Anyone on the Scarsdale diet?

Options
I am waiting on my book was on decades ago.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it, but after googling it and seeing the foods it is saying to eat, it seems odd to call it low carb as it is directing people to eat a lot of fruit. Fruit is high in sugar. The nutrients it has can be be found in veggies without getting all that sugar. Grapefruit, which seems to prefer, for example has 25 g carbs in a 1 cup serving, 16 of which are sugar. I also avoid bread completely. The "protein bread" I saw online by P28 had 12 g of carbs per slice. This would put you up to 37 carbs by the end of breakfast (31 net). That is more than my daily total. The high frequency of fruit and protein bread at dinner that I saw on the plan, sometimes where the entire dinner was "fruit salad - any combination of fruits" would scare me.

Just my 2 cents.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Not everyone here is aiming for keto levels, low carb is considered anything below 150g a day, which would work just fine for how this program sounds.

OP what did you like about the program originally, why did you stop? I've personally never heard of it, but if you like it and it works for you go for it. I'd love to hear updates on your success or struggles.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with it either and didn't look into it.
    I personally don't eat fruit because I don't want to consume that much sugar because I do want to maintain full time ketosis for my own personal reasons, but I don't believe that my way should be a standard for all in any way.
    While I think lots of people will do great eating fruit even a few times a day along with other non processed carbs, I do think an entire dinner of fruit salad isn't generally a great idea. Lol
    Anyway, I encourage you to talk about what interests you about this plan and you may find others here eat similarly even if they don't follow this exact diet. It could be a helpful resource for lots of this low carb community.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Looks low carb to me. And definitely slow carb and low crap!
    :)
    http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thescarsdalemedicaldiet/id18.html

Unfortunately, it's also considered VL calorie by some.... make sure you eat enough!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As we have all been reminded over and over, the word "diet" is bad news. What we're aiming for is a way of eating that we can sustain for the rest of our healthy lives. If the Scarsdale WOE is something you can see yourself thriving on over the long term, it's good. Otherwise, it's not good.

Trust me on this one. I'm so old I can remember the hoopla over The Grapefruit Diet, The Cabbage Soup Diet, The Brewer's Yeast Diet (seriously) ..... You get the idea.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Boy, that is a name I haven't heard since childhood! The scandal of the scarsdale doctor murder came out in movie form when I was young. And it came out fairly quickly (for the times) after the sentencing. Jean Harris spent her time in prison teaching and there was quite a compelling documentary on her life that I clearly remember..

It overshadowed the diet but it was extremely popular in its time and it worked. And he got rich from the diet book. How sustainable it was, I don't know.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Geez.... What a blast from the past... ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LOL. I remember all of that too @dasher602014. I'm 62 yrs. old. The Scarsdale Diet came out in publication shortly after the original Atkin's Diet. It was generally: higher protein, low fat and moderate carb.

I looked the ratios up just now and if I get them right...43% protein, 22.5% fat, 34.5% carbs. Is that adding up to 100%. :) It did popularize grapefruit. I like grapefruit (I don't eat it currently).

I'll add the caution to OP @classykaren : if you are taking ANY medications be sure to check if grapefruit has any effects on your medication.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As we have all been reminded over and over, the word "diet" is bad news. What we're aiming for is a way of eating that we can sustain for the rest of our healthy lives. If the Scarsdale WOE is something you can see yourself thriving on over the long term, it's good. Otherwise, it's not good.

Trust me on this one. I'm so old I can remember the hoopla over The Grapefruit Diet, The Cabbage Soup Diet, The Brewer's Yeast Diet (seriously) ..... You get the idea.

I disagree about the word diet. One can be on a weight loss diet within their lifestyle. I am.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

I disagree about the word diet. One can be on a weight loss diet within their lifestyle. I am.

I agree, the word diet had been given a negative view when it's combined with specific forms of limited eating. As a noun it is simply what a person eats