Getting Back On Track

WifiresGettingFit
WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
edited September 2016 in Social Groups
I wasn't sure which thread to put this in and then it occurred to me that it could be in it's very own thread. haha

A lot of us have been struggling lately and I stumbled upon this just now and thought I would share it as I found it to be really helpful/informative. (I haven't watched the videos yet.)

It's an old thread. Over a year and a half old to be exact but even so I thought since this is the first time I'm seeing it perhaps some of you haven't stumbled across it either and so that prompted me to start this.

@VeryKatie I actually saw scrolling through that you had commented on it. You liked it then so hopefully you'll like it now. =P

Some Thoughts on Starting Over

Replies

• Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    @WifiresGettingFit I'm on a quick lunch break, so didnt read all of that but will later. Looks inspirational!

I sometimes feel like Im the queen of starting over, or lets try this gimmick this week/month/year. I started the whole 30 again today because life keeps getting in the way of me being successful to my way of eating plan. I did the whole 30 for about 20 days in February with fantastic results, and I felt great about my food choices and felt like I was on the path to a healthy relationship with food (finally.) Obviously something derailed me and Ive been trying to make up lost ground ever since. The whole 30 for me was teaching me about hunger, no snacking, desserts are TREATS not for everyday. I over eat all the time, eat when Im not hungry, and go off plan too much.
    The rules are real foods, eat when you wake up, dont snack, no dessert, stop eating at 7pm. These guide lines helped me earlier this year to be a better me. Hoping to reconnect with myself.

I'm not starting over, Im getting back on track :smile:
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited September 2016
    @Kirstie155 Do you know what derailed you at that time? (Just a question for thought - not necessarily for you to answer.) Good luck with your re-connection!

I actually chose the subject title because of what he says in the thread. haha
    I don't necessarily consider myself starting over (I always say I'm getting back on track as well) but I do think that at some point if you keep slipping up on the plan you have - there's a reason for it and sometimes it's just how life is and other things need to be a priority.

I thought he had some good insight and tools that could help in general. I still need to watch the videos.
  • Kirstie155
    @WifiresGettingFit I know exactly why I slipped last time. It was social etiquette.
    My hubby's terminally ill aunt baked a cake and brought it for my MIL for a special occasion. It is her favorite cake, or a family recipe or something. There was no way I wasn't going to eat that cake.- no diet is worth insulting someone in that way. She was and still is unwell, and it was amazing that she was able to put the effort to bake. I was sent home with about half the cake, which I froze...but a little bite here, a little bite there. Before you know it, you're way off plan.

I don't regret eating the cake, and would do it again. I regret not getting back on plan right away though
  • WifiresGettingFit
    @Kirstie155 Aww I'm sorry to hear about his aunt. I'm glad you got to enjoy the cake!
    I would be that way with ice cream cake, it's my favorite! haha
  • Kirstie155
    Started the whole 30 again today because yesterday I overate and ate after 7..because food was tasty. Not in the spirit of the whole 30, so reboot today!

Going to keep rebooting until I can follow the rules. Today I will follow the rules.

Anyone else really good ALL DAY LONG. Then get home and throw it all away?
  • WifiresGettingFit
    @Kirstie155
    I have definitely had those days where I throw it all away later in the day. I think mine comes from boredom and the fact that I think about food constantly. Once I think about it, I want it and if I want it I can't stop thinking about until I have it. I can win the fight sometimes but not all the time. I miss the days where I had no clue about calories. I did much better. I mean it was also la_la land because I was one of those people that thought if you exercised you'd lose weight so I eventually would have stalled but I never got to that point because I stopped exercising and started eating more and here I am years later trying to get it all off.
  • Kirstie155
    I had a major win yesterday you guys.

I wanted to just throw in the towel and accept the fact that I am fat, will always be fat, might as well eat some cookies. Nothing I was doing was working. I am bloated and the scale has been in the same place within a few pounds for months. I believe that saying "Abs are made in the kitchen" so while working out is nice, eating is really the most important thing for weightloss. And Ive been doing so well with what I eat and not seeing the results I want.

