Am I crazy? Logged my intake today and had 1759 calories and am freaking out (usually eat 1400)

Options
So I have been on the 'eat more' plan for 2 weeks now trying to add SLOWLY (i.e., 50-100 for a couple of weeks) - I have been eating for years at around 1400 which is way lower than the predicted for me (I am 5 '6" and 130 pounds, maintained on 1400 calories and too much cardio). I am trying to get up to at least 1800 a day, but don't want to go anywhere near 1800 for a while.............just stick at 1500 for at least a month or two...now that I actually DID IT (got up to 1800, or close to it) for ONE DAY, I am freaking out! 1800 seems like sooooo many calories. I feel like I have just gorged on food at 1800 calories a day, even though the logical side of me says "1800 calories is NOT that much"................am I right? 1800 calories is NOT binge-level eating, right?!?! Why am I freaking out about this?? You would think I had eaten 5,000 calories of junk, not 1800 of well-rounded meals and snacks. So why am i freaking out???

Replies

• scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh so hard! You are not crazy. I still remember the first time I hit 2300 calories, I freaked out too! I have only hit that once or twice, but still. I never dreamed I could eat that much in one day. Three days maybe, but never in one. I confess, I actually hit 2200 today. Thanks to a bag of Cracker Jacks. LOL At one time I would have felt so, so guilty over eating that whole bag and would have skipped eating the next day to make up for it. Today I can eat that bag and say... "wow I ate all that and only went 50 calories over my daily goal. Amazing!" The mental game we play with ourselves is the hardest part of this whole process in my opinion! Enjoy these little victories.

My second calorie increase freaked me out even more than the first one did. My first increase I doubled my intake from 500 to 1000. That one didn't phase me much because I was eating them all in one or two meals. The next increase I only went up 200-500 more but found myself starving for more on some days. I did not want to go over that 1500 calories a day. I fought it with my whole being. I kicked, I screamed, and I cried. I cried a LOT. Then I gave in... one week I ate 1600, then 1700, then 2000, back down to 1700. Like I said I'm a work in progress. I can't remember where I read that but I've found it to be so true and that attitude has helped me in so many ways. It just sounds so good doesn't it? "I am a work in progress" it says to me that I can always change what I'm working on if one thing isn't working, it's okay to change and try something else. It's so freeing. :smiley: Okay, I've rambled on enough for one night.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot because of where you started. Just because you ate 1800 today doesn't mean you need to jump up to 1800 every day. Obviously you were hungry! You can go back to increasing slowly.

My tdee is 2400 and it used to seem like a ton of food, but now I'm all : "damn, have to edit a few things out to get down to 2400." Lol
  • misskitty0816
    misskitty0816 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    scaryann1 wrote: »
    This made me laugh so hard! You are not crazy. I still remember the first time I hit 2300 calories, I freaked out too! I have only hit that once or twice, but still. I never dreamed I could eat that much in one day. Three days maybe, but never in one. I confess, I actually hit 2200 today. Thanks to a bag of Cracker Jacks. LOL At one time I would have felt so, so guilty over eating that whole bag and would have skipped eating the next day to make up for it. Today I can eat that bag and say... "wow I ate all that and only went 50 calories over my daily goal. Amazing!" The mental game we play with ourselves is the hardest part of this whole process in my opinion! Enjoy these little victories.

My second calorie increase freaked me out even more than the first one did. My first increase I doubled my intake from 500 to 1000. That one didn't phase me much because I was eating them all in one or two meals. The next increase I only went up 200-500 more but found myself starving for more on some days. I did not want to go over that 1500 calories a day. I fought it with my whole being. I kicked, I screamed, and I cried. I cried a LOT. Then I gave in... one week I ate 1600, then 1700, then 2000, back down to 1700. Like I said I'm a work in progress. I can't remember where I read that but I've found it to be so true and that attitude has helped me in so many ways. It just sounds so good doesn't it? "I am a work in progress" it says to me that I can always change what I'm working on if one thing isn't working, it's okay to change and try something else. It's so freeing. :smiley: Okay, I've rambled on enough for one night.

YES! "Work in Progress"..................I like that!!! I KNEW in theory that I would eventually be up to 1700 or 1800, but when the rubber met the road and I actually ATE that much one day, it freaked me out! I WANT to be able to eat at that level ALL of the time, which is why I am trying this EM2WL process.............but yet when I do it for the first time, I freak out! I KNOW IN MY MIND that 1800 calories is not binge-eating...................I think the rational side of me and the emotional side of me have a time lag, lol.......................and its time for the two to finally meet! :))) I imagine today I will be back at 1500 (which is the increase of 100 daily I am going for)..........yesterday was at a conference and didn't realize how much I was eating since I couldn't log it in until that night after all three meals had passed. "Work in progress".................going to remember those words!
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    It seems like a lot because of where you started. Just because you ate 1800 today doesn't mean you need to jump up to 1800 every day. Obviously you were hungry! You can go back to increasing slowly.

