First 5x5 yesterday kicked my bootaay! How am I supposed to do that again tomorrow?

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    tribal351 wrote: »
    The way to get over the soreness is to re-frame it. I was a gym rat for years, even though I don't look much like it now. I learned to love the pain. Pain-progress. When the pain from working out didn't happen, I would push harder the next day to make sure I was actually doing something beneficial. Even today I love that feeling of muscle soreness that comes with exertion.

I get that. I do love feeling it because I know I worked myself hard. I just didn't know how to best deal with it so I could get through another day. :smile:
    Feeling ok tonight. Bought some Epsom salt for a bath tonight.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I get that. I do love feeling it because I know I worked myself hard. I just didn't know how to best deal with it so I could get through another day. :smile:

It gets better I promise! :) I knew thought I would enjoy strength training so much but I do! It makes me feel strong and accomplished . A mini She-Ra (lol) I wonder if anyone remembers her?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

It gets better I promise! :) I knew thought I would enjoy strength training so much but I do! It makes me feel strong and accomplished . A mini She-Ra (lol) I wonder if anyone remembers her?

That's what I'm hoping for. If anything will be motivating enough to hold my interest it will be this!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ how was the second session?

I used to like workout A better than B but I'm progressing more in workout B so I like it better now lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Wasn't She-Ra basically He-Man's boobied counterpart?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I used to like workout A better than B but I'm progressing more in workout B so I like it better now lol

It went well. I was able to go up to 50lb on the squats and complete the deadlift with a few lower weight warmups too. But I couldn't do the 45lb OH press. I could only do like 2! Lol
    There was a small bar with weights attached that I used instead for only 20lbs, which was actually too easy. But I'll use their 30lb one next time. There isn't an option between 30 and the 45lb empty bar, so that's likely to be a tough transition.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

It went well. I was able to go up to 50lb on the squats and complete the deadlift with a few lower weight warmups too. But I couldn't do the 45lb OH press. I could only do like 2! Lol
    There was a small bar with weights attached that I used instead for only 20lbs, which was actually too easy. But I'll use their 30lb one next time. There isn't an option between 30 and the 45lb empty bar, so that's likely to be a tough transition.

Yeah, OHP is hard - I find that one people struggle with the most, especially women because we are generally stronger in our lower bodies. Also, the muscles involved in the OHP are much smaller than the ones involved in deadlifts and squats so that also makes it hard to progress.

I've had to deload and work my way back up - and actually change from 5x5 to 3x5. I am looking into getting fractional weights so the increase is only a pound or two rather than the five pound jump.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Switching to overhead dumbbell pressing could help get you through the gap between 30 and 45. I'm actually going to start rocking these again soon, using a swing to get the dumbbells to the shoulders, since odds are that you can always press more than you can curl.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    My gym is limited in options for a lower weight for me on that one. There isn't a rack that I can pull the bar from either so I pick it up from the floor to start. But, that's not really an issue since that weight is so low.
    I don't know how I would be able to get heavy dumbells to my shoulders to start.
    The smaller bars like the 20lb i used are fixed weights...
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My gym is limited in options for a lower weight for me on that one. There isn't a rack that I can pull the bar from either so I pick it up from the floor to start. But, that's not really an issue since that weight is so low.
    I don't know how I would be able to get heavy dumbells to my shoulders to start.

You get them up by literally swinging them forward and up, and moving yourself underneath while they are aloft to catch them on your shoulders, or clean them up, a la Saxon:

"The muscles called into play are practically the same here as in the one-handed snatch, but the bell must be placed on and between the feet as shown in illustration. Keep the head down, then, with a perfectly straight arm, pull up, using a combination of muscular efforts and concentration as described in the snatch lift. Lean back and watch the dumb-bell with your eyes, and when it is at a suitable height suddenly dip beneath same and twist your wrist violently, so that you may place a straight arm beneath the bell."

ETA: for reference http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/strongman-profile-arthur-saxon-teaches-us-the-dumbbell-swing
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Edit: Nevermind. Gallowmere has it. My phone is stupid slow.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

You get them up by literally swinging them forward and up, and moving yourself underneath while they are aloft to catch them on your shoulders, or clean them up, a la Saxon:

"The muscles called into play are practically the same here as in the one-handed snatch, but the bell must be placed on and between the feet as shown in illustration. Keep the head down, then, with a perfectly straight arm, pull up, using a combination of muscular efforts and concentration as described in the snatch lift. Lean back and watch the dumb-bell with your eyes, and when it is at a suitable height suddenly dip beneath same and twist your wrist violently, so that you may place a straight arm beneath the bell."

ETA: for reference http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/strongman-profile-arthur-saxon-teaches-us-the-dumbbell-swing

So, you just do that with both bells at the same time then right? Idk about that. Lol
    I'm not super graceful
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Yeah, OHP is hard - I find that one people struggle with the most, especially women because we are generally stronger in our lower bodies. Also, the muscles involved in the OHP are much smaller than the ones involved in deadlifts and squats so that also makes it hard to progress.

I've had to deload and work my way back up - and actually change from 5x5 to 3x5. I am looking into getting fractional weights so the increase is only a pound or two rather than the five pound jump.

Maybe 3x5 will be possible once I get past 30lb.
    Then just work up from there...
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I usually work through it. Just warm up properly (and I mean PROPERLY, like a good while longer than usual) before you start. It's only the first week or two usually.

Not for me. I get sore every single time I work out.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    p5tpon2eppxs.jpg

Feel better soon! :)

>:) or o:)

Yeah, this is me at least 4-5 days every week. :/:'(:(
  • ladipoet
    Options

You are indeed correct sir!
  • genmon00
    Options

yes she's my hero lol
  • genmon00
    Options
    love it! Great job!
  • jassnip
    jassnip Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have found your exercise bug. Congrats. and continue all the wonderful work.