WTF! is this some kind of a joke?

Options
Abm4n
Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
An advert for Kelloggs Coco Puffs just popped up while I was on a low carb thread of MFP. Is this someone's idea of a joke? I wonder what kind of twisted algorhythm made that link?

Replies

• ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You mean Coco Puffs aren't on plan?!?

I use the MFP app so thankfully no ads here except on the feed. I can deal with that. Those aren't even true ads either.

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I hear MFP's adds are all kinds of unhealthy. Lol
  • jabu12345
    jabu12345 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Haha...yeah I get those too. Usually it McDonald's adds.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Those adverts are most likely google ads that come form websites you have visited in the past. My ads are usually from Bulletproof or Amazon :lol:
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I get ads for Mc Donalds a lot, probably because I googled Mc Donalds looking for nutritional info without the bun, stuff like that.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I get those dumb ads, too. Carbage ads on here make me laugh!
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I used to stay full on Coco Pops when I was a kid. I'd run around all day and be fine with it. As I got older I got more "lazy" and couldn't stay full for a half hour on it. Lol just wondering. Odd.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Those adverts are most likely google ads that come form websites you have visited in the past. My ads are usually from Bulletproof or Amazon :lol:

This! It's from something in your search history...MFP has no control. Mine is Pottery Barn at the moment.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm on Instagram and all of my posts and hashtags are about healthy eating, yet Instagram decided to serve me up an add about cake :disappointed: Fortunately you can educate Instagram and tell them that's not the kind of ads you're interested in... And no, I hadn't googled cake or dessert lately lol. That ad was promptly removed from my newsfeed!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Get an ad blocker. Problem solved. At least on the computer.
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    How can you build up your resistance to temptation if you are never tempted? And, @ProCoffeenator, it isn't that Coco Puffs aren't on plan, it's that Coco Puffs aren't even food! LoL

Rabbit poop in a bowl of milk....
    Even my kids won't eat that crap!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm on Instagram and all of my posts and hashtags are about healthy eating, yet Instagram decided to serve me up an add about cake :disappointed: Fortunately you can educate Instagram and tell them that's not the kind of ads you're interested in... And no, I hadn't googled cake or dessert lately lol. That ad was promptly removed from my newsfeed!

I shared a funny meme on Facebook about Country Crock and an ad for that "butter" showed up for it in my Instagram. The meme was something to the effect of "If you had this as a kid you've used the bucket as a cereal bowl" which, I did. So I did what any normal person would do on on social media and I continued making fun of their product in their Instagram comments. Sorry fake butter company.

What's extra creepy about this is I never typed the words "country crock" on Facebook and to my knowledge haven't ever googled it. Honestly I didn't even know it still existed. They would have had to have known that particular meme was tied to that company to spit out that ad to me.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The MFP ads I get are definitely related to my most recent searches. Why hello WestJet, I would love to fly away somewhere in my spiffy new sports bra!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The MFP ads I get are definitely related to my most recent searches. Why hello WestJet, I would love to fly away somewhere in my spiffy new sports bra!!

And you can stay at Hyatt with a 10% discount @ Hyatt.com! :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    mine are mostly recent searches or sites I visited. but you can also get ones if you are on a page that has certain words. especially on the forums here, people post about McDonalds or whatever and that can bring the ads too. like I've never searched for anything British airways or fiat, but somehow they are triggering off of something
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Facebook has brilliant image recognition software, you can bet they know that picture had Country Crock in it!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Explains why I keep getting financial articles up and Amazon. I guess I am a proper bore!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    The worse is for me on my work PC. I work for a customs broker so I am constantly looking up part numbers/descriptions of tools, car parts, teas, WHATEVER MY CUSTOMERS ARE IMPORTING, so my ads are truly random!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I just made a post that suggested the app that I use to block ads and got a notice that my post was on on hold pending review. Guess they don't want more MFP members blocking their ads!