Not the standard way of starting, but does this make logical sense?

Options
I am still very much a newbie with this, so thanks everyone for being patient with my questions and trying to understand :)).

So before making an effort to make changes, I was consuming 1400 calories daily, combined with 4-5X a week of 30-45 min. cardio, and 2x 30 min weight training. So I am TEMPORARILY ceasing ALL cardio, doing NO EXERCISE for a month, and just eating the 1400 calories. Which means I am in-taking MORE than I was before, since the no cardio has me burning fewer calories. I plan on starting to had heavier strength training and no cardio in October and doing that for a month.

Do I get "credit" for increasing calories even though the way I am going about it this first month is by NOT doing cardio? Or does it have to be literally increasing food consumed? Trying to work my way into this gently. I have noticed that even with no cardio and eating 1400-1500 daily, I am staying about the same (130), so maybe I am moving towards my computer-generated TDEE of 1700.............

Am I off target here in my thinking?

Replies

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Slowing down on the cardio as in a change of strategy is a great idea, but I'm not so sure about stopping everything at once instead of increasing calories. Are you afraid of increasing lbs?
    How about lifting? Is there any specific reason other than trying to slow down your activity level so you don't have to eat?
    Eventually you will want to go back to working out and will have to eat more to sustain your activity. It just seems so much simpler to just eat a little more instead of changing everything all around.

The chances of success are way much bigger when you tackle one change at a time. We always recommend to change one thing (which would be to increase calories in your case) and only moving towards another when the first one becomes second nature.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You could add in calories very, very slowly too.

Are you wanting to stop all cardio or do you plan to add it back in later?
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm curious about a couple of things?!
    Is there a reason why you don't want to increase calories i.e. Stomach issues, freaked out by it, not sure how?
    Why have you been doing the cardio til this point?
    Have you forced yourself to do it to 'earn' extra calories for food? A tool for fat loss? Because you really love it?
    Got me pondering!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • misskitty0816
    misskitty0816 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, empressichel! OK............here goes. Why don't I want to increase calories..................I guess mainly because I'm not really that hungry and it feels like I am 'forcing' myself to eat, even though I KNOW intellectually that my body NEEDS more than 1400 calories per day. Second reason, it DOES freak me out thinking the scale is going to climb to infinity. As to the cardio - I actually enjoy it, it makes me feel better, and has always kind of been my 'me time' and escape, if you will. Does any of this help make sense of my situation? So hoping I can get it all figured out :)
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    Beverly and Sarah - I replied to you both earlier and it's not on here...............GRRRR!!! At any rate...........yes, going to try to start increasing SLOWLY, and didn't really think about it, Beverly Riley, an extra couple of hundred calories really aren't THAT much...............hmmmm.................I just know that 1400 calories is nowhere near where I need to be, but can't jump in 110% and need to do it slower so I don't completely freak out! :)
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    misskitty, I have taken more than a year to go from 500 calories to 2000 calories. I have actually lost weight while doing it! The last two weeks I have been lucky to hit 1900/day, but I realize that I am a work in progress and I didn't quit eating over night, I'm not going to be able to increase eating over night either! Once I let go of the guilt it has been soo much easier, and while I'm not going to push myself to eat the 2356 my estimated TDEE says I should be eating to maintain my weight, I'm still going to push myself to eat just a few extra when I can. Another problem I have is that my protein levels have to be kept low due to kidney failure. (That I believe stems in part from not eating nearly enough)
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @misskitty0816 I have been following @scaryann1 thread, amazing story. I am very impressed with the accomplishments made so far.

I was also very nervous about gaining weight once I increased my intake. I have not gained anything in 3 weeks. I have much more energy and I have been able to up my weights during my workout without falling asleep by 7pm. I finally gave in and recorded my weight and measurements so I have something to compare it to. I can tell you that I have lost inches at my chest and hips. I have to hook my bras tighter and can grab about a fist full of material at the seat of most of my pants. So I know that I have lost inches, but the scale has not budged. I would rather look and feel "hot" and have the scale not show it than the other way around. Seven years ago I lost about 45 pounds in less than 5 months during my divorce, loosing it that fast, it didn't stay off and I was "skinny fat". I looked thin but I ate maybe 500 calories a day and slept maybe 2-3 hours a day. It took about a year for me to eat normal as well as my then boyfriend, now hubby urging me to eat more than once a day. Seven years later I look and feel better at 171 pounds that I did at 135 pounds of skinny fat. I am healthy and getting fit and doing it the right way.

It is hard to add the calories and change your mindset. You didn't get this way over night so you won't change over night. Remember....breathe.....trust....breathe. This to shall pass.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Ok! Thanks for replying.
    The answer on the calories then is to do it slowly. Your body will adjust better this way and you are less likely to gain any weight.
    Just add 50-100 calories then eat that amount for 4 weeks. Then see where you are. During this process don't just judge progress on the scale. Take note of how you feel. Mood, energy, sleep, libido, skin, hair, nails. Our bodies have lots of ways of letting us know they are liking more food.
    As for the cardio, if you love it, keep doing it! This lifestyle is all about doing what you love, so you can do it forever.
    However, the more cardio you do, the more you will have to eat.
    As you are finding even a low number hard (which is totally normal BTW) it would be wise to dial back the cardio while you are trying to increase calories.
    Just take things steady at your own pace and post here with any questions or concerns as we are all here to support you through the process.
    Ichel
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    scaryann1 wrote: »
    misskitty, I have taken more than a year to go from 500 calories to 2000 calories. I have actually lost weight while doing it! The last two weeks I have been lucky to hit 1900/day, but I realize that I am a work in progress and I didn't quit eating over night, I'm not going to be able to increase eating over night either! Once I let go of the guilt it has been soo much easier, and while I'm not going to push myself to eat the 2356 my estimated TDEE says I should be eating to maintain my weight, I'm still going to push myself to eat just a few extra when I can. Another problem I have is that my protein levels have to be kept low due to kidney failure. (That I believe stems in part from not eating nearly enough)

