Quest Nutrition MCT Powder Oil

stefne888
stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
Hi All,

Anyone tried this? The reviews on Amazon say it's a Keto staple.

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    edited September 2016
    i use mct oil in bulletproof coffee and some teaspoons of the stuff here and there to up the calories if I need to. the benefits of mct oil can be easily googled. i don't think brands make that much of a difference.

however, watch the environmental impact you have, as its main ingredient is palm kernel oil. palm oil plantations are a major contributor to catastrophic deforestation.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Additionally, to get it to a powder form, they have to process it to very heavy levels - and then there are additives to make it a powder, etc. I have seen coconut oil in 1 oz packets, and MCT is available very readily (even Walmart carries it, incognito)... Unless you have a specific reason to require this in powder form, you would do much better to keep it in the least processed form, etc.
  • stefne888
    I was just thinking it would be good for smoothies.
  • KnitOrMiss
    As long as you blend thoroughly, MCT oil is shelf stable and stays liquid, and I've made shakes in the blender and left them in the fridge for a few days, and even with melted coconut oil and/or MCT oil, once it is properly blended, I've not had it separate back out. I think this is primarily a marketing thing, and not necessary if you're making a smoothie at home each day at all.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Love MCT oil (liquid form) for BPC and dressing. Trying to find new ways to use it. Tried frying eggs once in it and it didn't really work, moved on to ghee now and bacon grease for that. But MCT oil as a powder...how is that possible? I guess as @KnitOrMiss stated with very heavy processing. I would honestly avoid that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    So revisited, just for my own edification...

INGREDIENTS
    Ingredients: Medium Chain Triglycerides, Soluble Corn Fiber, Sodium Caseinate, Sunflower Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide.

Contains: Milk-Derived Ingredients.

So, the MCT, obvious.

Soluble Corn Fiber??? GMO CITY!!! Plus, isn't this what they use in quest bars now that's getting such a bad rap for how the changed the formula?

Sodium Caseinate - assuming this is related to casein from milk. Why is there milk in coconut oil??

Sunflower Lecithin - at least it isn't soy, though sunflower isn't the best for everyone anyway.

Silicon dioxide - this is a standard thing in lots of powders...

But yeah, personally, I prefer my MCT to be only MCT... Most of the rest of these things worry me at least on some level. And the big one to me is that the serving size is 9 grams. 28 grams is a TBSP... So for 1/3 of a TBSP, aka 1 tsp, you get 1 gram carbs (which is the corn fiber that may or may not affect you). So if you use 1 TBSP...

Oh, and just saw this - Received this reply from Quest Nutrition: "The breakdown for our MCT powder we use: 67% Caprylic (C8), 33% Capric (C10), 0% Lauric (C12)" ...

It has NO Lauric acid. That's the beneficial stuff in coconut oil. The caprylic is the fastest acting one, capric is good, too, but NO LAURIC??? That's one of the best parts of the liquid, is that while you get the boost from the two fast acting ones, you still get SOME Lauric. If you use this, you will still need to have coconut oil in your diet regularly for the benefits of it...

And it is said to add a creamy flavor/texture, almost like powdered creamer...why would want that - some folks are lactose/casein intolerant - or flat out allergic to milk... I don't see adding milk to a pure substance as advantageous. So it is not paleo ok, either...
  • stefne888
    eeekkkk so I will stay away from it. I use Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil already in my coffee.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @stefne888 - I would say for "in a pinch," "while traveling," or "for workouts" or something, maybe, you could keep this in your back pocket. But for every day, you might use MCT and coconut oil, in balance, just for the extra clear energy boost. The cheapest I've found it is to get the Carrrington Farms brand "liquid coconut cooking oil." It is actually MCT, just marketed differently. I've swapped it out with my Buried Treasure MCT, and had no noticeable difference. I've seen it for around $8 (small bottle) and $14 or so (large bottle) at WM and $9 at Sprouts, but I don't remember if the one at Sprouts is the large or small bottle. I like it, just because I don't have to worry about melting a solid form, and it's a quicker boost of Caprylic and Capric acids...while still having Lauric... Most online brands are more expensive and you have to wait for shipping, etc.