Protein!

Options
Need help! I need to increase my protein and am having trouble getting what I need. Any great protein sources?

Replies

• brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's one of the top choices but I am starting adding a hard boiled eggs. I also have a shake mix that I drink daily. I also have peanut butter daily and almonds for snack. I am also looking for more protein and fiber choices.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi @larkin24
    This article has some suggestions on high protein foods.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/macronutrients-series-basics-proteins-carbs-fats/
    You can always just trying adding more of the protein that you are already eating too, like more chicken, 2 eggs instead of 1.
    As a vegan all of my protein come from plant sources, so beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, even all veggies have some protein.
    Meats, cottage cheese, yoghurt protein bars and shakes are good for topping up.
    Hope the article will be useful for you.
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I drink shakes to help me meet my goal, Fage plain is my go to for a protein fiber bomb with some Kellog's All Bran Buds and fruit or just the two by themselves for breakfast or snack. Peanut butter with some toast and milk is a good snack(to me!), I eat Milton's so it has a few grams of protein per slice along with peanut butter spread on it and a glass of milk. As empressichel said, nuts, lentils and a little more of what you are already eating.

Eggs are good, but I like to mix mine up with egg whites to add extra protein and less cals so I can splurge on the fat calories with nut butter and chocolate.

I know how hard it can be to hit the goal. I looked back at my food diary to when I was actively losing the weight last year with MFP and was ASTONISHED to see 30-40 gram days!
  • jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My post was cut off. I also wanted to add that now I have 30-40 grams at breakfast. The protein has been a game changer.
  • Wiccandothis
    Wiccandothis Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time hitting my protein goal. Has anyone every tried that unflavored protein powder that you can add to pretty much everything? I've been wanting to try it for a while, but wanted to get some feedback first.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @Wiccandothis I have been successful with adding myprotein brand unflavored whey isolate to zucchini / pasta lasagna along with cottage cheese food processed + egg in "ricotta egg" mixture with success.

But there is this one time I added Whey isolate protein powder to HOT coffee....chunky monkey! Need to add to other room temp liquid (almond milk, milk, cooled coffee) FIRST blender bottle then hot coffee or chai tea

Fage is powerhouse for protein, can use as sour cream too.
  • 3b1p
    3b1p Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like to "splurge" on an iced coffee by using a protein shake and instant espresso. Super easy and it feels like a cheat without paying for it later. I usually use premier protein, but use what you prefer.

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    greta588 wrote: »
    I like to "splurge" on an iced coffee by using a protein shake and instant espresso. Super easy and it feels like a cheat without paying for it later. I usually use premier protein, but use what you prefer.

Yeah, I've heard a few people having protein coffees. Great idea!
    I don't drink coffee but I think I might try making a protein hot chocolate and see how that turns out. Thanks for the idea!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have had a protein coffee.. depends on my mood:)
    Greek Yogurt, Cheese, Eggs, Bacon (hello!!) Nuts are all my go tos for protein.
    On top of that I increased my meat servings at meals by a few ounces. Thats the easiest way to get more, as most dieting women are under the impression we should only have 3oz of any meat. (not true)

I still rely a lot on protein bars and shakes simply because 240g of protein is a lot to get in without it:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator