Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Restart LC, count calories?

2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @Suzqtme, using a blood glucose meter as a fuel gauge is such in interesting concept. I'm familiar with intermittent fasting, but not using a meter to determine when you should eat your next meal. I'm at the point where I find myself eating a meal just because it's mealtime even though I'm not really hungry. I may give this a try and see what happens.

!! Danger!!

Eating "just because" (it's that time, someone at work brought you a plate of fried Twinkies for your birthday, your in-laws want to see how many Hostess Snowballs you can fit in your mouth, etc.) when you're not hungry is a recipe for... well.... it's usually not weight loss.

Good insight - kudos for recognizing what your subconscious is up to!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I watch carbs like a hawk, and keep an eye on calories so I guess both.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I've been trying to count both calories and carbs, but there are a lot of days I've been over on calories in the past month or 2. My RMR is 1,607 according to online calculators, so I've been trying to target 1,400 + FitBit exercise adjustment calories.

Unfortunately, my appetite is much bigger than that. So while my carbs have been pretty good, I'm still over on calories more days than I would like. For example, I haven't had dinner yet and I'm super hungry (it's almost 3:30pm here), but I have only 283 calories left today. I'm thinking I'm going to be giving in to hunger and will be way over on calories today, despite that I still plan to stay fairly low carb (I'm at 29g now and think I'll be <50g even if I eat another 1K calories).

The good news is that going over on calories so frequently hasn't stalled weight loss. I'm not losing as fast as I want, but am averaging about 0.6 lbs. / week loss despite having a lot of days (maybe 1-2 per week) where I'm over my calorie goals. Before going low carb, a larger calculated deficit with much more rare occasions going over calories only yielded 0.19 lbs. / week loss on average... so I can't complain.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Jdkbs wrote: »
    How many here count calories along with LC?

Both. I count carbs to ensure my blood glucose doesn't spike. I count calories for weight loss. From Oct 2, 2015. (Down 70 lbs, with an ~3 month break at maintenance during cancer care.)

For me, the only thing that matters for weight loss is limiting intake. I can only do that by counting calories (or a calorie substitute - since fats (at least some) create cravings - not satiety. I also don't have the normal "hungry/full" sensors - so I could easily put away several thousand calories of low carb food (cheese/nut butters/Quest bars) without batting an eyelash.

Same here, but lately my appetite / hunger has really been getting the better of me and I'll put down a ton of low carb foods. Before going low carb, I once ate 9 lbs. of lettuce and only stopped because I ran out and didn't have anything else that was not calorie dense. Sometimes I see suggestions for things that are not calorie dense like watermelon, but the carbs in 1-2 regular sized watermelons is way too high for a low carb WOE.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    @midwesterner85 I understand that feeling. Everyone seems to have a version of a "fat bomb" which I think helps. I can have a cup of almond milk with a quarter cup of hwc for about 230 calories, but my belly feels like I just ate 1,000+. I have done this on a couple of those evenings where I have felt like what you are describing with good success at curbing how much "over" I went.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Jdkbs wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am restarting LC yet again. I hope that I have finally realized that this is a lifestyle and not give up after first slip up.

How many here count calories along with LC?
    Right from the start or later?

Only cause MFP makes me. I try not to look. It's ingrained. I also hate that "this food is high in calcium" is green. But "this food is high in saturated fat" is red. >:(