Lurking

Options
Hiya everyone. I've been lurking around for a few months now. Started keto on 5/12 after I was shocked by an exceptionally high blood sugar. (Felt really strange and used my moms kit for BS and blood pressure.) Four months later and my blood sugars are still about 130's. (Did drop into 90's for a couple weeks at first.) Went to see a doctor today finally. He says Metformin twice a day and Lisinopril to protected my kidney function. Waiting on lab results before he sends the scripts (and dosage) and should hear from him today. I've heard of Metformin and that it is good for insulin resistance and lowering blood sugar without going low. I don't know anything about Lisinopril.

I asked him about testing insulin levels and he said no we don't like to put people on insulin the first round but you aren't producing enough. I countered with being desensitized to insulin and he did agree that could be the case. But how do we know without testing?
Doctor said he is diabetic and his blood sugar was 102 this morning but works very hard at it. I am hoping my body will reverse the damage I have done over the years and I won't have to work so hard at it. I feel that lchf is pretty freaking easy. I did say the words "Nutritional ketosis" but he didn't comment.

Anyhow, I've lost about 70lbs in the last 4 months (@150 to go) and very much enjoy this way of eating. I feel great. Super energy. I do all the cooking so my mom and 15 year old daughter are both lchf also. I have not eaten off plan and do plan on eating this way for life.

So, hi to everyone! I'm going to keep calm and keto on!

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi Welcome to the group!

Did your dr run a fasting blood glucose? do you have any numbers to compare to other than your at home test? seems rather concerning that his immediate response was to put you on something even before seeing your lab work.

ETA: congrats on your weight loss so far, That's incredible!
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    He did test fasting finger stick. I tested at home at 137 and his test was 155 an hour later. Waiting for A1c results still. My damn phone isn't ringing!
    I did go in there thinking I should take metformin for a while, kinda why I went in the first place. I freaking hate going to the doctors.
    Thanks!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your 70 pound loss!
    Others can answer questions regarding Metformin. I dunno.
    Lisinopril, I've taken.
    It is commonly prescribed as blood pressure medication.
    I was on it for high blood pressure.
    A low dose and it was very effective in reducing my BP.
    I was not eating keto at that time.

I would be observant/aware regarding how you feel regarding and your blood pressure while taking Lisinopril and eating keto. I'm aware you and your body are not new to keto but you are new to lisinopril. I am aware you indicated it was prescribed to you to protect your kidney function.

Lisinopril is a blood pressure medication usually prescribed for lowering blood pressure so just keep this in mind.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know anything about the kidney medication at all but I'm not a big fan of "preventive" meds in general. Most of the things they think are automatically going to happen to diabetics no matter what at some point in time absolutely do not need to happen at all if you reverse the insulin resistance.
    And the fact that he thinks you don't make enough insulin tells me this guy is old school. You make too much insulin. Thats how insulin resistance and T2D work. Smh
    I know many people on here still use metfotmin and that the brand is usually preferred to the generic. I also still think it's possible to wait a bit longer or add some fasting to your plan to further improve the insulin resistance and see if it speeds the reversal.
    But metformin may be a good option and will probably only be temporary if you stick with keto
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know anything about the kidney medication at all but I'm not a big fan of "preventive" meds in general. Most of the things they think are automatically going to happen to diabetics no matter what at some point in time absolutely do not need to happen at all if you reverse the insulin resistance.
    And the fact that he thinks you don't make enough insulin tells me this guy is old school. You make too much insulin. Thats how insulin resistance and T2D work. Smh
    I know many people on here still use metfotmin and that the brand is usually preferred to the generic. I also still think it's possible to wait a bit longer or add some fasting to your plan to further improve the insulin resistance and see if it speeds the reversal.
    But metformin may be a good option and will probably only be temporary if you stick with keto

yeah that's a little concerning too.

OP is this a gp or an endocrinologist?

