy for perioral dermatitis because it can work against bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

Colloidal Silver
    Colloidal silver also works well for viruses, bacteria and fungi. This remedy is quite gentle to the skin. Colloidal silver can be mixed into aloe gel for topical use, or just sprayed onto the affected skin. Colloidal silver gel can also be found online and in health food stores.

Yogurt
    Plain yogurt, with no sugar or artificial sweetener, can be used topically to calm perioral dermatitis. This cooling remedy can also bring healing. Yogurt can be taken internally as well. Yogurt is especially effective if perioral dermatitis has a fungal cause.

Hydrogen Peroxide
    Hydrogen peroxide can be used for perioral dermatitis. It may be drying to the skin and not the best remedy for perioral dermatitis that is dry in nature. You can use the 3% hydrogen peroxide from the grocery store and apply it twice a day with a cotton ball. If your skin is very sensitive, you may wish to dilute the peroxide even further before topical use.

Honey
    Quality honey has strong healing properties, yet honey is a gentle remedy. It is best to find a local raw honey. Manuka honey, while expensive, is another good option. Honey can be applied topically to the rash.

Clay
    A variety of clays can be used for dermatitis. French green clay and Bentonite clay both work well as a face mask. You can mix clay powder with water to make a paste and apply it to the skin. Rinse off after 5-10 minutes. Clay tends to be drying to the skin, so if you skin is already prone to dryness, try a different remedy first, or plan to follow up with a healing oil like castor oil or Shea butter.
  • arguablysamson
    I will add this to the list of OMAD symptoms once I learn of another person with it. Once a coincidental happening has been ruled out, I can start to research why and how the body is doing this. Very odd. Had not heard of that before.
  • Madpiano2
    Ooohh. I still have clay masks at home. I'll try one. I have Bentonite and Green Clay. Perfect. As I make them myself I know there are no other additives :-)
  • OMADing1
    Madpiano2 wrote: »
    Ooohh. I still have clay masks at home. I'll try one. I have Bentonite and Green Clay. Perfect. As I make them myself I know there are no other additives :-)

YAY! Hope it works.
  • Madpiano2
    Weigh in Day!!

So the first week is over and today it's weigh in day. I went out after work Friday (our work place takes Friday after work drinks serious and they tend to be epic), so I had an early dinner and was actually expecting a gain for Saturday, but quite the opposite, I had my biggest drop this week. Not sure if it was the extra liquids or the dehydration or the fact that I am from Bavaria and Beer is a basic food item there, but dropped nearly a Kilogram. Wouldn't recommend it as a permanent diet though, the hangover yesterday was pretty severe. So severe that I ordered Chinese Takeaway for dinner as I couldn't be asked to shop and cook. The most amazing thing about this diet? Had Chinese Takeaway and didn't put on weight. But the hunger was real all day.... hangover hunger is the worst, lol. Held out though and didn't eat until 8pm.

Here is this week's graph:
    vgbpkjeuapic.jpg

Starting weight: 84.9kg (187.17lbs) - BMI 33.1
    Today's weight: 82.2kg (181.22 lbs) - BMI 32.1
    Total loss this week: 2.7kg (5.95lbs)
    Totall loss since start: 2.7kg (5.95lbs)
    Goal Weight: 60kg (132lbs), so still quite a while to go

My jeans are loose over my tummy again, but my thighs aren't budging. For some reason my body has started to hold on to weight in my thighs like crazy. I guess it will have to use it eventually, if all the other bits are gone... It never really holds on to weight in my tummy and unless I go over 75kg, I don't really have a tummy at all. Of course this year, I was mostly over 75kg.... urgh.... looking forward to being able to wear a Bikini again next year :)

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    You are doing great. 5.95lbs is a great weekly loss.
  • OMADing1
    Madpiano2 wrote: »
    Weigh in Day!!

So the first week is over and today it's weigh in day. I went out after work Friday (our work place takes Friday after work drinks serious and they tend to be epic), so I had an early dinner and was actually expecting a gain for Saturday, but quite the opposite, I had my biggest drop this week. Not sure if it was the extra liquids or the dehydration or the fact that I am from Bavaria and Beer is a basic food item there, but dropped nearly a Kilogram. Wouldn't recommend it as a permanent diet though, the hangover yesterday was pretty severe. So severe that I ordered Chinese Takeaway for dinner as I couldn't be asked to shop and cook. The most amazing thing about this diet? Had Chinese Takeaway and didn't put on weight. But the hunger was real all day.... hangover hunger is the worst, lol. Held out though and didn't eat until 8pm.

Here is this week's graph:
    vgbpkjeuapic.jpg

Starting weight: 84.9kg (187.17lbs) - BMI 33.1
    Today's weight: 82.2kg (181.22 lbs) - BMI 32.1
    Total loss this week: 2.7kg (5.95lbs)
    Totall loss since start: 2.7kg (5.95lbs)
    Goal Weight: 60kg (132lbs), so still quite a while to go

My jeans are loose over my tummy again, but my thighs aren't budging. For some reason my body has started to hold on to weight in my thighs like crazy. I guess it will have to use it eventually, if all the other bits are gone... It never really holds on to weight in my tummy and unless I go over 75kg, I don't really have a tummy at all. Of course this year, I was mostly over 75kg.... urgh.... looking forward to being able to wear a Bikini again next year :)

This is just fabulous and wonderfully inspirational news---YAY YOU!!!!! o:)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Good job!
  • arguablysamson
    Nice!!!!