New to this group

Options
judis100
judis100 Posts: 63 Member
Hello -
I am new the MFP community and just learned about this group. I am an emotional eater and food addict. I read some prior posts on emotional eating and food addiction on this site from a Search and it was a bit discouraging - many responses challenging the concept of food addiction and the poster's experience.

I recently posted this on a thread from the Motivation and Support group but should have posted it here instead.
I am an emotional eater, have always eaten when I'm anxious. I used to think the butterflies-in-my-stomach feeling I get when I'm anxious was hunger, because eating always made it go away! This year I also realized I'm a food addict. I came home for lunch one day looking forward to the BLT I was planning to make but my 14yo daughter had used all the bacon I'd made feeding her friends. I felt such a rage, and when I came down from that I felt so much shame about it and I realized I was a food addict. My eating/dieting history makes so much more sense to me now.

I'd love to make some friends in this group who can relate.

Judi

Replies

• NFLFreak90
    NFLFreak90 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am also new here and I am glad that I found this group. I have been an emotional eater almost all my life and I hate it. I think this group is a great way for us emotional eaters to support one another through those tough days. I am looking for friends so feel free to add me as a friend!
  • GalatiansTwoTwenty
    Options
    This is my 7th day with MFP. I am about ready to give up like I have so many times when I have tried to do better with my eating/exercise. I am an emotional eater - I am 52 years old and struggled all of my life, dealing with life's struggles through eating.

I would be honored to be your friend. We all need someone who will be kind and understanding and supportive in our struggles.

The only way I know to add a friend from this point is to click on the person's picture and send them a message. I am not just new to MFP, I am new to the internet. Is there another way to add a friend?

Many, many blessings.
  • NFLFreak90
    NFLFreak90 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not sure of any other ways to add someone other than the method that you mentioned, that is how I have been doing it so maybe that is the only way. I have been doing this for two days and no one has explained it to me yet. But I did add you so we are now friends!
  • readyandwilling2
    readyandwilling2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I am also new to MFP and just started joining the groups...this one will be a big one for me. Definitely an emotional eater but I realize now how much I need to work on my relationship with food. I have never been one of those people who doesn't know what I need to do to lose the weight I just can't seem to stick with it for an extended period of time. Looking forward to 'chatting' the people on this board.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone, I relate to you all. Glad you are here. I seem to be afraid of hunger. Well, I have a lot of emotions I try to eat through. Lately I am working on eating slowly. So I at least can have more consciousness of the food as I eat it. I stop after chewing and swallowing and wait until I counted to 10 in french. I hope tjis turns into a new habit to rplace the old one of mindlessly eating too fast.
    Good to read how you all have become aware of yourselves in regard to eating.
    I will enjoy reading mor of your posts! :)