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to welcome you to the group.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    This guys is a Physician's Assistant. He said Lisinopril was used to protect the kidneys. I did try to ask about insulin resistance, I really did! I also said I heard about stomach issues on Metformin and he said "that's while we'll start you on a low dose." I feel like I went in there informed and everything went sideways. I get so nervous and feel like I'm not saying what I mean. He also said he was going to get me some "training" and I'm assuming that's to tell me to spread out my bread and potatoes through out the day. =p
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    My blood pressure was 110/82 btw.
    Not sure I want to take any bp meds. I really don't want to take any meds but I am willing to try the metformin.
    Thanks for your input and the welcomes. :)
  • kpk54
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes. "Protect the kidneys" can certainly be found under info regarding Lisinopril when doing a search. Lisinopril is however an ACE inhibitor and is used primarily to treat high blood pressure (and other things associated with the heart).

I was just wanting you to be aware of "how you feel" when using it. You did not indicate any blood pressure issues and I'm not saying being prescribed Lisinopril to protect your kidneys is wrong.

Lisinopril can cause things like dizziness, light headedness, headache, etc. These are also common to keto. As I said above, while you are not new to keto, you are new to Lisinopril. I would hate for you to think "keto flu" when it could be the Lisinopril.

I have no idea how keto and Lisinopril react to one another but I would be aware...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Lisinopril worked well for me as a BP medicine. I don't know exactly how it protects the kidneys, but it works in the body by causing the cellular walls to relax. It has minimal side effects for most people. It is one of the best tolerate meds, and someone else recently asked me about taking this for kidney protect as a diabetic, but I can't remember off hand who it was. I can tell you that after taking it for over a year, I developed a severe side effect of sun rash. I could literally walk from my car into a store or vice versa and end up with what looked like a 6-8 hour sunburn. It was determined that I was sensitive to ACE inhibitors (of which lisinopril is one), and so I would not be allowed to try anything else in that "class" as most of have similar side effects. As a result, I was switched to a beta blocker, which works by slowing down your heart rate and some other things... Not sure I'm a fan of it either, but I have HBP only as a result of the side effect of another medication.

As for Metformin, don't let it scare you. It can be very helpful. The biggest things FOR ME were that I had to avoid dairy 2-4 hours on either side of a dose (otherwise it triggered diarrhea), as well as avoiding all actual sugars, most starches, and not allowing my daily carbs over 50-60, ever. I also took mine shortly after breakfast / in the am, as it energized me, so I needed that boost in the AM, not PM. @RalfLott recently had a post on why to request brand named glucophage rather than the generic, or at least request your pharmacy to stay consistent with your generic, etc. I am considering having to get back on the Metformin after having a bad off plan episode that almost trippled my fasting insulin levels.

And the fact that you asked for a fasting insulin level, and this guy started talking to you about medical grade insulin - tells me he is incompetent in this particular area, and honestly, I would run screaming like my butt was on fire AWAY from that person before he prescribed medication that would hurt me. A fasting insulin level shows what your levels are in your body. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with oral or injected insulin as a product, not if you aren't already taking it. How you are describing what you said here tells me, @Rainqueen77, that you picked a bad egg out of the medical bag - because what you said made perfect sense to me, someone whose endocrinologist identified my insulin resistance by asking me questions - WHEN MY FASTING GLUCOSE AND A1C BOTH INDICATED THAT I DIDN'T HAVE PREDISPOSITION TO AN INSULIN RESISTANCE SITUATION. Both of those results were in the range for normal. Yes, by asking me some questions, he put me on Metformin and immediately had me take a fasting insulin test. I got my levels down on my own, then had a bad carby/sugary binge after getting off Metformin due to success with low carbing, and tripled my fasting rates. I brought it back down a significant big in 6 weeks, but I've been having issues with my sugar cravings and utter lack of willpower due to a number of outside influences (moved, at carbs while moving because cheaper and easier to eat on the go, etc., continued AFTER move was complete, not at intermittent binge stage)... If I cannot get my fasting insulin level back down before my appointment in about a month, I will be in serious trouble with my doctor, and honestly, with myself and my health.

I can FEEL how badly it is affecting me. I'm just struggling to get my footing again... Hope this helps some.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hiya! Welcome aboard and congrats on the loss! I'm a T2 diabetic too and this woe is the best change I've ever made, sounds like it's rocking your world too! Keep on making those positive health changes :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Yes. "Protect the kidneys" can certainly be found under info regarding Lisinopril when doing a search. Lisinopril is however an ACE inhibitor and is used primarily to treat high blood pressure (and other things associated with the heart).

I was just wanting you to be aware of "how you feel" when using it. You did not indicate any blood pressure issues and I'm not saying being prescribed Lisinopril to protect your kidneys is wrong.

Lisinopril can cause things like dizziness, light headedness, headache, etc. These are also common to keto. As I said above, while you are not new to keto, you are new to Lisinopril. I would hate for you to think "keto flu" when it could be the Lisinopril.

I have no idea how keto and Lisinopril react to one another but I would be aware...

I started Lisinopril long before I went keto, and I didn't notice any transitional changes until later. I had a very physically taxing event that left me out in the heat without electrolytes or fluids over several days, and my thyroid issue flared out of control, and keto stopped working for me, nearly altogether. It was after all of this hormone-fried-system reaction I had that I developed the sun-rash reaction to Lisinopril, which was something like 2 years after I started it, and I had a month low carb, and another 4 or so months keto before all this happened.

So be aware that things can change in your body...keep track of symptoms, and report anything unusual, if you elect to try the medication, but be aware, too, that it could drop your blood pressure significantly, since you're not high now, and that could create other problems, though your doctor should monitor that as well.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am not a diabetic, so I have no first hand knowledge of the condition, but a big shout out for such an incredibile weight loss!! Welcome to the forum.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. This is a great place with lots of support and knowledge!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I was just wanting you to be aware of "how you feel" when using it.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So be aware that things can change in your body...keep track of symptoms, and report anything unusual, if you elect to try the medication, but be aware, too, that it could drop your blood pressure significantly, since you're not high now, and that could create other problems, though your doctor should monitor that as well.

Great advice.

Alas, ACE inhibitors can also cause a dry cough or a feeling of phlegm stuck in your gullet.

Not a good scenario for someone who depends on a healthy speaking or singing voice...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Welcome. If you have been lurking, you probably know there are many who are diabetic or pre-diabetic or insulin resistant in this group. I have moved from diabetic back to pre-diabetic. I was on Metformin for about 6-8 weeks. The only side affect was some bloating and gas for me. I hear that is common at the beginning and goes away for many. Fortunately, I have reversed it enough to no longer need any meds now. Working hard to continue to bring it down.

As for your situation, the fact you only saw a PA is a bit concerning. I am also guessing from what you said that he is part of a family/general practice and not an endocrinology practice. When I was diagnosed, I quickly found and endo. Not sure I picked the best one, but one thing you have to understand is those in a family/general practice are essentially a jack of all trades and master of none. They have to know at least something about so many different things there is no way they can stay up to date on anything.

For that reason, I would recommend doing some research on the endocrinologists available to you (probably can get quite a bit of info from your insurance website) and get another opinion before starting any meds.

Although there are many here with the same or similar medical condition as you, we are all unique so there is no one size fits all. Even the research that clearly shows LC is the best first option for diabetes shows it is not effective for 100% of the people who try it. For instance, in point 11 of this link, it shows 4 of the 12 on LC had no change in meds needed.

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext

Considering 11 out of 13 on the traditional treatment still required the same meds does show LC is far more effective for far more people, though.

Again, welcome. Feel free to chime in any time. We all like to hear how others in our situation are progressing. We are here to encourage and be encouraged.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome report. Welcome to MFP forums. LCHF has been a game changer for me for two years now.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic and was also prescribed metformin but decided against taking it. I am also not a fan for taking medication just to take it, only when absolutely needed and in this instance it seemed like more of a preventative measure more than anything. I'm still on the fence about it. I don't know anything about the other one you listed.

Welcome :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    This guys is a Physician's Assistant. He said Lisinopril was used to protect the kidneys. I did try to ask about insulin resistance, I really did! I also said I heard about stomach issues on Metformin and he said "that's while we'll start you on a low dose." I feel like I went in there informed and everything went sideways. I get so nervous and feel like I'm not saying what I mean. He also said he was going to get me some "training" and I'm assuming that's to tell me to spread out my bread and potatoes through out the day. =p

Been there. You're not alone.
  • Rainqueen77
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! He wants to see me again in a week. I will ask for a referral for an endo that makes a lot of sense. Haven't heard from him so no lab results yet.