Food For Thought

Options

Replies

• Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Maybe he could not maintain his goal weight anymore?
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I read this earlier this morning; but through a different news group.

So basically the only person who has made any money from Oprah jumping on the WW bandwagon is Oprah. My guess is that, once she's no longer making money, she'll be gone too. Reading between the lines (and keeping in mind that I'm just having my coffee) it sounds as if the CEO was the CEO in name/title only. I think we all know who the REAL power is behind WW right now.

Maybe Gayle King will become the new CEO. Or Stedman Graham. Whoever it is, you can bet it will be someone Oprah has in her pocket.

Can you tell I'm not a big proponent of Oprah? LOL
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well, Oprah only made a crapton of money if she sold the stock at its high. She's made money but not nearly what the 'paper gains' were last year.

The question is whether bringing in Steadman or Gayle will right this ship. Or anybody else. It's not that it can't be done. It's just that they need to get past their identity crisis and forge ahead.

Once they pick a direction.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Yeah I hope WW doesn't close its doors over this. I think that the big problem which has been alluded to here has been integrating information technology better and also jumping on the latest "dãmn the carbs/sugar" bandwagon du jour. I like my WW meeting group.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this isn't positive for continued CEO employment: "Nearly $1 billion of market valuation has been erased at Weight Watchers since ... last fall."
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,011 Member
    Options
    A return to a PP type plan in January?
  • podkey
    Options
    Maybe back to soda crackers and water for the employees holiday meal this year???
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Podkey brings up an interesting point, reinforced by the linked article below. Which is that WW has strayed some from its strength- the meetings. The problems with their online product offerings were several, including poor execution, confusing offerings, late entry to the marketplace and trying to sell a premium model in a free-content world.

I suppose Oprah could take credit for the significant drop in percentage revenue decline (year over year) in Q1 2016. Of course, after last year's declines, the baseline had dropped pretty low, so not much solace there either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-09-13/weight-watchers-ceo-resigns-more-help-wanted
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hoping they recover. find a visionary CEO that can insure they execute well and come up with an even better plan. I still like WW because it allowed me to get to where I am today, I'm sure I could maintain my weight loss without them, but I'd prefer not to at this time. I've worked for and have invested in companies in similar positions financially and have seen recovery with a new CEO, thus hoping they bounce back up and set the ship in the right direction.
  • podkey
    Options
    There are folks who still benefit from meetings and the F2F reinforcement. That was the basis for WW and they don't compete with the free aps for do it yourselfers. I probably could maintain without them but do enjoy my group.