My tdee is 2400 and it used to seem like a ton of food, but now I'm all : "damn, have to edit a few things out to get down to 2400." Lol

YES, you are right..................I will probably be back down to the 1500 (see my comment to scaryann about the conference and how I wound up so high! :))) I thought I read somewhere that occasional 'big' spikes in calories can actually HELP the metabolic process??? Can't remember where I saw it, but it sure can't hurt as much as continually consuming too few! :)))))))))) I cannot imagine 2400 calories per day............1800 (after years of only 1400) is still overwhelming to me! Just can't believe I am actually HUNGRY now, vs. before with the 1400, I never really was.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There is some thought out there that having a high spike in cals on one day can result in a jump in metabolism. We prefer just keeping things simple and just aim for your daily target and keep it stable through the week, rather than trying to figure out which day in your week to spike up. But if you do happen to "overeat" one day, it Honestly will not damage your week.

Its good you got a sense of what 1800 feels like. Its totally normal to be freaked out, most of us feel that way the first time we increase or even after many increases. I freaked the first time I upped from 1400 to 2000... then again at 2400 and again at 2800 and once more at 3200.. But once you commit to eating the number you are supposed to and you do it consistently, your body adjusts and it welcomes the additional calories!
    Dont fear that increase, especially if you arent ready to jump there right away. The one day will not ruin your efforts at all.. if you want to take it slowly then just continue your days eating 1500 and make your increase come as you are ready.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    There is some thought out there that having a high spike in cals on one day can result in a jump in metabolism. We prefer just keeping things simple and just aim for your daily target and keep it stable through the week, rather than trying to figure out which day in your week to spike up. But if you do happen to "overeat" one day, it Honestly will not damage your week.

Its good you got a sense of what 1800 feels like. Its totally normal to be freaked out, most of us feel that way the first time we increase or even after many increases. I freaked the first time I upped from 1400 to 2000... then again at 2400 and again at 2800 and once more at 3200.. But once you commit to eating the number you are supposed to and you do it consistently, your body adjusts and it welcomes the additional calories!
    Dont fear that increase, especially if you arent ready to jump there right away. The one day will not ruin your efforts at all.. if you want to take it slowly then just continue your days eating 1500 and make your increase come as you are ready.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator

YES, it felt very different eating THAT many calories! I am finding that with these small increases (50-100) and ZERO exercise (wayyy different than my lengthy cardio from before) that my body just seems HUNGRY all of the time. I am sure it is because it needs the food. As weird as it is to say, I almost can "feel" my metabolism increasing. I know that isn't literally possible, but I just feel like I have more energy, I am warm instead of cold all of the time,a nd I truly just feel like it IS increasing. Set my "goal" as 1450 and shooting for 1450-1500 the next two weeks, then going to bump it up again. That one day really threw me off, but I still haven't gained anything. I really would be happy to stay at 130 if I can increase my needs to over 1400. Thank you for your feedback, Kelly!

• TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The "warm feeling" is one of the first signs that thinks are changing in your body. Yes, you will feel hungry and that's ok, that's perfectly normal. What's not ok is expecting not to feel hungry while under eating, that's not normal.
    WTG on upping the calories, keep up with the good work!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Metabolism is heat basically - of the processes going on.

Even after eating, the increase in heat from the ingesting the food and process it takes about 10% of calories eaten, and while not a part of metabolism strictly speaking, you'll many time feel that heat increase too.

So sure you can feel it - by exactly what you are seeing.
  • misskitty0816
    Options
    Thank you, @heybales and @TerezaToledo . I definitely feel SOMETHING when I am eating - HUNGER, first of all, and second, just feeling revved up and "warm" for lack of a better word. Glad to know that it is probably what I think it is! :))

I am eating between 1450 and 1500 and have gained about a pound now, though some days it is back down to where I have gained zero (so probably just regular fluctuations). I can't stand being inactive, though, and want to get back to being active, but am afraid of shutting down my metabolism again since I KNOW I am not mentally prepared to eat more than 1500. Wondering if I should start a separate post, as I am wondering if I can keep eating like this 1450-1500 AND go ahead and add the strength training without jeopardizing my metabolism?
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @misskitty0816 Hopefully my reply on your other post answered this question?
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator