Living the Lifestyle - Tues., Sept. 13th

Options
60in2017
60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- crewahl / Charlie
Tuesday --60in2017 / Millie
Wednesday -- minimyzeme / Kim
Thursday -- MICHGOLFER2 / Jane
Friday --Jimb376mfp / Jim

Today's topic: Body dysmorphia. The definition, according to the Mayo Clinic: “Body dysmorphic disorder is a mental disorder in which you can't stop thinking about one or more perceived defects or flaws in your appearance — a flaw that, to others, is either minor or not observable. But you may feel so ashamed and anxious that you may avoid many social situations.

When you have body dysmorphic disorder, you intensely obsess over your appearance and body image, repeatedly checking the mirror, grooming or seeking reassurance, sometimes for many hours each day. Your perceived flaw and the repetitive behaviors cause you significant distress, and impact your ability to function in your daily life.”

So, what do you think? Have you had problems with this due to your weight? Maybe not to extend that it’s a “disorder” but a challenge you face? If so, has it improved with weight loss or even the effort of weight loss?

Replies

• spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think that I have Anti-Body dysmorphia. When I look in the mirror, I still see that in shape, twenty something that I once was a loooong time ago. As far as problems with this due to my weight, I usually think that "I look good or OK" but in reality, I do not. I guess that it is better than focusing on perceived flaws. Thinking this way probably has not helped my weight loss efforts.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So, let's step back for a moment and consider the distinction between body dysmorphia and Body Dysmorphic Disorder. In the former, one identifies and thinks about a perceived deficiency in their body appearance (note the word perceived here). In the latter, one obsesses over a relatively slight deficiency and acts repetitively on that obsession and that the distress significantly impairs social, occupational or other life function.

As you note, the disorder is predicated upon "one or more perceived defects or flaws in your appearance- a flaw that, to others, is either minor or not observable."

The reason this is so important is that, almost by definition, people who obsess over their appearance and who have grossly abnormal appearance (such as obesity), don't have BDD. They may have other psychological/psychiatric disorders, but it's not BDD. And if the weight issue is not significant but the individual thinks they have a significant abnormality of appearance upon which they're acting (usually by altering ingestion) due to excess weight then it's more likely an Eating Disorder. The real question is 'do you struggle with your body image' and has that changed with your weight loss?

So to answer your question, no, I don't have the disorder. But yes, I can get very focused on small flaws. To the point that I have changed clothes when I looked in the mirror (which I do at every mirror that I encounter) and felt 'unflattered'. Or put clothes on when I looked at and observed all of my naked body's defects. I have intermittently had periods where I was very unhappy with how I perceived I appeared, generally better with weight but occasionally made worse by the fact that my weight is where it should be. Or that when I lost even more the 'defects' didn't go away- they were just compounded by being too thin and hungry all the time. OTOH, time has been a much more effective facilitator; as I've aged, my perspective on my appearance has improved significantly, even though my appearance (more wrinkles and a fewer hairs notwithstanding) hasn't really changed.

But you generally don't have a problem with dysmorphia when you're grossly overweight. Because in that case, the appearance deficiency you perceive is firmly rooted in reality.

Unless, of course, the source of your dysmorphia is not being fat.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I think @countcurt raised some important points on the distinction between the definitions. I definitely find myself self-checking in mirrors, changing clothes if I feel they are unflattering, focusing on cellulite (but seriously-what woman doesn't get frustrated by this?), etc. However, I don't feel I have BDD since these don't impair my life functions (example-my cellulite does not prevent me from going to the beach).

As a woman, I've also noticed that my body image vastly changes from day to day. My weight doesn't vary much, but one day I could wake up feeling like a land whale and the next I could feel pretty hot. I largely blame hormones. Reminding myself of this helps to put things in perspective on the bad days and remember that my body is awesome, flaws and all.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't have it in the form of a disorder, but I do have an issue with body image at times. First when I gained weight (as I was gaining) I thought "oh I'm still OK, not happy with how I look, but I think I carry it well enough".

Since I lost weight, I find periodically I think I look very good, thin and fit. Other times I think I don't look much different than I did with 60+ pounds extra on me.

A couple things play into it, one...I swear mirrors in stores, hotels etc. make you look thinner and the mirror (full length) on my closet door is either real or makes me look bigger. I can't figure out if it is a head thing for me or reality it is a mystery but it definitely plays with my mind.

The second item is related to me wanting to do more toning exercises because I need to build muscle, when I don't do them I think that is when my head gets to me and I look at myself and see flaws to my muscle tone and how my clothes fit and anything else I can pick on.

These are not everyday events, but they pop up periodically and sort of bug me when they do. :)

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    No problems with this.

