First Meet - Advice?

Options
Hello Powerlifters!

I just signed up for my first meet - RPS Worcester County Strength Bounty (push/pull) in January 2017. It's a beginner/novice meet so I'm hoping it's not too stressful and I learn a lot. I'm planning to finish out my current cycle of PH3 with 1RM testing on December 9th and then figure out how to peak for the last 5 weeks before the meet.

I'll be bulking right up to the meet since I weigh about 210 now and will try to get close to 220 by January.

I need to buy a singlet and was leaning towards getting the Titan Triumph. Any other recommendations?

This is all new to me so any other competition advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Zack

Replies

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Singlet-wise, not much difference unless you go equipped, it's all personal preference.

Comp Advice:

Diet for the day should be as you do now - I've sen far too many people ask "what do i eat on comp day" the Answer is the same as what you do on training days, Exceptions will be the hot meals you have at home, so pack something you'd take to work, or would take to eat during the day already..

Rules - Make sure your good on all the rules. Anything you don't know, ask. Make sure all your kit is regulation standard. Take challk as well, Just in case (I had a comp where they ran out once).

Training - Make sure all 3 lifts would pass. No high reps in training, Paused\Comp Style Bench first before rep work, and do not ever drop a deadlift. Closer to comp, increase specific training and drop the frequancy\assitance down (Less reps, few sets, heavy, down from 4+ assitance, to 1 or 2)

Rules 2 - On the day, ask anyone - Meet reps, Ref's? if there is anything in particular you need to know, Ask the competitors who've been there as well. Each comp has it's own little quirks, but all run the same rules.

Openers - It's key to get the right Opener. Soimething you can hit on a bad day, but heavy enough so that when you go for 2nd\3rd, you can increase accordingly. My rule of thumb was "what can i triple on a bad day" and that was always my Opener.

Coaching? - Not sure if you have a coach, or a experienced Person to help. But if you do, have them pick attempts, so you only have to focus on 1 thing - Lifting. ** I'd say at this stage, don't go finding a coach for this meet, unless you already have someone who A) knows how YOU lift, B) Knows the Powerlifting rules Just as changing this close to the comp is not good

Total - Don't worry about it. I know that may seem a bit out there, as Powerlifting is all about the total, but your first comp is a huge learning curve. Smash openers, Make sensible calls, Focus on geting the lifts in. The total will come...

Learning - You'll learn so much in that first few comps, it'll be unreal... be a sponge for the day!!!

Finally - Enjoy the day - It's one of the most supportive sports you'll ever do.

• DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options
    CarlKRobbo wrote: »
    Singlet-wise, not much difference unless you go equipped, it's all personal preference.

Comp Advice:

Diet for the day should be as you do now - I've sen far too many people ask "what do i eat on comp day" the Answer is the same as what you do on training days, Exceptions will be the hot meals you have at home, so pack something you'd take to work, or would take to eat during the day already..

Rules - Make sure your good on all the rules. Anything you don't know, ask. Make sure all your kit is regulation standard. Take challk as well, Just in case (I had a comp where they ran out once).

Training - Make sure all 3 lifts would pass. No high reps in training, Paused\Comp Style Bench first before rep work, and do not ever drop a deadlift. Closer to comp, increase specific training and drop the frequancy\assitance down (Less reps, few sets, heavy, down from 4+ assitance, to 1 or 2)

Rules 2 - On the day, ask anyone - Meet reps, Ref's? if there is anything in particular you need to know, Ask the competitors who've been there as well. Each comp has it's own little quirks, but all run the same rules.

Openers - It's key to get the right Opener. Soimething you can hit on a bad day, but heavy enough so that when you go for 2nd\3rd, you can increase accordingly. My rule of thumb was "what can i triple on a bad day" and that was always my Opener.

Coaching? - Not sure if you have a coach, or a experienced Person to help. But if you do, have them pick attempts, so you only have to focus on 1 thing - Lifting. ** I'd say at this stage, don't go finding a coach for this meet, unless you already have someone who A) knows how YOU lift, B) Knows the Powerlifting rules Just as changing this close to the comp is not good

Total - Don't worry about it. I know that may seem a bit out there, as Powerlifting is all about the total, but your first comp is a huge learning curve. Smash openers, Make sensible calls, Focus on geting the lifts in. The total will come...

Learning - You'll learn so much in that first few comps, it'll be unreal... be a sponge for the day!!!

Finally - Enjoy the day - It's one of the most supportive sports you'll ever do.

Thank you for all the advice!

I registered for the raw classic division so just a belt and wrist wraps are allowed. I contacted the meet director to see if any specific shoes or deadlift socks are required and he said RPS doesn't care about footwear so I can wear anything (or even lift barefoot). I have always lifted in Merrell Trail Gloves just because they're the flattest, least cushioned shoe that I own so that is what I'll wear for the meet.

I've read through the RPS rulebook a few times already and I think I'm pretty clear on the rules. It's just a push/pull meet so I don't have to worry about squats and hitting depth. I'm most nervous about blowing the commands on bench. I started doing paused bench in training instead of touch and go to get used to it.

I started thinking about my openers, but I'll have a much better idea of where I'm at when I retest my maxes on December 9th. I've never had a coach and I don't think anyone I know is going to the meet with me so I'll probably be there alone and will have to pick my 2nd and 3rd attempts.

I'm not focused on my total, but I would like to take advantage of the meet atmosphere and hit some PRs!