I was at my breaking point yesterday. After a terrible raging period (that I stayed on plan for!!) a long day at the office, it was cold and rainy and I looked like a fat pregnant gorilla...I called my husband and told him how much I wanted some little debbie oatmeal cream pies. I was ready to cave and needed him to talk me out of it. He didnt. :neutral: instead he gave me an order to pick him up donuts and a milkshake while I was getting my own snacks!! I decided I was giving in. No sexy swimming suit for the Bahamas. No skinny jeans. Just fat, like always. I went into the grocery store...and didnt buy anything. Not one thing. I walked the isles, didnt find the cakes I wanted, nothing appealed to me when it actually came time to pull the trigger and buy: cookies, cakes, pudding, candy...any of it. I went home (hubby was disappointed) ate dinner and some more "nice cream" and tried on some clothes that looked puffy and terrible.

This morning the scale dropped to 189.6 :astonished: its like karma or some *kitten*. I really dont know. But my win was that I didnt buy a single thing from that store. I made a good choice :smile:
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Congratulations @Kirstie155!! That's a huge accomplishment!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Way to go @Kirstie155!
  • Kirstie155
    Thanks guys. I went off plan today and had 2 coconut macaroon cookies. I savored every bite.
    And I dont feel a binge coming on...which is really a big thing for me. Proud of myself :)
  • Kirstie155
    Im sure the scale is going to go up 2 pounds because of those cookies, but what can you do?
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Punish the scale and focus on how you feel. =P
  • Kirstie155
    edited September 2016
    Scale was 190.4 today, feeling pretty awesome about that :smile: I also ate like so much lamb for dinner-sidebar-you guys, lamb is so good! Why dont we eat it more? Got a 5# boneless roast for $25 at costco! Totally going to start cooking lamb more often! But seriously I ate what felt like 3 pounds of lamb hahah.

Anyway @WifiresGettingFit I know the scale isn't everything, but its really hard when its been stuck this long. I haven't been working out due to time constraints and I really want to have a spotter now too.

Mentally back in the game, and put that last nummy nummy cookie in the freezer for emergencies.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    That's awesome @Kirstie155 about the scale and I'm so glad you enjoyed your lamb!

I understand the frustration. I just thought it was a good read and could be a nice reminder in the future for all of us.

I'm glad you're back in the game! I feel like I'm getting there too.
    I feel like taking the pressure off myself to be at the deficit MFP has for me or that it has to be all or nothing has really made a difference in my attitude about the whole process. Not to say I don't still need to step up my game but at least mentally I'm getting in a better place.
  • Kirstie155
    Ha, thanks Kayla. I'm in a better headspace than I was a few days ago for sure!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    That's good to hear!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Really and truly getting back on track today. I did well Saturday, but blew it yesterday by baking and eating before logging, so my portion wound up being a huge number of calories.

@WifiresGettingFit I finally read that thread you linked. I need to work on some of those suggestions in the post. I do some of them half-heartedly, but I think sitting down and really thinking through what helps me and what derails me would be useful.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    @puffbrat Glad you found the thread helpful! You've got this!
  • Kirstie155
    Eh. I'm about to just throw in the towel. It's just so hard, something Always ends up screwing with my progress and I'm tired of always "starting over" or "on a new diet" What's wrong with me the way I am? Going to focus on maintenance, and enjoying life. And stop letting my weight determine how I feel about myself.

I have some new pain, and am having issues standing. Walking, sitting and laying is fine, but my butt muscle cramps really badly from standing, even for a few minutes. It started off as just being sore sometimes, and is worse an ever now. Focusing on stretching and massage until this clears up. After that I'd like to start weightlifting again because I enjoy it!

Hubby and I have started a new kind of contraceptive, the sponge. I don't do well on hormones, and condoms were...well....condoms lol! So far so good, we have only used them once, and at around $3 each, they certainly aren't the cheapest option. I think I want to TTC as soon as we get back from our vacation in December, and have the all clear regarding zika from a Doctor.