Cold - home remedies with honey?

Options
LokiGrrl
LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't figure out how to do a search specific to this group, and I have a cold so my brain is not working on all thrusters.

As I said I have a cold with a very sore throat. My granny had two home remedies that work great on sore throats, but both contain honey - about a tbsp each I guess, I have always just eyeballed, and haven't had occasion to use them since starting low carb. The honey, besides being delicious, coats and soothes the throat and stops coughing (this is how my granny explained it to me).

Unfortunately honey is full of carbs, and I'm coming off a slacktastic period where I didn't log and ate cookies and candy and probably too many calories too. Today is the day I picked to come back down to earth and get real about things again, and I don't want to put it off again due to a little bug; on the other hand my throat feels like it is full of knives, and swallowing and talking hurt.

If anyone has any suggestions or opinions on how I should proceed in this regard, I would be most thankful. I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to decide, but I'm kind of brain-dead at the moment.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I personally would use the honey, I did last week in water with acv to help with a bad bought of heart burn, acv on its own wasn't cutting it. But what works for one doesn't work for everyone. 1 tbsp is 17g carbs all from sugar, not awful probably compared to the candy and cookies ;) lol. Hope you feel better soon.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Not sure how low carb your plan is. You could use the honey towards your carbs and eat basically 0 carb for the day. Just meat, cheese, fats, and broth. That could keep you in goal.

Also no science here just my own experience...I used to get strep throat all the time. I had my tonsils out and still got it all the time. Then I started drinking apple cider vinegar every morning and I've not have strep since. If I feel like I'm getting a sore throat I up the ACV to around 3 times a day. It always makes it go away. I drink it in a shot glass with half vinegar, half water but you can mix into a bigger glass of water, with tea, or add no carb sweetener as needed.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Also try gargling with warm salt water. It really does help!

I hope you feel better soon!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'd put Granny's sure fire honey remedy front and center if I knew it worked (and it seems you do). Down the hatch. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Using honey is more of a treat a symptom thing. I would skip it for my preference of having as little sugar as humanly possible.
    If you want to give your immune system a big boost to completely fight off whatever big you've got, get some vitamin C. Not those sugary chewables or teas, just plain ascorbic acid tablets in 1000mg each. Take 1 every 2 hours unless you get loose stool. If you do, back off to 1 every 3 hours.
    I take 10000-15000mg a day as a maintenance dose to ward off little nasties
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and well wishes! I am going to go ahead with the honey, which is not mysterious - tea of your choice with honey and lemon during the day, and an oversized shot glass filled halfway with bourbon (or your choice of liquor, at least 80 proof), then honey, with a squeeze of lemon juice for nighttime.

Soooo I am going to go do a shot of AVC and make tea right now. :) I think we may have some vitamin C tablets around here, will look. Again, thank you everyone!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    If honey works for you, take it. Focus on getting yourself well and back to 100% and continue to eat your every day low carb meals (no cookies, lol). If you need dayquil or nyquil get the tablets because the liquids are full of sugar, and if you need cough drops there are sugar free cough drops. If you develop a sore throat and need ice cream there's Halo top, Arctic zero and Breyers carb smart ice cream to choose from.

There's only so much you can do when you get sick :) You can cut out the honey when you're better.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Broth with some spices especially pepper and heat in a small pot. Lay a towel on your chest and eat it straight from the pot. The steam will open you up and the broth will soothe the throat. Get better soon.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    The last time I had a really bad sore throat, I did decide to try honey in tea once or twice a day. It did seem to help the throat more than anything else, and I would only do 1 tsp at a time. FWIW it didn't seem to have any effect on my weight loss or the other benefits of keto.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Usually when I have a sore throat I constantly sip on some sort of fluid. Usually I end up taking twice my normal amount of fluids a day on that. But it keeps my throat wet and keeps the soreness away. Keeps your steps up too, with all the peeing going on.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with not feeling so hot. I'm currently snorting zicam giving that a go and digging through my cabinet for vit c. So far I've only found my sons organic vitamin c lollipops don't think I should use those.....