GOAD on the Run - New Runner Wednesday 9/14

shenry111
shenry111 Posts: 4,272 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

QOTD: While thinking of new runners, or people returning to running after awhile off, what motivates you to want to run? Are you running to lose weight? Are you running for the mental benefits? Are you running to get more fit, or to stay fit? Why do you run?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Why do I run? I ask myself that when I'm out in the summer heat and humidity feeling absolutely miserable.

I find it a great way to improve my cardiovascular fitness. I like the mental aspects especially on those quiet mornings when I have the trails to myself and can just enjoy nature. And in the winter it is one of the few ways I can stay warm enough while being outside. Biking in the cold is a miserable experience for me.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    I run for general fitness and weight management. I enjoy other activities too, but running is my favorite. Stealing some of Regina's answer, I like being in touch with the elements and being alone with my thoughts. I also enjoy running with friends (though I've been doing less of that lately since backing away from marathon training). Running has been good to me. I've met people, gone places, and experienced things because of running that would not have happened otherwise.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Another reason I run is so that I can do snowshoe races! Just got the save the date email for the race series coming up in January in Wisconsin.

Winters go by much faster now that I have activities that I enjoy doing outdoors.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,272 Member
    I run because it helps me with my fitness and weight. The PRIMARY reason I run is that it helps me with my sanity. I really can tell the difference with my depression when I don't run. I don't know if it is hormones, or what that makes the difference, but I certainly feel better mentally when I run.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    I run because there is a fat guy chasing me. And I think he's gaining. :s
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    I run to lose weight. I run to relieve stress. I run because I feel better after I am done. I run because I was the slow, fat kid in school that was rarely faster than anyone. I run because I like the feeling of running and being able to run. I run so that when I weigh myself, I know that running helped with the result. I run so that all my other daily activities are easier to accomplish. I run to try and get better, go farther, and beat my PR. I run because I can.