My big problem was seeing myself in the mirror and thinking I looked ok when in reality I am way to big. This has really come to light since we installed a surveillance system in our office. When I look back at video footage of me coming in to the office in the morning, it is almost unbelievable that that is actually me.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this for awhile now, which is why I posted the question. I had never looked up the definition, I just had someone tell me I had body dysmorphia because I didn't see the reality of my body, but a distorted image. Glad I looked it up, because I learned something.

I am guilty of just about everything they mention on the Mayo Clinic website, except the "perceived" part. I have been obese (now I'm overweight according to the BMI scale). I still don't seem to see what others see or what the reality of my body is. I usually think I'm either thinner or fatter - never what's actually there. I am hoping someone who's been at goal weight for awhile can say eventually, the two mental images (thin versus fat) merge and reality starts to stare back at me.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    60in2017 wrote: »
    I still don't seem to see what others see or what the reality of my body is. I usually think I'm either thinner or fatter - never what's actually there. I am hoping someone who's been at goal weight for awhile can say eventually, the two mental images (thin versus fat) merge and reality starts to stare back at me.

The point is that many of us have some degree of discordance when it comes to body image. I think the reality for some (or many) of us in this group is that it takes time for our brains to 'catch up' with our bodies. In either direction on the scale (so, as pointed out above, you might see a less flawed appearance when you're going up and the flaws may become disproportionately apparent as you're losing). At lower weights I am more acutely aware of small changes and how they alter appearance, so the impact of those changes is magnified in my head. Over time (7.5 years at goal weight), there is some degree of convergence. Not 100%, but quite a bit.
  • Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    BDD, No.

Problems yes. However I did come to accept my condition body (the good and the bad) years ago. Do I like it now, No! But that is why I trying to make changes with this lifestyle. I don't typically look at myself in mirrors. I was in a class and they video taped tings we did, that was the eye opener where I saw me as Foghorn Leghorn..... A real big body and a little itty-bitty head. That just got me more angry with myself for letting me go back there again.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have at times lived in denial while wearing clothes. I think that it may be more common for guys to think of themselves as "large boned", "husky", or just a little extra gut when they are at the border of being clinically "obese" and beyond. I didn't want to be seen in a swimsuit at that level. Yeah I am not going to be that "hot 30 year old" anymore. True dat.

Now I feel pretty good about my appearance especially in some of my clothes and am "OK" with being in a swimsuit.

I do worry about a lot about women in particular who have DMD and other mental problems centered around weight. It can be very very serious.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Like Bob, I lived in denial for a long time - but any defects I've obsessed over had to be glaringly obvious for me to notice them in the first place.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    The point is that many of us have some degree of discordance when it comes to body image. I think the reality for some (or many) of us in this group is that it takes time for our brains to 'catch up' with our bodies. In either direction on the scale (so, as pointed out above, you might see a less flawed appearance when you're going up and the flaws may become disproportionately apparent as you're losing). At lower weights I am more acutely aware of small changes and how they alter appearance, so the impact of those changes is magnified in my head. Over time (7.5 years at goal weight), there is some degree of convergence. Not 100%, but quite a bit.

100% agree
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,976 Member
    Options
    Some one once told me that men all think they look better than they do, women all think they look worse. Comments on this thread seem to follow that observation. My wife constantly complains of being fat. She is 5 feet tall and weighs 102. I, on the other hand, was content with my appearance at 6 feet and 221. It was health issues that led me to drop more than 50 lbs., not body image.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I was in the anti- dysmorphia camp. I was a fat slob for years. I had to start caring how I looked to lose weight.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I still "see" myself as the thin, fit person I was until my late twenties or early thirties. I didn't think of myself as obese at my highest weight, and I still don't have that mental picture of myself, even though the mirror tells me otherwise. Sometimes, even while looking at myself in the mirror, I don't think I see myself accurately. I don't know where that fits with all that has been discussed.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Following @countcurt 's distinction, according to that definition, I certainly don't have the disorder and never did. With respect to body image, prior to WW and losing weight, I was very self-conscious about my body shape and size, even though in many ways I carried it well. It was never an obsession but always a 'so-noted', with barbs, or so it seemed. Every time I had reason to confront it (dressing up, bumping up a size, etc.), it stung. I think at that point, I considered it a lost cause because it didn't translate to a change in eating/drinking behavior. It almost seemed to do just the opposite. I lived with the body I had...and made it bigger. Pretty much a non-stop cycle of deep-down shame, at least on a periodic basis. It didn't rule my day but it and my behavior were really a cycle of dislike, feed the beast, and dislike myself more when I kept getting bigger.

In my new body, I am much less critical of myself. I don't kid myself to think I'm completely opposite of where I started out but I'm proud of myself for losing the weight and definitely much happier in a body that is more height-weight proportional and can function much better.