WOWWWW, what an accomplishment! From 500 to 2000 in that lengthy time period? Congrats! I have been struggling to get 1500, but today when I logged what I ate, I had almost 1800 and am starting to feel really hungry again.............i think my body is craving food, I really do. I haven't gained anything so far and I am definitely eating more and not doing ANY of my usual cardio..............though it's only been a few short weeks. I'm doing like you and trying to eat a few extra when I can. I have the opposite issue with protein - need a lot but cannot seem to pack it all in. It has been so good hearing from others...............that you for sharing!

• misskitty0816
    Options
    Ok! Thanks for replying.
    The answer on the calories then is to do it slowly. Your body will adjust better this way and you are less likely to gain any weight.
    Just add 50-100 calories then eat that amount for 4 weeks. Then see where you are. During this process don't just judge progress on the scale. Take note of how you feel. Mood, energy, sleep, libido, skin, hair, nails. Our bodies have lots of ways of letting us know they are liking more food.
    As for the cardio, if you love it, keep doing it! This lifestyle is all about doing what you love, so you can do it forever.
    However, the more cardio you do, the more you will have to eat.
    As you are finding even a low number hard (which is totally normal BTW) it would be wise to dial back the cardio while you are trying to increase calories.
    Just take things steady at your own pace and post here with any questions or concerns as we are all here to support you through the process.
    Ichel

YES, I am already struggling to add more so I figured I would be struggling even more if I had to add back in more because of cardio.................I definitely am going to do the slow approach and just see how it goes. I don't think I would have the courage to do it if I hadn't read so many of the experiences here and knowing that I can post and somebody really 'gets' what I am trying to do! I definitely am going to keep sharing.................and am so grateful for everybody's support and feedback!

• misskitty0816
    Options
    @misskitty0816 I have been following @scaryann1 thread, amazing story. I am very impressed with the accomplishments made so far.

I was also very nervous about gaining weight once I increased my intake. I have not gained anything in 3 weeks. I have much more energy and I have been able to up my weights during my workout without falling asleep by 7pm. I finally gave in and recorded my weight and measurements so I have something to compare it to. I can tell you that I have lost inches at my chest and hips. I have to hook my bras tighter and can grab about a fist full of material at the seat of most of my pants. So I know that I have lost inches, but the scale has not budged. I would rather look and feel "hot" and have the scale not show it than the other way around. Seven years ago I lost about 45 pounds in less than 5 months during my divorce, loosing it that fast, it didn't stay off and I was "skinny fat". I looked thin but I ate maybe 500 calories a day and slept maybe 2-3 hours a day. It took about a year for me to eat normal as well as my then boyfriend, now hubby urging me to eat more than once a day. Seven years later I look and feel better at 171 pounds that I did at 135 pounds of skinny fat. I am healthy and getting fit and doing it the right way.

It is hard to add the calories and change your mindset. You didn't get this way over night so you won't change over night. Remember....breathe.....trust....breathe. This to shall pass.

Congrats on your successes!! That is WONDERFUL! :)))))))))))))))))) This inspires me so much :))).
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    Hello, everyone................I am at the one-month mark of eating around 1500 calories (was previously around 1300-1350 FOR YEARS) - working my way up to my TDEE of 2000. I have gained 1.8 pounds in the last month due to the increase in calories. Do I continue a few more weeks of 1500 before bumping it up again? Also, am meeting with a professional trainer who is also going to be working with me throughout the rest of the year, so will also consult with her. THoughts on my next steps and the weight gain? BMI still 21 and body fat around 25-26% depending on the day with the bioimpedance scales.
  • brileylmt
    Options
    You are doing a great job on working towards your TDEE. I'm glad you found a trainer that you are comfortable with.
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    @beverlyriley900 , she is going to be WONDERFUL! Unlike others in the past who have said "eat less, move more," she calculated my TDEE which was pretty much the same TDEE as the online estimate I used, which is GREAT - she is NOT encouraging me to eat less, but MORE - cannot wait to get started with her! I see her next week! :)))
  • brileylmt
    Options
    She sounds like a great trainer and a good resource for keeping on track
  • empressichel
    Options
    Yay for great trainers!
    Glad she wants you to eat more too. Keep gradually increasing up to your TDEE and make sure that if you are doing more workouts with your new trainer, that you eat for that new activity level too.
    Good luck with the trainer! Keep us posted!
    Ichel
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a good start! Im so glad you have a trainer who understands who tdee works, so hard to find those trainers!

Think of your 50-100 cals as something very small. Basically its like eating an apple.. or a yogurt or a tbls of PB. None of these should make you feel really full to add it in, but the end result will get your cals up there. Keep going!!

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator